Sign in to follow this  
trade vet

Good week for buying stock ?

I always found that the week before the new plate kicks in is a good time to buy stock at the block.Vendors often want to get stuff away because they think it will drop in value.While a lot of the trade hang back because they think there will be plenty of better stock to be had next week.In reality newplate swappers and ex lease stuff rarely shows through until late Sept. .....any thoughts on this.

Not for me so far, 2 shortlisted 2 going miles above cap clean. Plenty more fish in the sea...

49 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The 2nd 3rd week brings the older PX’s to the rostrum, they tend to be wood quality aswell. 

if you are after wood quality cars then why not start a splinter movement

Just now, boring dave said:

I’m sat on the fence on this subject 

27 minutes ago, boring dave said:

I did look into it but.... couldn’t see the wood for the trees. 

Well 4 shortlisted and I'm empty handed.

There's always tomorrow.

Clean stock sells no matter what time of year down with us, might work different else where but what WOOD I know. 

Well, the answer is, at least in my experience, no. No it is not a good week for buying cars. 5 Shortlisted today, all around the £4.5k cap clean mark, all sold for £1k over cap clean. Mental money.

Same here, even old bangers going silly.

slightly off topic but who is actually buying the old shite? And more importantly how is anyone making a profit? We was watching 03-04 plate meganes fetching £500-£600 + fee’s at bca this week, I mean come on, plenty of bangers like that can be found for a couple of hundred quid online.

How times have changed, I remember going to BCA twenty years ago and auctioneers not even being able to give stuff like that away, “anyone got any loose change?” was a common phrase used.

10 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

Same here, even old bangers going silly.

slightly off topic but who is actually buying the old shite? And more importantly how is anyone making a profit? We was watching 03-04 plate meganes fetching £500-£600 + fee’s at bca this week, I mean come on, plenty of bangers like that can be found for a couple of hundred quid online.

How times have changed, I remember going to BCA twenty years ago and auctioneers not even being able to give stuff like that away, “anyone got any loose change?” was a common phrase used.

I'm always thinking this, there is no way surely that by the time fees go on top you can make a profit after further prep and valeting etc. 

19 hours ago, EPV said:

Well, the answer is, at least in my experience, no. No it is not a good week for buying cars. 5 Shortlisted today, all around the £4.5k cap clean mark, all sold for £1k over cap clean. Mental money.

Would there be money in them selling at that or is it just beyond any hope of achieving profit?

I don't tend to follow any guides personally and don't mind paying well over for the right stock.

13 hours ago, Dealer said:

I'm always thinking this, there is no way surely that by the time fees go on top you can make a profit after further prep and valeting etc. 

you'll fund the all on AT! The ratty overpriced sheds just find their way onto the market. And on 'proper' sites too not layby's?

11 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Would there be money in them selling at that or is it just beyond any hope of achieving profit?

I don't tend to follow any guides personally and don't mind paying well over for the right stock.

I just can’t see how mate. Maybe, they might just squeeze £300 out. Pre tax. 

Possibly relying on finance commission. 

I don’t use guides either, like you I work retail back and I just can’t see how some people are making a living. Busy fools. 

• Like 1

I'm not saying buying has been hard work this week, but dealer auction has saved the day, or should that be week?

10 minutes ago, sparky said:

I'm not saying buying has been hard work this week, but dealer auction has saved the day, or should that be week?

DA seems to be ok for small cars and hatchbacks. I can’t seem to find anything slightly prestige or estate/suv types. But I mush admit I don’t watch it like a hawk. 

14 hours ago, EPV said:

I just can’t see how mate. Maybe, they might just squeeze £300 out. Pre tax. 

Possibly relying on finance commission. 

I don’t use guides either, like you I work retail back and I just can’t see how some people are making a living. Busy fools. 

This is exactly what we've seen this week. Been all over the place and bought one.