Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

private plate advice please

hi all, i have messed up, punter wanted their plate putting onto the car they have just bought from me, I mistakenly put their part ex to trade so i now have to register their part ex in my name and tax it and then complete the transfer, the fee is £80, would the punter have had to pay £80 anyway if it had been done correctly?

thanks

Andy

Yes, they put their plate on retention...they get the certificate,  then transfer when the new v5 arrives. 

i get the impression they are expecting me to pay?

would you to compensate for my error?

9 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

would you to compensate for my error?

No I wouldn’t compensate, it’s their plate they pay. They’ve been lazy by not putting the plate on retention prior to selling the car to you. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

There is no need for you to pay as the £80 were payable by the customers anyway to put that plate on retention. 

In your case they will still pay the same £80 for a transfer from "your" p/x to their newer car after they receive their new logbook. 

Your only loss is adding another keeper on the p/x and some admin time and this loss doesn't concern the customer. 

give them something sweet for the delay you've caused them

ive got 25 litres of siphoned petrol at work so i would give them a good dollop of it

Best solution is to register the customer as new keeper "again", then they can put the cherished plate on retention in their name. Once it's on retention (V778) and you have the V5 with the age related plate declare the px in trade again. When the customer wants to transfer the cherished plate on to their new car the V5 for the new car and the retention certificate needs to be in their name.

If you register yourself as the new keeper, the retention certificate will be in your name. You would then have to add the customer as Nominee on the V778 before they can transfer the plate to their new car.

Customer needs to pay you £80 as thats what they would have paid if the transfer had been done "normally"

Is there anyway to assign a private plate to a car while it's in trade? Say I buy a 56 plate BMW or Audi TT ..car looks far better than it's age .. buy a plate for 150 and increase it's appeal. I have done this before with a TT and I'm sure it aided the sale. I registered the car in my name, with obvious downside of extra owner to v5

18 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

hi all, i have messed up, punter wanted their plate putting onto the car they have just bought from me, I mistakenly put their part ex to trade so i now have to register their part ex in my name and tax it and then complete the transfer, the fee is £80, would the punter have had to pay £80 anyway if it had been done correctly?

thanks

Andy

Hard lesson there , Always let customers deal with their own plates , cos when the shite hits the fan its their fault then .

I had a billy know it all who tried telling me how to it so he drives away with his plate on the new car .

Be my guest mate , here's the screen crack on I said . 

He lost the plate as the V5 went back to the old owner , oops you did that wrong , Old owner sold the plate back to him for £500 :) made me laugh . 

This is what I do in part x deals with private plates: 

1) As soon as we agree the deal I put their plate on retention (online system, not forms) and the customer either pays directly or I charge them the £80. 

2) I charge the customer £100 refundable deposit. This is to ensure that they send me the new logbook for the p/x with the old age related plate. 

2A) If the customer has haggled very hard for their p/x allowance I will also charge them £25 for a set of replacement number plates for the p/x car. I give them their private plates back if they want them. 

3) I notify the DVLA of the keeper change of the new car (online system) so the customer receives their new V5 with the new doc ref number in that same week. The customer then does their own plate transfer OR they come in my office and I do it here for them OR I do it online with them on the phone giving me ref numbers.

4) The p/x logbook arrives and I refund them the £100 deposit. I will then use the online system to tell DVLA car is in trade (can also be done after step1).

21 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

I don’t get involved in plate changes at all. I simply tell the billy to put it on retention themselves, they can then PX with me and forward the V5. I keep all of their documentation and spare keys until received. Never had a problem. 

Cars do not need to be Taxed or MOT'd to Transfer a Plate provided they have been on un interrupted SORN, i.e. you buy the Car, it's tax or existing SORN is now no longer valid, so you SORN it straight away as it is being kept off road.

I've done 2 untaxed / no MOT now, yes they were both my own Cars registered in my name, both on SORN.

Both Plates were purchased from DVLA site, on retention, in my name ;)

HTH

51 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Cars do not need to be Taxed or MOT'd to Transfer a Plate provided they have been on un interrupted SORN, i.e. you buy the Car, it's tax or existing SORN is now no longer valid, so you SORN it straight away as it is being kept off road.

I've done 2 untaxed / no MOT now, yes they were both my own Cars registered in my name, both on SORN.

Both Plates were purchased from DVLA site, on retention, in my name ;)

HTH

I've just had to Google HTH because you keep writing it and I had no idea lol (irony)

5 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I've just had to Google HTH because you keep writing it and I had no idea lol (irony)

I hope googleling helped :lol::lol::lol:

18 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

2A) If the customer has haggled very hard for their p/x allowance I will also charge them £25 for a set of replacement number plates for the p/x car. I give them their private plates back if they want them. 

Quite like this ;) 

Just done 3 this morning for customers.