Sign in to follow this  
EPV

VW Toureg - 2005

1 minute ago, Del Boy said:

Lol, he’ll tell you to knock the 3 off 

I know things are cheap up norf but AT and Car Gurus have it at £4,700 and it’s £2,650 cap clean so Christ knows what cheap is if sub £4K ain’t! 

15 minutes ago, EPV said:

I know things are cheap up norf but AT and Car Gurus have it at £4,700 and it’s £2,650 cap clean so Christ knows what cheap is if sub £4K ain’t! 

I think it’s bang on the money personally 

8 hours ago, EPV said:

Not yet no, i’m having a full wet and dry compression done and if it’s a head gasket, well, better than a full recondition. Hopefully some good news a-comin-next week. 

It’s in and I bought it. Airbag light on (sensor issue imo) and it could probably do with the brakes doing but I chipped him another £150 so I got it for £1750, cap below is £2150, proper retail is £4500. I’m still torn what to do, even if I prep it right with new brakes and a clean(ish) ticket and put it up for £4K i’ll still see a grand out of it which is good money but i’m still convinced it will stick! I dunno, maybe I should give it a shot as ultimately these things could sell well for me and unless I try I’ll never know....

That's cheap....... I'd be thinking what's it hiding.... I hope you checked it properly James... Don't under sell it :) 

15 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

That's cheap....... I'd be thinking what's it hiding.... I hope you checked it properly James... Don't under sell it :) 

He started out wanting £2500, I talked him round...

And yes , plugged into diagnostics, test driven extensively etc. Have since driven it 40 miles and seems sweet as. 

Result, very good idea to plug it in.  I think twerp is right price wise, you could even go £4790 because of the quality of service you are offering. Don't under value it.

• Like 1

The issue with that AD is what I said above, there are two very similar vehicles within 50 miles that have been up for 50 and 70 days (ish) respectively. Both priced up similar, £4600 and £4800. 

All joking aside now it looks priced right to me.

18 hours ago, SC Derby said:

Super - looks a lot of car for the money. Good luck with it

It generated 120 advert views on AT in 12 hours. Plenty are looking anyway. Cheers for all the advice, as I said before i’ll take as much of it as I can get. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

It generated 120 advert views on AT in 12 hours. Plenty are looking anyway. Cheers for all the advice, as I said before i’ll take as much of it as I can get. 

As above, cheapest isnt always the best to sell or attract attention; with such a nice motor the punters looking at them/for them you would hope are a little more informed... hope being the operative.. good luck with it.. should be gone soon so you can pile into something else.

On 06/08/2018 at 9:08 AM, EPV said:

It generated 120 advert views on AT in 12 hours.

That's plenty of views. One was from me. Why not increase the price to £4500? On a 55 plate it will be one of the last before the £500 tax comes into play so to some it should be more desirable than 2006 even 2007 at this age... 

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

That's plenty of views. One was from me. Why not increase the price to £4500? On a 55 plate it will be one of the last before the £500 tax comes into play so to some it should be more desirable than 2006 even 2007 at this age... 

Because if I do then I'm priced in line with the other two dealers who have had similar cars for 50 and 70 days respectively. If I am to sell the beast quickly (preferably within 20 days) then I need to be different to the other two examples and price is the obvious differentiation. 

12 minutes ago, EPV said:

If I am to sell the beast quickly (preferably within 20 days)

Why? It came to you at the right money, you can't go and buy another at the same money and the other two dealers may have examples that are inferior to yours. £500 extra on this margin is a huge percentage and worth aiming for. If you said you'd had 6 views on it I'd say: get rid of it quick. 

There is nothing more rewarding than selling for more than the immediate competition :-) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Why? It came to you at the right money, you can't go and buy another at the same money and the other two dealers may have examples that are inferior to yours. £500 extra on this margin is a huge percentage and worth aiming for. If you said you'd had 6 views on it I'd say: get rid of it quick. 

There is nothing more rewarding than selling for more than the immediate competition :-) 

7 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

They don’t. 

The other dealers have examples with lower miles on that me. 

One is priced at £4,950 and has 100,000 miles on. Same year same spec. If I was at £4,500 people would rightly consider finding another £450 to get one with 24,000 less miles on. 

The other is priced at £5,600 and it has 87,000 miles on. Again, same year and spec. That car isn’t really direct competition because he’s overpriced and the 70 day period he’s had the car reflects that. 

In terms of value for money, if I was pitched at £4,500 mine and the 100,000 mile one would look equally attractive and on a car that isn’t especially desirable (1.4 on the AT scale) i’d rather stand out as the best value and sell quickly, take a nice margin out and move on to something I know is en vogue, a petrol estate perhaps. 

Nick/AD, please don’t think i’m being a know it all as the reality is, i’m a newbie know-fuck-all but I at least have some logic (based on careful research) to base my pricing even if incorrect in your eyes! 

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

on a car that isn’t especially desirable (1.4 on the AT scale)

But still got 120 views in a day? My very desirable fast sellers get 40-50. 

Your target customer is a Polish or Romanian national in his late 20s early 30s and unfortunately right now they have already made their annual pilgrimage back to the homeland (they look at your ad on their mobiles right now). When they return at the end of the month they will resume their search for a cheap prestige mile munching chariot to use on the next year's journey and your desirability will shoot right up :-) Fingers Crossed. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

But still got 120 views in a day? My very desirable fast sellers get 40-50. 

Your target customer is a Polish or Romanian national in his late 20s early 30s and unfortunately right now they have already made their annual pilgrimage back to the homeland (they look at your ad on their mobiles right now). When they return at the end of the month they will resume their search for a cheap prestige mile munching chariot to use on the next year's journey and your desirability will shoot right up :-) Fingers Crossed. 

agree

its a nice car you will never replace and if you are right with the road tax too then pull every penny you can

you can always go cheaper when punter there ,but you cant go up

lets go for £4295

• Like 1

Persuasive bunch. 

I’ll bump it to £4295 when I have it back from the garage (service and MOT) and I have the proper photos and video done. 

• Like 1

I place no emphasis on Autotrader desirability personally. I have some highly desirable regular quick sellers which always sell well with good money an often attract my favourite finance commission but AT rank them low. 

The right car, presented well at a fair price will always sell just needs to catch someones eye and irrespective of anything make sure you are happy with the margin in the deal yourself. 

I don’t see how Autotrader’s desirability is accurate now they have removed the invoice function. Do you guys all remove and mark the car sold as soon as you sell it? I don’t. 

Unless nowadays they calculate the desirability on ad views alone which is ridiculous. I can’t see how the 1-5 stars is even remotely accurate 

6 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

I don’t see how Autotrader’s desirability is accurate now they have removed the invoice function. Do you guys all remove and mark the car sold as soon as you sell it? I don’t. 

Unless nowadays they calculate the desirability on ad views alone which is ridiculous. I can’t see how the 1-5 stars is even remotely accurate 

Why is that ridiculous? People looking plus number of units available is ultimately a digital supply and demand.

An s500 would be a 1. A Certain derivatives of Fiestas would be a 5. It's not a science but a guide, used in conjunction with your own knowledge of your market. I don't take it as gospel but I certainly use the data they provide and it's helped a know nothing newbie like me turn cars in an average of 27 days with four figure margins as an average. Not a brag just saying the data is useful. You just need to know how to interpret it.

14 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I place no emphasis on Autotrader desirability personally. I have some highly desirable regular quick sellers which always sell well with good money an often attract my favourite finance commission but AT rank them low. 

The right car, presented well at a fair price will always sell just needs to catch someones eye and irrespective of anything make sure you are happy with the margin in the deal yourself. 

"The right car" is the key part there isn't it. That's where the data, correctly interpreted can help. Not form the basis of all buying decisions BUT assist.

Whatever works for each individual at the end of the day.

3 hours ago, Del Boy said:

I do't mark it sold until its gone....

3 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Unless nowadays they calculate the desirability on ad views alone which is ridiculous

They rely a lot on analyzing searches in conjunction with views. But the desirability ratings are flawed in the sense that the same make and model with certain spec and in certain colour can be a lot more popular. And their desirability ratings don't factor that in. 

3 hours ago, EPV said:

An s500 would be a 1. A Certain derivatives of Fiestas would be a 5

Give me an S500 any day and cut my veins now if I have to sell another Fiesta "for my daughter" :-)

26 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

They rely a lot on analyzing searches in conjunction with views. But the desirability ratings are flawed in the sense that the same make and model with certain spec and in certain colour can be a lot more popular. And their desirability ratings don't factor that in. 

Give me an S500 any day and cut my veins now if I have to sell another Fiesta "for my daughter" :-)

They split the make model down into derivatives Nick. It doesn’t end up making a huge difference anyway. A bmw 318i sport may be say a 3.2 and an m sport a 3.4. But they do split derivatives.