Sign in to follow this  
whitestone679231

Clocks go back

1 hour ago, whitestone679231 said:

Remember the clocks go back tonight and you don’t need an electric drill for this one.

Or a laptop......

4 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Or a laptop......

I would know where to start with a drill but I was left behind when clockers went digital. 

I’ve happy memories of the clocks going back......

14 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

I was left behind when clockers went digital

Still being kept busy by private owners with mileage limits on their PCPs no doubt. 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

Still being kept busy by private owners with mileage limits on their PCPs no doubt. 

Very good business according to the local remapper who started decades ago as a “mileage correction” service. Apart from a few immigrant traders selling within their own community ALL of his mileage correction is for private men - the trade don’t seem to clock cars anymore thanks to MOT & history record availability.

28 minutes ago, BHM said:

the trade don’t seem to clock cars anymore thanks to MOT & history record availability.

They probably do on nearly new stuff but as you say on older cars there is such extensive trail available free online that it would be stupid to try and "haircut" for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds. 

Where the trade left off years ago private owners have taken over. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

Surely it’s only a matter of time that mileage interrogation becomes part of the handover back to a dealer of a car on lease etc. The only problem I see is lazy dealership employees who can only see as far as the next car written on the board.

42 minutes ago, BHM said:

Surely it’s only a matter of time that mileage interrogation becomes part of the handover back to a dealer of a car on lease etc. The only problem I see is lazy dealership employees who can only see as far as the next car written on the board.

I was gonna say that, it's one thing EEPROMMING a Dash Cluster, but "Redundant Mileage" is now stored in EIS's Engine ECU's etc etc and it varies from Car to Car ;)

We had this with an very low mileage Mercedes: took it in to the main dealer for usual German crap issues including two wiring looms, and -long story short- after the third visit for different issues, they discovered a mileage blocker wired up to the dash!

Anyway, once removed, the mileage indeed corrected itself by about six thousand miles. So annoying. 

Bought the junk from Sytners auction, but you can’t blame them really can you. Just glad it happened to us, not the punter we would have sold it to, declaring a lower miles!

Obviously Hpi and Mot Check etc gave no indication. 

Could have been worse/loads more miles I guess. 

i always remember the story of the dealer come dodgy geezer in the sheepskin taking the clock out to be confronted by the words 'oh no not again' written on the back

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

We had this with an very low mileage Mercedes: took it in to the main dealer for usual German crap issues including two wiring looms, and -long story short- after the third visit for different issues, they discovered a mileage blocker wired up to the dash!

Anyway, once removed, the mileage indeed corrected itself by about six thousand miles. So annoying. 

Bought the junk from Sytners auction, but you can’t blame them really can you. Just glad it happened to us, not the punter we would have sold it to, declaring a lower miles!

I’ve never heard of a mileage blocker but let’s say it had a shit load more miles on it. Even if you went back to Sytner with proof, I suspect although they’d reluctantly reimburse you I bet they wouldn’t even approach their customer. 

For sure, and I think they’d tell me to piss off too...

I’d never heard of a mileage blocker either until then 

There was a BMW 5 going through Wolves BCA a couple months back, repeatedly week after week, with mileage blocker found declared.

I prefer Ferris Beuller's approach with axle stands and reverse gear selected :lol:

Edited by Mark101

4 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Can bus blocker. You can buy them for £50 . The mileage corrected itself after removal because of the mileage counted by the gearbox.

Was it a W204 C Class by any chance ?

That’s cheap. Blimey. 

No, was a late ML. ( I lost track of the numbers after W124 Merc’s and E36 BMs ;o)

Edited by NOACROSS

wow just been googling this mileage blocker thing and see they can be bought direct from china from  21.37 just wow

When I started aged 15 ‘hair cutting’ was widespread.You could also get MOT’s without taking the car,’dial a test’ stations would last for 3 months then get closed down having done thousands of MOT’s. Cars did not have service history then and the punters never queried mileages and I think some cars did not have mileometors.Nobody retailed high mileage stuff.I recall one dealer getting done for buying Jersey ex hire cars with 2000 miles then knocking them out as ex demos with 200 miles.He got off the main  charge on some technicality but pleaded guilty to offering for sale without checking the mileages etc and was fined a few hundred quid.However,I recall this Trading Standards Officer who was hot on forecourt tyre pressure gauges.There was all sorts going on but his thing was to do  garage forecourt owners whose air pressure gauges were inaccurate.The air was free in those days.Then there were the bungs.I recall one dealer who was mid twenties and had a 20 car pitch turning up in a new DB6 which took months to order boasting that he bunged the sales manager £500 to get it immediately and nobody battered an eyelid....I better stop here.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Seems to be more far common on the German gear for some reason

Very cheap leases capped at 8k pa