Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Are you ever HAPPY with your sales figures?

16 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

So in answer to Nick , No I'm not happy , But I damn well will be trying to improve tomorrow and that makes me ecstatic . 

Great post, loved the bit with the many £ signs, I'll come work for you for a day (let's hope it's a busy one)

28 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Not one to get down on a months figures  

Its what you do each year when in business , make this deal  better than the previous is the goal . 

Each deal earns money in my world , some more than others and lady luck does play a part in this job I must admit .

Take one example ; Buy car £15k and sell make profit with px and bolt ons + commission on finance , take px  and prep to sell on at profit plus bolt ons and commission on finance & PX ,  take px and sell after prep for profit , down the line this goes till you get a £100 chopper and sell out to last of line customers for £500 sometimes its 6-8 cars till its finished Known one deal last 15 cars and finish with a 50cc moped .

Another example buy car £15k sell on debit card no bolt ons , no Commission for finance with no chain finishing with £400 profit on a banger .

This is in my view how things can change a great month into a medium month as Ex 1 earns £8/9,000 poss £12k  , Ex 2 earns maybe £1,800 

My MOTTO is chase every £££££££££££ i can get out of them EVERY single time , every customer , learn new tricks every day to increase profits , As my old dad said ;

"Lad if its not working its not the job ITS YOU " Get off your arse and make it work and don't let me hear you MOANING "I never moaned :)

Plus , if your happy your NOT pushing for profit and you have met your ceiling , I don't have a ceiling ,as my wife puts it "your never satisfied :) " She doesn't get drive :) 

The old lads are romancers too , they earned pro rota similar money as us  , it was hard , stock didn't fall at their feet , customers were just the same . There was great traders , lazy traders and shit traders just like today , traders who earned money and traders who lost it all just like today . 

November 

Today we bought 4 and sold 4 + two phone deposits taken for Friday and Sat , took two PX as well , two sales on finance , all upgrade warranties , one paint protection . 

£1200 in warranty upgrades £299 paint protection +  £1400 in finance commissions with Metal profits too on top . .

I don't trawl through last weeks / months / years figures chasing rainbows , I watch /learn /think of different approaches , modify techniques , change ideas , Adapt and survive  and in my thinking that moves you forward one deal at a time , its where the fun is for me , Deal Deal Deal Profit profit profit  , as the happy customer drives away i smile and that's the kick of working .

So in answer to Nick , No I'm not happy , But I damn well will be trying to improve tomorrow and that makes me ecstatic . 

I'm very very old school though , so you young un's  can ignore me LOL :) if you want :)

David Big LIKE 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Nick M.K. said:
On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Nick M.K. said:

I read a couple of posts recently and some people seem to have had a great month, others only just scraped by... 

I had a very good November, probably my best ever (not finished yet so the calculator isn't out) but I personally am never ever happy with my sales, I always think I could've done two-three more, could've sold certain cars for more or quicker, could've paid less for some part exes or repairs and in general when I do the figures I have this sense of unfinished business. 

So, do you reward yourselves at the end of a good month or go into the next trying to better it?

I honestly think it is in our nature to want to do more, you need the drive in order to keep at it day in day out. I honestly don't beat myself up anymore providing I have done everything in my power to succeed. I am older now(Almost 50) but I still love a deal but one has to enjoy life also, there are no pockets in shrouds!!

15 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Its what you do each year when in business , make this deal  better than the previous is the goal . 

Each deal earns money in my world , some more than others and lady luck does play a part in this job I must admit .

Take one example ; Buy car £15k and sell make profit with px and bolt ons + commission on finance , take px  and prep to sell on at profit plus bolt ons and commission on finance & PX ,  take px and sell after prep for profit , down the line this goes till you get a £100 chopper and sell out to last of line customers for £500 sometimes its 6-8 cars till its finished Known one deal last 15 cars and finish with a 50cc moped .

Another example buy car £15k sell on debit card no bolt ons , no Commission for finance with no chain finishing with £400 profit on a banger .

This is in my view how things can change a great month into a medium month as Ex 1 earns £8/9,000 poss £12k  , Ex 2 earns maybe £1,800 

My MOTTO is chase every £££££££££££ i can get out of them EVERY single time , every customer , learn new tricks every day to increase profits , As my old dad said ;

"Lad if its not working its not the job ITS YOU " Get off your arse and make it work and don't let me hear you MOANING "I never moaned :)

Plus , if your happy your NOT pushing for profit and you have met your ceiling , I don't have a ceiling ,as my wife puts it "your never satisfied :) " She doesn't get drive :) 

The old lads are romancers too , they earned pro rota similar money as us  , it was hard , stock didn't fall at their feet , customers were just the same . There was great traders , lazy traders and shit traders just like today , traders who earned money and traders who lost it all just like today . 

November 

Today we bought 4 and sold 4 + two phone deposits taken for Friday and Sat , took two PX as well , two sales on finance , all upgrade warranties , one paint protection . 

£1200 in warranty upgrades £299 paint protection +  £1400 in finance commissions with Metal profits too on top . .

I don't trawl through last weeks / months / years figures chasing rainbows , I watch /learn /think of different approaches , modify techniques , change ideas , Adapt and survive  and in my thinking that moves you forward one deal at a time , its where the fun is for me , Deal Deal Deal Profit profit profit  , as the happy customer drives away i smile and that's the kick of working .

I'm very very old school though , so you young un's  can ignore me LOL :) if you want :)

David what can I say ! #agree 100% !

17 hours ago, David Horgan said:

November 

Best post I have read in a long while, really motivational - thank you.

Please can I ask what you stock profile looks like.  I love the add-ons but at my end of the market (£5k ish retail stock), I am reluctant to extend (self administered) warranties.  I have just obtained FCA approval though, so an exciting opportunity to earn some extra £££££'s as you put it.

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Please can I ask what you stock profile looks like.  I love the add-ons but at my end of the market (£5k ish retail stock), I am reluctant to extend (self administered) warranties.  I have just obtained FCA approval though, so an exciting opportunity to earn some extra £££££'s as you put it.

Hi Mark

out of interest, how long did your FCA approval take to come through? I did mine on Wednesday and it says up to 6 months but I assume thats their default answer.....

It depends whether you mean from start of application of from submission to FCA.

From start of application, just under 2 months - Close helped me.

From submission of completed application - less than 2 weeks

sent the application down the line to them on wednesday - so guess thats a 2 week wait then ( unless they take a lot of time off before Xmas)

1 hour ago, MattR said:

( unless they take a lot of time off before Xmas)

Well if they are a Goverment funded body it will be 4 weeks.

I wonder how long DVLA will take to get our trade plates done this year? Did anybody get theirs back before the new year last year?

14 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Did anybody get theirs back before the new year last year?

My paperwork arrived in Jan, payment wasn't taken until March! Sent it very early December. 

4 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

My paperwork arrived in Jan, payment wasn't taken until March! Sent it very early December. 

Bet you sent it already this year

10 hours ago, Mark101 said:

‘The old lads are romances too’ etc...I do like that........We can’t let these millennials know how it used to be.

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Bet you sent it already this year

I hadn’t even thought about it until I read this thread, will send it next week and come March I will definitely be legal to use the plates. Not that in 14 years of trading I have ever displayed them correctly. 

I don't think you can compare profits month by month. I prefer to do it year on year. 

Every month is different, this month you're easily sourced high profit Focus might be flying out the door, next month it could be the hard to find white Golf with lower margins. You need to adapt quickly and never put all your eggs (models) in the one basket 

When stock is hard to source such as in January, are you not better offf with 500 profit than the 1000 you would have had in December, rather than an empty yard and nothing at all to sell.

Every sale is a lesson, you are always learning, even after my 25 years in this trade I get a buzz when a happy customer drives away in a good car only to post a 5* review days/weeks later.

I have sold cars with little or no profit which still made me feel good, I have also sold cars to not very nice people with descent profit I'd rather forget.

I think we're never happy, always greedy and always looking for more