Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Messages with punters swearing at you?

Just had an interesting one over a Facebook ad, somebody commented "Are you a f****** idiot??? Go to Gumtree"

Makes me miss the low ball offers and no messes! 

Anyone else getting this through social media marketing? 

I don’t, no, because I don’t advertise in those places however i’m a big boy and can handle being sworn at. 

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

I don’t, no, because I don’t advertise in those places however i’m a big boy and can handle being sworn at. 

Point taken 

22 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Just had an interesting one over a Facebook ad, somebody commented "Are you a f****** idiot??? Go to Gumtree"

Makes me miss the low ball offers and no messes! 

Anyone else getting this through social media marketing? 

Usually, if you contact someone on FB about a car and ask questions like, "Is the V5 in your name?" or "how long have you owned the car?" you receive a tirade of abuse?

Wouldn’t say it to your face though. Plenty of keyboard warriors about, makes me laugh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, met said:

Usually, if you contact someone on FB about a car and ask questions like, "Is the V5 in your name?" or "how long have you owned the car?" you receive a tirade of abuse?

Yeah you'd think that, but its one I'm selling via the boosted advertising on there, (I've never put them on the market place, seems to be non stop muppets)

2 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Yeah you'd think that, but its one I'm selling via the boosted advertising on there, (I've never put them on the market place, seems to be non stop muppets)

Not that this is going to make you feel better but it does come with the territory, regardless of whether you're selling a car or a fridge. The anonymity of communicating be message seems to bring out the worst in people. In the old days, when they had to look you in the eye during negotiations, they wouldn't be so awful!

1 minute ago, met said:

Not that this is going to make you feel better but it does come with the territory, regardless of whether you're selling a car or a fridge. The anonymity of communicating be message seems to bring out the worst in people. In the old days, when they had to look you in the eye during negotiations, they wouldn't be so awful!

It's given me some great leads, but you're right, guessing a keyboard to hide behind brings out people inner pricks!

• Like 1

Just now, Mikey360 said:

It's given me some great leads, but you're right, guessing a keyboard to hide behind brings out people inner pricks!

Monkey dust has a lot to answer for:D

• Like 1

We are more a leasing company than used car dealer so like all our competitors we use social media to promote offers but the conversion rate is low and it does attract some odd characters.  

We have noticed that some people just seem to want to troll companies as one chap last week asked a question about a lease offer, it was politely answered but he was not happy with the answer so responded with a message back with pretty much every swear word possible.  The shame is about 30 of his friends liked and made comments of support.

• Like 1

i think you can disable comments no? That way you get them messaging the page directly about their enquiry. One extra step involved in contacting you, but maybe it's enough to weed out bored idiots sitting on the throne vs. actually interested people?

• Like 1

See it quite a lot on facebook pages.

people being rude because they feel you are a business and wont be rude back.

last place I worked at every other advert we put up the same guy would come back and troll the car and make negative comments, think the last comment he made was about a car being expensive and overpriced, we responded about him not having a pot to piss in.... not too professional but he didn't troll us again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dan W said:

last place I worked at every other advert we put up the same guy would come back and troll the car and make negative comments, think the last comment he made was about a car being expensive and overpriced, we responded about him not having a pot to piss in.... not too professional but he didn't troll us again.

Ive always been tempted to reply with a picture of a Fisher price car, asking if it was more in their price range

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dan W said:

Used to have someone do that on all our posts on facebook - Too Expensive / Huge Interest Rate / Making Personal comments etc...

Had a look at his profile, ripped him humorously and then never heard any further. Its just banter really most of the time. If it is beyond that just block them or hide their comments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Contracts said:

The shame is about 30 of his friends liked and made comments of support.

Jeremy Kyle Class

• Like 1

On 08/09/2018 at 9:51 PM, met said:

Isn’t it a shame though that people have come to believe this is an acceptable way of conducting themselves?

I’m glad I’m not on Facebook but from what I gather one syllable words strung together without grammar is the norm for a car enquiry.

After a decade or so of arguing it out with emailers on ebay I now employ a simple policy depending upon category I judge them to be in;

Moronic emails are ignored, the “£800 m8?” offers on £1800 cars. These punters NEVER follow up because after years of trying I finally learned these do not buy anyway no matter what you say. I honestly believe many of these are just passing their spare time on the internet.

The “best offer/last price” -type emails get a standard cut n paste response telling them I price correctly and to phone to discuss etc. Someone wants £250 off, ok phone & tell me why - I think about a total of 2 or 3 in the 18 months have actually bothered to phone! Only 1 came & bought (a taxi driver for a Hyundai Sonata :lol: ).

Emails with a glimmer of hope are responded to in a professional fashion. Probably about 10% of my cars sell to people who’s initial response was by email.

• Like 2

Its been said before and i stand by it "this is the world we now live in" social media is a great tool if used correctly, before posting i checked our leads and we get 26% of our sales from it, like anything else for it to work well it needs to be understood turn off reviews there a disaster and have the app on your phone so you can quickly delete hide block comments from the keyboard warriors, we got approx two three a month stupid comments hardly a full time job.

If you manage to work the system i am yet to find a cheaper form of advertising, i fully understand it depends on what your selling in our case we find the first time driver will see the add on mongbook then turn up with his mum and dad to buy it.

• Like 1

Do you pay for Bookface ads or do you get these leads via postings on your page?

I really don’t understand social media and haven’t got any personal accounts. 

Reason I ask is Click Dealer are wanting me to spend £450 a month with them for a while to promote it. They say it’s well worth it, but I’m resistant to change as always. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Isn’t it a shame though that people have come to believe this is an acceptable way of conducting themselves?

I’m glad I’m not on Facebook but from what I gather one syllable words strung together without grammar is the norm for a car enquiry.

After a decade or so of arguing it out with emailers on ebay I now employ a simple policy depending upon category I judge them to be in;

Moronic emails are ignored, the “£800 m8?” offers on £1800 cars. These punters NEVER follow up because after years of trying I finally learned these do not buy anyway no matter what you say. I honestly believe many of these are just passing their spare time on the internet.

The “best offer/last price” -type emails get a standard cut n paste response telling them I price correctly and to phone to discuss etc. Someone wants £250 off, ok phone & tell me why - I think about a total of 2 or 3 in the 18 months have actually bothered to phone! Only 1 came & bought (a taxi driver for a Hyundai Sonata :lol: ).

Emails with a glimmer of hope are responded to in a professional fashion. Probably about 10% of my cars sell to people who’s initial response was by email.

Sadly, this is the future. We live in a world where direct contact is discouraged. The last thing you'd want to do is actually pick up the phone. Every buying process seems to be heading for the 'browse, buy, deliver' model that amazon have used to destroy high streets. No need to drive to shops and talk to people, that would be awful? Much nicer sitting in the warm with a coffee and ipad? Dehumanising? And you can't just blame it on rude people. I heard a bank advert recently where they were proudly claiming that you could complete an application form without having to use a pen? Do they really think thats why people aren't applying for mortgages? 

My old dad is 87, he has no interest in 'smart phones' or broadband. Because of that. There is no place in this world for him. Trying to pay utility bills without having to 'check the website' or 'download the app' is impossible. I had to pay his water bill at the post office and pay them three pound on top. Its almost a punishment for him for not joining the 'tech club'. I checked the bill for alternative ways to pay and it said check the website for details? Dont get me started on banks and all this!

26 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Do you pay for Bookface ads or do you get these leads via postings on your page?

I really don’t understand social media and haven’t got any personal accounts. 

Reason I ask is Click Dealer are wanting me to spend £450 a month with them for a while to promote it. They say it’s well worth it, but I’m resistant to change as always. 

I do it through a "business" page, make a post of the advert and then boost it, it then appears on other people's feed as an advert

Its flexible pricing, so the more you pay the more it'll appear on other people Facebook, you can choose if you want people to call you, message you, go to website etc. 

You can set age range, gender, if they're into certain things. 

Think I Pay £14 for 2 weeks and thats in a 50m radius around corby and should reach over 2000 people, but then people have to click on it and follow links etc. Does get some conversations started. 

You can boost anything for your business like your website or a promotion. You can post stuff to the market place too, but you have to do that under your personal profile so do at your own risk.

It has given me some leads but not as many as autoraper has. 

By the way, I don't work for Facebook! Haha

Here's the results from a Golf I put on 4 days ago

Screenshot_20180911-102653.png

Edited by Mikey360
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Cheers Mikey- that's interesting & much appreciated. 

No problem, you guys have all helped me out numerous times, glad to give something back!