Marc

Buying from a cowboy

Ive been following a car on Facebook for a few weeks The price has dropped to a level where I can make money on it anyhow I phoned the fella and asked usual questions..v5 isnt in his name and its obvious this is a guy selling cars without the burden of tax!

I'll  hpi, check vin numbers etc but my main query is regarding v5..he's not on v5 and hes not a legal motor trader. How would that work for filling out online transfer

Edited by Marc

He’s not a legal Motor Trader? What do you me ? Are you saying he’s not disclosing he is Trade and trying to absolve his CRA responsibilities... Explain 

v5 aside, is he willing to provide proof of ownership?  I'd be wary...

I’ve come across this a few times. You know what I do? I find another car to buy. 

If this chap can’t sell it to the great unwashed for cheap what chance have you got to sell it for strong money? 

It's a squeeze green fiesta again.. He's got it all wrong in photos etc wheels are after market. I know I can sell it .@ arfur yes exactly that.. 

Up to you mate but I would be steering well clear. The thought of buying a car off a plastic trader horrifies me. 

I wouldn't build your hopes up until you've had the opportunity to inspect it? There could be a reason it won't sell.

Is the car taxed/insured?

I'm a level headed chap. The car has a rather large scratch,,probably needs ball joint etc but I can deal with that in a cost effective way. Car is showing as taxed and insured. 

Main concern is keeping myself in a perfectly legal position

Edited by Marc

6 minutes ago, Marc said:

I'm a level headed chap. The car has a rather large scratch, 3months mot ,probably needs ball joint etc but I can deal with that in a cost effective way. 

Then don’t deal with people like this. 

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

I'm a level headed chap. The car has a rather large scratch, 3months mot ,probably needs ball joint etc but I can deal with that in a cost effective way. 

Marc, what has drawn you to the car ? Is it cheap ? 

There are thousands and thousands of cars out there to buy from reliable sources, why would anyone want to buy off a cowboy? 

Sadly this is another one of those mumsnet threads.

18 minutes ago, Marc said:

I wouldn’t bother, as small cars are a waste of time for me-but playing devils advocate :

V5 isn’t proof of ownership- even if it is in the current owners name. 

I was gonna say just buy the junk if you want it, but make sure you Hpi check it, check chassis numbers etc & get a decent receipt, keep a copy of the advert (and see some photo ID if you’re worried). Take a picture of it maybe if he’ll let you  

Then I thought (wtf) green fiesta with aftermarket wheels and so on- is it worth it? Why is he a cowboy? Did you not like how he came across? Can’t be much of financial risk can it?

You say he’s a cowboy, but we all started somewhere I suppose. He can legitimately buy and sell a few cars a year no?

If the car came in chop would you do any different in regards to your reservations about it?

Regarding the online transfer, this will be fine -as we had a customer register a car to us the other day erroneously and we received a log book out of the blue. 

Dvla unwound it without much fuss, rang me and said that so long as someone has the V5 they can register it online to anyone realistically as (his words) it’s not proof of ownership anyway. 

I still do this the old fashioned way by taking a copy and sending it filled out to the DVLA with relevant signatures.

Is there a yellow slip still? I would get him to sign.

Edited by NOACROSS

I've seen it going from 2800 ,2600 2450 and now he's willing to take 2k. I know he can't move it, hard sell in that colour unless everything is correct. 

As I say it was just the legality of sale from my position.. Thanks for advice

Who cares if he pays tax or plays buy cra rules has a motor trade policy, as long as he owns it and your happy its for you then buy it.

• Like 1

greater chance that hes bought it with a fault, bodged it up, and wants shut, radweld full of, list can be endless, go, view, make your own decision, if its a council house with pallet [blue] fencing, hes wearing a string vest, you cant get past the big dog sniffing your arse all time , and his kids keep saying "are you going to buy it mister" and theres some strange smell emitting from the shed then maybe leave it :lol:

22 minutes ago, sparky said:

There are thousands and thousands of cars out there to buy from reliable sources, why would anyone want to buy off a cowboy? 

Sadly this is another one of those mumsnet threads.

If you are new to this business, I believe as a forum we offer welcoming and friendly advice, we offer support and guidance. If you don’t want to contribute to helping novices then don’t. This forum isn’t about you 

18 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Who cares if he pays tax or plays buy cra rules has a motor trade policy, as long as he owns it and your happy its for you then buy it.

Agreed

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

greater chance that hes bought it with a fault, bodged it up, and wants shut, radweld full of, list can be endless, go, view, make your own decision, if its a council house with pallet [blue] fencing, hes wearing a string vest, you cant get past the big dog sniffing your arse all time , and his kids keep saying "are you going to buy it mister" and theres some strange smell emitting from the shed then maybe leave it :lol:

These are my thoughts.

Anyway, the OP is a big boy as he's eluded to, so good luck to you mate. The answer to your question is that the car is presumably in the trade. It can change hands a thousands times, no need to do anything on line. Make sure it all stacks up, make sure you have enough information that the car is legit etc and give him money, take the car and the entire V5 and get it prep'd and sold.

• Like 1

I think I am with Sparky and co,why would you,the chances are it will be a ‘ wrongun ‘.We have all been there......Case in point,my brother in law ( who knows little about our job )against my advice sees a cheap car on EBay.The seller was apparently a very nice guy who runs a garage workshop.So,he pays £200 deposit on PayPal and flys down to Southampton.He goes to the workshop meets the guy,pays the balance and drives back.It was a nice car and very cheap but several weeks later the Police took it from him.It had only been parked up at the garage while the owner was abroad after having some job done and the docs were left inside.The seller was someone who had only worked there  5 mins. and then did a runner.......I had to laugh !

I know my way about cars and sales. Where I'm 'green' is the dvla side, cra etc ie the technicalities of the job. Few replies have cleared that up.. Cheers! 

I've bought a fair few cars from auctions over last 15years ..I don't see a lot of profit in the cars at my price range. I don't see the thousands of places to buy reliable good value cars either..surely a false statement. if it was easy then... 

Tbf the car isn’t really Facebook fodder - from what I hear FB is all about £3-500 shite so it’s no wonder he can’t raffle it. Speaking from experience squeeze green won’t help the situation either :lol:

As for ownership, who knows who owns what? V5 aren’t proof of ownership, conduct your usual due diligence & you shouldn’t go wrong.....

14 minutes ago, Marc said:

I know my way about cars and sales. Where I'm 'green' is the dvla side, cra etc ie the technicalities of the job. Few replies have cleared that up.. Cheers! 

I've bought a fair few cars from auctions over last 15years ..I don't see a lot of profit in the cars at my price range. I don't see the thousands of places to buy reliable good value cars either..surely a false statement. if it was easy then... 

Who said thousands of places? As for easy, nope, not seen that one either.

Have you accounts with all the major and local auction houses? DA/ A4C etc? 

22 minutes ago, Marc said:

I think I am with Sparky and co,why would you,the chances are it will be a ‘ wrongun ‘.We have all been there......Case in point,my brother in law ( who knows little about our job )against my advice sees a cheap car on EBay.The seller was apparently a very nice guy who runs a garage workshop.So,he pays £200 deposit on PayPal and flys down to Southampton.He goes to the workshop meets the guy,pays the balance and drives back.It was a nice car and very cheap but several weeks later the Police took it from him.It had only been parked up at the garage while the owner was abroad after having some job done and the docs were left inside.The seller was someone who had only worked there  5 mins. and then did a runner.......I had to laugh !

Hi Marc

If you are doing up to £3000 stuff may I enquire which area do you operate from.I happen to think that you always buy stock.

36 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Marc

If you are doing up to £3000 stuff may I enquire which area do you operate from.I happen to think that you always buy stock.

Hi ,yes usually around 3k mark. I've got a trade account with Glasgow central car auctions and Wilson auctions in dalry -both kinda retail money for auto salvage! 

I buy ex nhs cars and try to source other cars from private sellers. I'm very small scale but I'm making a living 

Edited by Marc

6 hours ago, iJCS1 said:

Just get an invoice from them with name address & all should be fine & keep a copy of the advert if you incur any problems your covered!. 

How do you work that out??  That is the sort of thing a private would say when he is buying a “bargain” off a guy in pub instead  of paying a fair price off a professional motor dealer... same private gets knock on door 6 months later and police take car off him.... what good is a computer generated invoice with name of guy who is probably locked up now for ringing cars??  And copy of Advert? Really.... do you think Autotrader or  Facefuck are just full of legit cars??? 

So many scare stories out there, no more to add to the top answers above, apart from buying from a private seller has very Little to do with cra shambles. 

We buy a lot of cars of the local Chinese community of students they do the same thing year on year come to the uk to study buy nice cars there never short of a few pennies that’s for sure as there always top specs, look after them well for two years then a week before there due to leave try and sell them ? Why they leave it a week I never know.

A lot of local dealers run a mile due to fabricated scare stories I go out of my way to buy them and touch wood have never had a wrong one yet and looking back at my deals with them there in the top 2% of most profitable deals made. 

Moral of the story whilst wales is full of sheep don’t be a sheep. 

• Like 1