Sign in to follow this  
david gott

Private plate cock up

Took a Volvo in swap, it must have the worst private number plate for a 2012 model, the plate is CO08DEZ, the last owner was called Derren...Dez, the bloody car looks like a 2008 model not 2012, at the time I thought bugger it I'll keep the plate on and put the car in trade, then I changed my mind and sent of the doc to put it on retention but have had a letter back saying I'll have to put a new owner on the log book to put it on retention, another bloody owner and more rigmarole, is there an easier way to do this? private number plates are not my expertise.

In Your name and TAXED  too I reckon before they will transfer the car back to its original plate .

Not a great plate on a 12 reg though is it . 

Imagine a punter looking at that on the advert and passing by .

Surprised DEZ didn't want it back , been better for you . 

Cover the plates up on the advert may help . 

I don’t know for sure but I can’t see how. The number plate has to belong to someone. Currently the car is in the trade so the plate can’t be retained to anyone. 

Cover the plate up with your own branding for the website photos and by the time someone turns up to see if they probably won’t even notice the plate. 

Ive covered the plate with the original 12 plate, would I be best off doing a v62 and then putting the original plate on?

3 minutes ago, david gott said:

Ive covered the plate with the original 12 plate, would I be best off doing a v62 and then putting the original plate on?

I do believe the car has got to be taxed first on CO08DEZ before it can be transferred , new owner has to wait for V5 to come back and it has to show up on DVLA as a taxed car .

Only then can the process of a plate retention begin .

I don't think a V62 would change the plate  

57 minutes ago, david gott said:

Took a Volvo in swap, it must have the worst private number plate for a 2012 model, the plate is CO08DEZ, the last owner was called Derren...Dez, the bloody car looks like a 2008 model not 2012, at the time I thought bugger it I'll keep the plate on and put the car in trade, then I changed my mind and sent of the doc to put it on retention but have had a letter back saying I'll have to put a new owner on the log book to put it on retention, another bloody owner and more rigmarole, is there an easier way to do this? private number plates are not my expertise.

Hi David

I would be careful displaying sensitive data on here.... :D

Just now, david gott said:

I don’t see how that helps, I thought a v62 was just a document to allow you to tax a vehicle in the absence of a v5. where does the private plate then go? 

1 hour ago, Ocsltd said:

Nothing wrong with that, it looks like A 14 plate..... :ph34r:

agree

come on ash we have just the car 4 u

1 hour ago, david gott said:

You can't cover the plate with the old 12 plate. The original plate doesn't "exist" at the minute. Anyone doing an HPI check will get a report saying that the plate doesn't exist and that will put them off for sure. A V62 can only be used to tax and request a new V5 for a new keeper as long as there is no current keeper (car is in trade).

You will either have to add yourself as a keeper and change the plate back to a 12 plate, or sell the car with the private plate on it. 

Perhaps putting a plate over the private one for advertising just with "12" on it may help ?

I would display it with something like "2012" on it.

Then when you get a viewer explain the situation and tell him you will swap it top a 12 plate free of charge if he wants. Just put him as the new keeper and when he get's the V5 put it on retention. He will get the retention and can sell the plate if he wishes.

4 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I would display it with something like "2012" on it.

Then when you get a viewer explain the situation and tell him you will swap it top a 12 plate free of charge if he wants. Just put him as the new keeper and when he get's the V5 put it on retention. He will get the retention and can sell the plate if he wishes.

This is exactly what I would do/have done in the past.