tradegirl

Dealer to dealer etiquette

Ok this happened last night and I'm still seething.

Got a message on eBay Only saying "£3700?" on a £4500 car. That's bad enough when it's Joe/Ali Public, but the kicker is this person (and I hope it's no one in here) is a motor/motor home trader. 

I wouldn't send a message like that to a private seller, let alone a trader. And to top it off, he says that's all he has cash, even though he's selling a £50k Lotus, and £86k worth of motorhomes. Biting my tongue not to tell this person what I really think.

Sorry, just needed to vent. I know it's all business, but it still grinds my gears!

If he is a registered business seller on ebay, then there will be a VAT number ;0) Tell him your trade price and say you will of course do a full Trade Sales invoice and will list his already displayed VAT number of XXXXX on it and charge him a tad more for the cost of paying the cash in

That or tell him to politely do one.

4 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

If he is a registered business seller on ebay, then there will be a VAT number ;0) Tell him your trade price and say you will of course do a full Trade Sales invoice and will list his already displayed VAT number of XXXXX on it and charge him a tad more for the cost of paying the cash in

That or tell him to politely do one.

I tip my hat to you! I'd never have thought of that. Unfortunately no VAT number though. But told him politely it's a no go. I'd let the car go for £4k as I'd happily roll the money over, but over £100k worth of assets and he can't scrape up another £300? :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I tip my hat to you! I'd never have thought of that. Unfortunately no VAT number though. But told him politely it's a no go. I'd let the car go for £4k as I'd happily roll the money over, but over £100k worth of assets and he can't scrape up another £300? :rolleyes:

Stocking loans can make a struggling business look like a very successful one ... Look at Caralot for example !

• Like 1

Send him this;

Hi, sorry but if you’re struggling to raise the difference I can accept the difference from a credit card (if you have one) by issuing you a purchase invoice via PayPal. 
Please bear in mind that I may have other people interested in it so it's best to call me BEFORE you travel to confirm it is still available.

Best Regards :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tadams said:

Stocking loans can make a struggling business look like a very successful one ... Look at Caralot for example !

Tadams, I know all too well that tied up capital doesn't mean you're comfortable. But we're talking £300, You can borrow that off near enough anybody if you want the car.

12 minutes ago, BHM said:

Send him this;

Hi, sorry but if you’re struggling to raise the difference I can accept the difference from a credit card (if you have one) by issuing you a purchase invoice via PayPal. 
Please bear in mind that I may have other people interested in it so it's best to call me BEFORE you travel to confirm it is still available.

Best Regards :lol:

Haha! How did you all become so wiley at this?

You had a low ball offer from someone off eBay and you’re still seething? 

Yesterday my trusted garages set fire to one of my cars. It’s a long story but the story still ends with a giant hole in the engine bay where an engine used to be. Accidents happen and i’d forgotten about it a few hours later. 

You could always just delete his email and forget about him. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, EPV said:

Yesterday my trusted garages set fire to one of my cars. It’s a long story but the story still ends with a giant hole in the engine bay where an engine used to be. Accidents happen and i’d forgotten about it a few hours later. 

What went wrong?

Burn baby burn...

21 minutes ago, EPV said:

Jesus, what happened? Funnily enough I'm used to mechanical  misfortunes and losing money. Don't even bat an eyelid anymore, money comes and goes. But I still can't stand people taking the mickey.

Now what about your car? Did it take out ECUs etc?

2 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

What went wrong?

Burn baby burn...

Bits of the engine were left off during a fix. The car was in the way so was pushed out of the way. One of the technicians didn’t know or forgot or is thick and needed to move the car back out of his way, so he started it. The combustion chamber decided it didn’t like life anymore and made a run for its freedom and there you have it. Shit happens! 

46 minutes ago, EPV said:

One thing i learned in the first few months was to delete and / or ignore.

It works well for business and in personal life. 

Life's too short to think about small sh..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

One thing i learned in the first few months was to delete and / or ignore.

It works well for business and in personal life. 

Life's too short to think about small sh..

And I bet you had plenty of opportunities to delete and ignore in your previous life!

Only way forward with some of the planks on ebay! Manners and being polite do not come into it !! I'd not want to sell to someone who has such an economy with words.. 

4 minutes ago, EPV said:

And I bet you had plenty of opportunities to delete and ignore in your previous life!

Haha. That's where i picked it up from!

Lots of transferable skills eg being rude yet polite and diplomatic :lol:

And taking good photographs

Do the same to him with the stuff he's got for sale .... but give it to him good and hard , see what his response is .

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

TG put up one of his item numbers..... let the fun begin :lol:

That's a bit low and devious.

I like it!

I had one not to long back with huge long message about how much the car is worth and how much I should trade it to him for... DELETE

• Like 1

Under his. Usiness Seller Details and address it says (wording/spelling copied and pasted direct):

’all item are sold as seen,no warrenty’

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

TG put up one of his item numbers..... let the fun begin :lol:

Simon, Merry Christmas :D

I tell em bid accepted come and fetch it .

When they get here its sold , Mate at that price my wife bought it LOL :) your to late .