Sign in to follow this  
tradegirl

Can you tax a disabled car online?

Hi everyone. Sorry to come at you with another question. Got a car we're running around and wanted to tax it online but it's disabled class.
As far as I know you have to go into the Post Office and send off for a new V5 with a change of tax class, and tax it at the same time. You can't do it online.

Am I right? Or is there a way to do it online?

Thank you.

I am pretty certain you can only tax it at the Post Office as it will require a change of taxation class. That's what we do with any ex MFL cars we sell 

Hi TG,

You & L-P are right..Post Office is the easiest and quickest, you can't do it online..

TG, be aware that when you tax at the Post Office they will want to send off the V5 with new keeper details. Are you prepared to put an extra owner on it ?

We did one at the post office last week, they took the completed v5c from us and sent it off. 

RIP LVRO

Even though they were always 'rammed' the local vehicle registration office was handy?

Edited by met

41 minutes ago, met said:

RIP LVRO

Even though they were always 'rammed' the local vehicle registration office was handy?

+1

I used to curse at sitting there for hours with my fruit and veg counter type ticket but always got things done the same day

56 minutes ago, met said:

RIP LVRO

When they closed them they enabled the Post Office system to do a lot more than before. 

You can do virtually anything at a post office these days if unable to do it online. 

31 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

When they closed them they enabled the Post Office system to do a lot more than before. 

You can do virtually anything at a post office these days if unable to do it online. 

What about cherished transfers? - I've got a right one on the go (VAG drivers).

Had to be done by post because there was a gap in RFL - sent all forms and DVLA messed up, customer calling me out on it as well as saying I had taken too much money and got my invoice calculations wrong.  After 3 attempts to explain the maths, they finally agreed I was right having forgotten to carry the one over in their manual calculations.  The best bit............retired maths teacher.

• Like 1

If it's a Disabled Car I'd put it on SORN, after all you can't drive it if it's disabled 

BAZINGA :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark101 said:

What about cherished transfers? - I've got a right one on the go (VAG drivers).

Had to be done by post because there was a gap in RFL - sent all forms and DVLA messed up, customer calling me out on it as well as saying I had taken too much money and got my invoice calculations wrong.  After 3 attempts to explain the maths, they finally agreed I was right having forgotten to carry the one over in their manual calculations.  The best bit............retired maths teacher.

.... again, RIP LVRO

Piggy backing this with a stupid question. If I want to use a car I’ve currently got in stock in the same way (lovely MINI Checkmate that’s quite addictive to drive) can I just tax it online?

Essentially yes. Just tax online using the green slip. Its best to do on a direct debit or choose a car that is only £20/£30 a year to tax as you wont get a refund back when you sell it :-)

Edited by L-P

Direct debit probably best as it’s a bit pricey on tax.

On 13/11/2018 at 10:42 PM, L-P said:

TG, be aware that when you tax at the Post Office they will want to send off the V5 with new keeper details. Are you prepared to put an extra owner on it ?

We didn't want to, but unfortunately it's the only car available to use as a run around right now, and we couldn't tax it any other way. 

11 hours ago, CCC said:

Piggy backing this with a stupid question. If I want to use a car I’ve currently got in stock in the same way (lovely MINI Checkmate that’s quite addictive to drive) can I just tax it online?

This forum has me confused. On the one hand I get called out for using a stock car (when I got that ticket), and on the other hand others are doing the exact same thing and it's fine?

11 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

This forum has me confused. On the one hand I get called out for using a stock car (when I got that ticket), and on the other hand others are doing the exact same thing and it's fine?

BIg :lol:

I got a lot of "You'll get crucified with inspection" etc etc for my negative sales invoice query, turns out it is a perfectly acceptable procedure and lots of businesses do it, don't take the piss with it being the experts advice ;) 

Since I have only had 3 fitted part warranties in 3 years and haven't claimed labour on a single one of them, I think the qualifies for not taking the piss ;)

*I think that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

BIg :lol:

I got a lot of "You'll get crucified with inspection" etc etc for my negative sales invoice query, turns out it is a perfectly acceptable procedure and lots of businesses do it, don't take the piss with it being the experts advice ;) 

Since I have only had 3 fitted part warranties in 3 years and haven't claimed labour on a single one of them, I think the qualifies for not taking the piss ;)

*I think that

Dave, I assume it's trial and error and see what works for each individual business. Or people talk from their own experience which is valid of course, but individual circumstances differ.

2 hours ago, tradegirl said:

We didn't want to, but unfortunately it's the only car available to use as a run around right now, and we couldn't tax it any other way. 

I think it is the ‘putting another owner on it’ that raised eyebrows. 

I often think we work so hard/long and put up with so much more crap than if we were employed, that we deserve to drive around in something nice. 

However, you can guarantee that what you’re driving (if advertised as it should be) will have a call or an enquiry on and it’ll now be dirty etc. 

I sometimes drive a PX or a stock car (if I haven’t got the mutt with me) but I wouldn’t ever register it. 

If you’re flying then maybe it’s different to when you’re struggling......

3 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I think it is the ‘putting another owner on it’ that raised eyebrows. 

I often think we work so hard/long and put up with so much more crap than if we were employed, that we deserve to drive around in something nice. 

However, you can guarantee that what you’re driving (if advertised as it should be) will have a call or an enquiry on and it’ll now be dirty etc. 

I sometimes drive a PX or a stock car (if I haven’t got the mutt with me) but I wouldn’t ever register it. 

If you’re flying then maybe it’s different to when you’re struggling......

NOACROSS, my business partner needed a car to go to the airport and leave it there. Better to tie up a cheapo of sorts than one of the nicer cars which have had enquiries. At least if we lose a sale because the car isn't here, then it's not as much money potentially lost.

Personally, I always smoke the cheapest car I have in stock but enough is enough and next week I am going to smoke/keep the Disco until/unless someone offers me mega bucks (and I do mean mega bucks)

My trade plates are exercised day & night. An airport run loaded up with kids n cases wouldn’t concern me. It’s one of the perks of this job, I’ve paid my £165 so why not make ample use of them?

Also my shit stock needs regular exercising to stock them becoming terminal basket cases.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

NOACROSS, my business partner needed a car to go to the airport and leave it there. Better to tie up a cheapo of sorts than one of the nicer cars which have had enquiries. At least if we lose a sale because the car isn't here, then it's not as much money potentially lost.

Don't get me wrong TG- I wasn't chastising you- I do the same occasionally, just I wouldn't register them, but use Trade Plates.

You expressed surprise at the mixed comments, so thought I'd give my view on it & just pointing out why some eyebrows were raised. :0)