Sign in to follow this  
MrC

Just bought a car..

Cant even remember the last car I bought, Long story short my mate wanted to off load his Wifes 2006 56 Z4 2.0 M-Sport to WBAC as he couldn't be arsed to sell it. The car has been perverted over for years, he's properly anal about cars everything has to be perfect. 54k miles with all the M Sport trimmings Not a mark on it, I matched the WBAC offer at £3100. 

Prices are all over the place on these things, It can sit in the corner of the unit till some crazy BMW pervert gives me £2k profit. 

5 minutes ago, tradex said:

very generous bid considering it's even older now;)

Well obviously I would need to come and sniff the oil and pull on the wheels first... 

AutoTrader ad attention grabber: BEST TIME OF THE YEAR TO BUY ONE. 

Advertise it for £5500 - £6K, use the word Exceptional several times in your ad and don't rush into a quick sale. 

A lady in her mid-50s will turn up on time, look for no more than 10 minutes, maybe drive, maybe not and give you your asking price. "Always wanted one and now that the kids have left the house I can finally have it".

*Whatever you do don't take her Zafira or S-Max in part exchange, allow WBAC to make something out of all this :-)

*If gentlemen in their mid-50s call you to "pop-in and have a quick look at it, have been looking for over 10 months now" tell them the truth: the car is reserved for a lady and she is coming soon to pick it up. 

18 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Advertise it for £5500 - £6K, use the word Exceptional several times in your ad and don't rush into a quick sale. 

A lady in her mid-50s will turn up on time, look for no more than 10 minutes, maybe drive, maybe not and give you your asking price. "Always wanted one and now that the kids have left the house I can finally have it".

*Whatever you do don't take her Zafira or S-Max in part exchange, allow WBAC to make something out of all this :-)

*If gentlemen in their mid-50s call you to "pop-in and have a quick look at it, have been looking for over 10 months now" tell them the truth: the car is reserved for a lady and she is coming soon to pick it up. 

Speaks the voice of experience.

34 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Must be the same lady who is going to purchase my Mazda MX5! 

10 hours ago, MrC said:

Cant even remember the last car I bought, Long story short my mate wanted to off load his Wifes 2006 56 Z4 2.0 M-Sport to WBAC as he couldn't be arsed to sell it. The car has been perverted over for years, he's properly anal about cars everything has to be perfect. 54k miles with all the M Sport trimmings Not a mark on it, I matched the WBAC offer at £3100. 

Prices are all over the place on these things, It can sit in the corner of the unit till some crazy BMW pervert gives me £2k profit. 

‘It can sit there forever etc until I get 2 grand profit on it’,....I have to say Mr C that is classic peripheral car dealer speak you often hear around the auction ring.Why not just trade it to someone on here and get on with your job.You have had a descent starting bid already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

Well obviously I would need to come and sniff the oil and pull on the wheels first... 

Mr winterburn is that you?

are you a trader or collector?

if a collector go buy some old fords and collect the bits as they fall off

if a trader then trade

we are here to sell not value..................:)

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

if a trader then trade

i think most of us have the fcuk it if it dont sell it can sit there attitude on some cars, but sitting there does them no good and costs in bits, ie battery dies, damp gets in electrics and money could have been earning, but we all do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James01 said:

Must be the same lady who is going to purchase my Mazda MX5! 

No, yours will be in the mid 60s. 

"Had a similar size and shape BMW for 10 years, now I fancy something sportier plus I don't care about brands and badges anymore"

2 hours ago, boring dave said:

if a trader then trade

Not sure I recall asking for a value.  

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

Not sure I recall asking for a value.  

i don't recall giving a value

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

I recall giving a value :-)

I'd want to buy that Car at 2.5k , plenty in the pot for the inevitable 'pants shat incident' and still leave a decent profit :D

FFS it's a 12 year old Bimmer ;)

18 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I'd want to buy that Car at 2.5k

If it's good as the OP says it must be worth the extra £600 he is paying. Hopefully the only surprise he gets is the fast sale. 

P.S. I LOVE 12 year old Bimmers. It's the 6 year old "low mileage" ones that scare me. 

• Like 1

LOL, I don't disagree ;)

However I always want to buy everything for nowt, there is always a lot of jobs I do to make any Car Retail Worthy in my eyes.

Then there comes that magic MSport badge on any BMW, the clowns who drive them give them a really hard life, and in my eyes a 12 year old 2.0 will be a ticking time bomb.

Funnily enough, as a "general rule" it doesn't apply to MB's AMG, Brabus etc..................Except in my case, I drive all mine like a hooligan :D

I have blown up 3 CDI motors and 2 V12's over many years, always a piston on the CDI's, always bottom end on the V12s, and never through lack of regular maintenance. Always repaired 'em by buying a scrapper with good Engine ;) I've never burst an M113 V8 though even when running high boosts on the Kompressor ones :) 

My old man always used to say BMW's are for people who are scurrying around at warp speed trying desperately to get somewhere in life, whereas MB's are for those who have already got there ;) 

Cars are just cars, they all do the same thing, only in different ways. In the UK they don't show if you are somewhere or nowhere in life. 

On a practical level though I always feel more tired and depressed after 2 hours in traffic in an old french manual supermini than in a newish german automatic. I think manual gearboxes should be banned on H&S grounds.

14 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

My old man always used to say BMW's are for people who are scurrying around at warp speed trying desperately to get somewhere in life, whereas MB's are for those who have already got there ;) 

I was always told you "drive" a BMW, whereas in a Merc, you're "driven."

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

In the UK they don't show if you are somewhere or nowhere in life. 

LOL, the old fella was referring to brand new Cars, back in the days before leasing at £299 p/m, and I think these days that does actually depend on where you live and what you drive, unless of course it's nicked :lol:

I'm no expert but I think the reason you do so well out of late Prestige stuff is because of your location, you'd be a lot harder pushed in a less affluent area ;)

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

I was always told you "drive" a BMW, whereas in a Merc, you're "driven."

To some extent yes depending on the exact model and spec ;)

9 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

On a practical level though I always feel more tired and depressed after 2 hours in traffic in an old french manual supermini than in a newish german automatic. I think manual gearboxes should be banned on H&S grounds.

No need for Manuals these days with 7 to 10 speed autos, especially with tippy and paddles ;)

1 minute ago, Dave2302 said:

No need for Manuals these days with 7 to 10 speed autos, especially with tippy and paddles ;)

Given the choice, I would never drive a manual again.

Someone said to me when I was 18 (in a new classic Range Rover) - once you've driven an auto, you'll never go back.  That was 27 years ago and that person was spot on and other than for the purposes of this trade, I have never wanted an "own use" car with a clutch (except my Transit).

• Like 2

The only Manuals I own are my Workshop Van and my Stage Rally Car which has a six speed clicky (sequential) ;) 

If \i ever replace that Van I'll buy an Auto version but they are few and far between up here, all the sweatys prefer manuals :(