Sign in to follow this  
James01

August sales

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Tax a few :) 

I am considering this and I do have a few £30, £20 RFL cars in stock.

Unfortunately, on my side of the cul de sac most have drives, the other side is all huge three storey Victorian houses none of which have drives but many have 2-3 cars.  Their side of the road is carnage and my only saving grace is that although it looks like a forecourt (minus the bunting and signs) I DO NOT take up anyone elses already limited space.

7 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Unfortunately, on my side of the cul de sac most have drives, the other side is all huge three storey Victorian houses none of which have drives but many have 2-3 cars.  Their side of the road is carnage and my only saving grace is that although it looks like a forecourt (minus the bunting and signs) I DO NOT take up anyone elses already limited space.

Don’t consider parking in your neighbourhood, keep well away. 

12 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

short term rentals on units are really cheap, ever consider taking the plunge? you don't need a fancy gin palace or main road forecourt, with 12 cars and the issues you have with storage and potential neighbour problems sounds like you're ready for that next step.

13 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Don’t consider parking in your neighbourhood, keep well away. 

Dvla have been lifting untaxed cars round our way yesterday.  I was all smug about it until I realised they'd also taken one of mine from the off-road pub car park near my house.

I've been parking there on and off (not taking the piss as I know the staff in the pub) for last 12 years or so, when a car is awaiting a valet etc. 

Anyway, without notice or clamping, they lifted it yesterday, as they apparently have the right to do so on any public access land.  This includes a shared car park for houses or flats, pubs etc or shared driveway.

£260 to get the car back and they took it to Bristol (which is over 60 miles away!)

The car wasn't SORN just 'in the trade' via yellow slip.

7 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Dvla have been lifting untaxed cars round our way yesterday.  I was all smug about it until I realised they'd also taken one of mine from the off-road pub car park near my house.

I've been parking there on and off (not taking the piss as I know the staff in the pub) for last 12 years or so, when a car is awaiting a valet etc. 

Anyway, without notice or clamping, they lifted it yesterday, as they apparently have the right to do so on any public access land.  This includes a shared car park for houses or flats, pubs etc or shared driveway.

£260 to get the car back and they took it to Bristol (which is over 60 miles away!)

you were lucky to get it back as they wont take a motor traders policy as proof of insurance

did you recover it away?

No trouble with insurance no.  Driver on his way to collect the junk now.

Friend of mine (in the trade) has this happen to him a lot -because he's a fool and leaves cars lying about all over the place on the street- and he has just spent 1200 quid getting his back. Self-inflicted obviously and only himself to blame.

I've never had any issues before with parking off road, so it's a lesson learned for me too. Remember to make sure everything is SORN....

17 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Trade plates will allow you to take the car from them without taxing it.

Also, this exact thing happened to me a while back. The problem isnt the release fee...

Soon, you will receive a letter from the DVLA asking to explain why it was parked on the road with out tax, you will have to explain your story on the 'statement section'.

Then a couple weeks later they will fine you again, in my case it was a further £160.

3 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

Trade plates will allow you to take the car from them without taxing it.

Also, this exact thing happened to me a while back. The problem isnt the release fee...

Soon, you will receive a letter from the DVLA asking to explain why it was parked on the road with out tax, you will have to explain your story on the 'statement section'.

Then a couple weeks later they will fine you again, in my case it was a further £160.

Uh.  Nice.  Oh well. Life in the city.

(It wasn't parked on the road.  Was in the pub car park- well off road.)

1 minute ago, NOACROSS said:

Uh.  Nice.  Oh well. Life in the city.

(It wasn't parked on the road.  Was in the pub car park- well off road.)

Thats right but the dvla wont care about this. You will have to get a letter from the coucil to say that the area you parked in is not maintained at the publics expense, THEN they will drop the second fine. Also, if you sorn'd the car that is the dvla's way of screwing you even more. Because if the car was sorn'd they would ask you how you managed to drive it there in the first place. You cant say I drove it there with trade plates because thats what 'in the trade is for'.

Just speaking from my experience!

Hmmm, that's bonkers.  So if it's 'in the trade' you can drive it but not leave it anywhere.  If it's SORN you can't then drive it on trade plates?

32 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Hmmm, that's bonkers.  So if it's 'in the trade' you can drive it but not leave it anywhere.  If it's SORN you can't then drive it on trade plates?

The dvla’s response is if it’s in the trade it needs to be driven on trade plates but not left anywhere. Trade don’t need to sorn cars. 

Edited by Del Boy

2 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

This has happened to me I admit a few times over the years, you go to collect your car and it’s disappeared.

Had to travel down to Plymouth to collect. Had to tax them and pay the fine to get released. 

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I've got stock coming out of my ears (for a doorstepper).

11 on driveway, 3 with valeter, 1 in workshop and 2 sold waiting for collection.

I reckon my new wrecker may just tip the neighbours over the edge.

Oh, and 1 more stored in my mates unit because I'm completely out of space - where do all the other doorsteppers keep excess stock? I need to think outside the box.

Nothing is in the road I may add.

Any farms local to you? We are doorsteppers but keep all our excess stock at a local farm. The guy fenced a piece of his yard off for us out of the way and we pay £90 a month with space for around 12 cars.

We can’t keep prepped cars there though really because they get caked in dust/dirt within a few days.

Edited by Lakeside

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

This has happened to me I admit a few times over the years, you go to collect your car and it’s disappeared.

Had to travel down to Plymouth to collect. Had to tax them and pay the fine to get released. 

What a work up. 

Just now, NOACROSS said:

What a work up. 

?

Logistically having every car in one place, under one roof pays for itself.

13 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

Any farms local to you? We are doorsteppers but keep all our excess stock at a local farm. The guy fenced a piece of his yard off for us out of the way and we pay £90 a month with space for around 12 cars.

We can’t keep prepped cars there though really because they get caked in dust/dirt within a few days.

I used to do this until mice started using the engine bays for hibernation! They always made a nest under the scuttle panel so the lovely smell would come threw the air vents. I quickly moved them away from that farm.

Yeah- we have plenty of room at the site and in the compound but it's no where near the painters, valeters and our houses.

Oh well.  One of those things- life in the city.

19 minutes ago, James01 said:

I used to do this until mice started using the engine bays for hibernation! They always made a nest under the scuttle panel so the lovely smell would come threw the air vents. I quickly moved them away from that farm.

Yea to be fair I had a mouse find its way into a car last year. First and only one in three years though to be fair and luckily was only a p/x scrapper. Put traps in the car but never caught it. 

1 hour ago, Lakeside said:

At £90 pm for 12 cars they could be caked in cow crap up to the axles and I'd still think I'd had a result 

1 hour ago, Lakeside said:

My mates got a newly built (albeit basic) unit on a farm.  The farmer is gradually building several (about 20 so far) sheds and wait for it £250 month all in.

At 44, I'm probably already too old to bother joining the list :lol:

Seriously though, I would be happy with any old shit storage.  Continue trading form home and pay for a wash, dry tyre shine before the pre appointed punter turns up.  I just need somewhere to stick the over stock and rotate as and when someone requests a viewing.

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

My mates got a newly built (albeit basic) unit on a farm.  The farmer is gradually building several (about 20 so far) sheds and wait for it £250 month all in.

At 44, I'm probably already too old to bother joining the list :lol:

Seriously though, I would be happy with any old shit storage.  Continue trading form home and pay for a wash, dry tyre shine before the pre appointed punter turns up.  I just need somewhere to stick the over stock and rotate as and when someone requests a viewing.

Exactly how I operate. It gets the bejeeesus shined out of it for the photos and videos and not washed again until the punter arrives, at which time they have more or less bought it in their minds..

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

One of our traders was just telling me how he’s just got a unit and yard, inside space for 6 and outside space for 10-12, gated and secure for £250 a month! 

Just now, c_cars said:

One of our traders was just telling me how he’s just got a unit and yard, inside space for 6 and outside space for 10-12, gated and secure for £250 a month! 

I'd have killed him there and then 

1 hour ago, c_cars said:

Where is that ? Northumberland ?

£200 a month for me for a solid unit that can comfortably hold 10 from my nice local farmer.. and the bonus is, there’s a big fooking barn owl that takes care of the rodents