Sign in to follow this  
whitestone679231

DVLA ONLINE SHUT FRI TO MON

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but DVLA website will be down from 3pm Fri to  Monday morning. Mad rush today to tax cars?? 

• Like 1

thanks for update, dont think any of us knew :(

dvla= Due to essential systems maintenance, most of our services (including our contact centre) will be unavailable from 3pm on Friday 17 August until 6am on Monday 20 August (8am for our contact centre).

This means you will not be able to tax your vehicle online, by phone or at the Post Office. Vehicle tax is for the whole month, so if your tax will expire at the end of this month you’ll still have time to tax your car when the service is back to normal on Monday morning.

Not all services are affected and you’ll still be able to view and share your driving licence details with third parties including car hire companies. To avoid any disappointment it’s best to generate a check code now as the codes are valid for 21 days. You can also renew your ten year photocard driving licence at the Post Office.

Remember, it’s against the law to drive an untaxed vehicle on the road. If you buy a car during this weekend you won’t be able to tax it until 6am on Monday 20 August.

Thanks for this. Wouldn't have known until I tried to tax a car thats going out on Saturday

just wow

one of the main infrastructures of the modern world is shut for over 2 days and everyone just has to suck it up

absolutely pathetic

• Like 1

Takes 48hours+ to show a lot of the time just offer to do it for customers and bang it all through on the Monday they are still paying for the entire month anyway.

Absolute load of toss 

13 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Takes 48hours+ to show a lot of the time just offer to do it for customers and bang it all through on the Monday they are still paying for the entire month anyway.

Absolute load of toss 

having been on the receiving end of having a car taken away nearly (by the dvla annointed henchmen) because car was classed as on public land it is not something i would do,can you imagine the conversation monday morning from customer.....hi i bought the focus on saturday and as you know we went to wales for the weekend,the car has been confiscated and we are stuck in the only hotel in wales,currently what with eating a lot of pies and all our bill is at £325 and rising,what are you going to do about it because you said road tax was a tax from the fascist state and could be ignored:lol:

• Like 1

Wow, this shower is offline for three days and the country needs to stop doing what it is doing! No staff taking calls either.. You just have to wonder what cock up will commence once the "upgrade" is in place! Essential maintenance does not suggest a improvements for users, be helpful to know what their aims are..

Can't see why they couldn't do it overnight and keep the system live during the day. Even the banks manage to do that?

Surely this comes into the “I couldn’t give a f*** category”. Why on earth would anyone tax a car for customers? 

Take payment, they then find the taxation issue themselves. I can’t imagine many of you will risk turning down a sale because of this - this certainly wouldn’t enter my head (or exit my mouth). 

I help my customers tax their car all the time. Ownership gets transferred online and tax done at the same time. I ask them if they want direct debit or card payments, get them to the screen where it’s payment time and hand the laptop over. 

I think the plan for the weekend is to take payment for the car, then go on line to tax it. "I cant believe DVLA are closed, thats never happened before"  "Do you want to drive the car now or come back on Monday for it?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Surely this comes into the “I couldn’t give a f*** category”. Why on earth would anyone tax a car for customers? 

Take payment, they then find the taxation issue themselves. I can’t imagine many of you will risk turning down a sale because of this - this certainly wouldn’t enter my head (or exit my mouth). 

customer here buying car

want to take it now

they have the insurance quote in their phone

you take the tax money issue a receipt for them as dvla usually takes 5 days for it to appear and they drive away legal

i call it customer service and all my customers appreciate it

cant imagine why you wont do it

you can always do a dummy tax check on the vehicle before you offer it up for sale if you have the older log book,i had one the other week and went into the nearest PO and taxed it there while customer waited,surely thats better than an irate phone call

Edited by boring dave

Customers are responsible for taxing their own vehicles here, just like their insurance. I’m here to sell cars, not meddle with things that I legally have no duty to do.

9 times out of 10, I tax online for customers, they appreciate the added value and costs me nowt.  I then sort the V5 when they've left - again Online.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

9 times out of 10, I tax online for customers, they appreciate the added value and costs me nowt.  I then sort the V5 when they've left - again Online.

Same.

A few going out over the weekend, have explained them all the situation; 2 have been given doc ref numbers to arrange themselves, the other 2 Ive set up before the cut off. Everyone’s happy and no headaches.

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Same. Its a nice touch and part of the process. Also from my own perspective I am quicker at doing it than they are and it saves them being here longer than they have to.If its 6 months / 12months it gets paid for and itemised on  invoice directly to me and I just do it online for them, if its a direct debit pop their details in and job done. 

Costs nothing, makes things easier for both and takes 2 mins if that.

4 hours ago, BHM said:

Customers are responsible for taxing their own vehicles here, just like their insurance. I’m here to sell cars, not meddle with things that I legally have no duty to do.

Meddle? It’s a 2 minute addition to transferring the ownership to them online. In fact it’s on the same bloody page as the transferring of ownership. No idea why you wouldn’t do it other than pure stubbornness. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Same. Its a nice touch and part of the process. Also from my own perspective I am quicker at doing it than they are and it saves them being here longer than they have to.If its 6 months / 12months it gets paid for and itemised on  invoice directly to me and I just do it online for them, if its a direct debit pop their details in and job done. 

Costs nothing, makes things easier for both and takes 2 mins if that.

100%

service, and they appreciate it, sets us apart from the not interested i sell cars brigade :lol:

• Like 2

I taxed my smoker not more than 30 mins ago and went thru fine.. Then read this thread, its worth trying if you need to tax something as it seems to be as normal at the moment. 

Yes,I taxed car at 3.45pm today, all normal.

19 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Can you notify DVLA of change of owner online,I always post V5?

17 minutes ago, friar said:

Can you notify DVLA of change of owner online,I always post V5?

Yes you can. Just search for notify DVLA. Very simple and the customer gets an immediate email from DVLA confirming new keeper.

Not right now you can't! That website is down n'all!

I can't believe there are any dealers out there who don't transfer ownership online. It's a piece of the proverbial. Within 30 mins of the billy saying "I do" they're the new keeper, taxed and insured. No additional paperwork needed. The internet is great when used properly!