Sign in to follow this  
EPV

VW Toureg - 2005

Potentially taking one of these in chop, agreed a sensible price over the phone with the billy (below cap below) but anything I should be aware with these beasts? 2.5TDI,124k. Obviously a test drive/diagnostics will be plugged in etc, take that as read, just any shared experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

They suffer from piston slap,

the brakes are mega money

its VW

Chuck it through the block. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

They suffer from piston slap,

the brakes are mega money

its VW

Chuck it through the block. 

Sage advice perhaps. 

1 minute ago, EPV said:

Sage advice perhaps. 

I wouldnt touch one with  a barge pole. 

1 minute ago, EPV said:

Sage advice perhaps. 

They are ridiculously sluggish compared to the 3.0....... but they all sell.

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Potentially taking one of these in chop, agreed a sensible price over the phone with the billy (below cap below) but anything I should be aware with these beasts? 2.5TDI,124k. Obviously a test drive/diagnostics will be plugged in etc, take that as read, just any shared experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

I had one recently with 180k, manual, basic spec with cloth. It’s a good car,  but took ages to sell... 

4 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I had one recently with 180k, manual, basic spec with cloth. It’s a good car,  but took ages to sell... 

So you could say it stuck to the floor then   ps. :huh: try more hardener next time in the mix;)

I've  always avoided them like the plague but took a nice 3.0 in chop a few months ago and it romped away. I've been buying them ever since and they seem to be good news but looks like they need to be with nice miles. I bought a 2010  3.0 with just over 100k on it and we  haven't  opened the door on it despite it being a good colour and spec. I bought a 2008 2.5 with low miles and it sold instantly for strong money. Have had a few issues with a couple of them but everything seems to have issues these days, just my observations

4 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

That’s my only concern, I can see this one sticking for 60-90 days easily enough. Block it is I think. 

13 hours ago, EPV said:

That’s my only concern, I can see this one sticking for 60-90 days easily enough. Block it is I think. 

Possible 2-3 months in stock so you send it straight to the block? It’s coming in at right money so sell it at right money - don’t give p/xs away.

46 minutes ago, BHM said:

Possible 2-3 months in stock so you send it straight to the block? It’s coming in at right money so sell it at right money - don’t give p/xs away.

Exactly +1. You can test it prior to purchase and there’s no tip or delivery to pay. 

50 minutes ago, BHM said:

Yes, 2-3 months easily is too much for me. I’d rather release my money and put it into something I know will turn in 30-60 days tops. 

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Exactly +1. You can test it prior to purchase and there’s no tip or delivery to pay. 

There are certain cars i’m happy to retail as I know they will sell quickly. I took a 15 year old petrol e320 Estate recently and doubled my money on it, in 20 days. I knew it would be popular. 

There are two very similar touregs Within 50 miles of me, one dealer has had it for 54 days the other 72 days. Both are priced fine and presented well enough. Those kinds of signals suggest to me this one I potentially have will take 60-90 days plus. I can turn two cars in that time. If this was a petrol low mileage toureg i’d think differently. Besides you said yourself, it took you ages to flog yours and you’re diesel country down there. 

Tbf to AD as he wrote his was a manual & had more miles than the Starship Enterprise.

It up to you but if the car’s somewhere near right you can afford to undercut your local competition. It’s up to you, you may have financial or storage constraints but if it was me the last place it would be going is the block.

1 minute ago, BHM said:

Tbf to AD as he wrote his was a manual & had more miles than the Starship Enterprise.

It up to you but if the car’s somewhere near right you can afford to undercut your local competition. It’s up to you, you may have financial or storage constraints but if it was me the last place it would be going is the block.

I’ll definitely make a decision when it comes in. As you say I have storage issues in the sense that I can afford to run a forecourt of 10/11 cars. My average days to turn number is 32. That works for me as it means I can work with 10/11 stock until I can afford to expand and still provide a wage for myself. If I had 2 cars with a likely 60-90 day turn on them it would make pulling a wage AND saving to expand a lot more difficult. 

I get AD’s and your advice, as I said I don’t give all px’s away but the signs are that this car will stick. If I can release my money out of it and pay strong money for cars I know I can charge strong money for and sell quickly that’s what I have to do for now. 

Oh, I don’t want to seem ungrateful. I take every scrap of advice I can get from everyone on here. 

Get in in cheaper, and sell cheaper than the ones that are sticking and yours will sell. 

I find anything 4x4 always sells well and generally fairly quickly, particularly if its cheap which this one will be.

1 hour ago, MSP Motors said:

Did you get to the bottom of the x5 in the end EPV?

Not yet no, i’m having a full wet and dry compression done and if it’s a head gasket, well, better than a full recondition. Hopefully some good news a-comin-next week. 

It’s in and I bought it. Airbag light on (sensor issue imo) and it could probably do with the brakes doing but I chipped him another £150 so I got it for £1750, cap below is £2150, proper retail is £4500. I’m still torn what to do, even if I prep it right with new brakes and a clean(ish) ticket and put it up for £4K i’ll still see a grand out of it which is good money but i’m still convinced it will stick! I dunno, maybe I should give it a shot as ultimately these things could sell well for me and unless I try I’ll never know....

At that price get it ready and sell it.... It will go. Is your X5 LPG? If it is then good chance it's valves?

Brakes won't be that dear. I did front discs and pads a few years back.. £120inc

8 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

At that price get it ready and sell it.... It will go. Is your X5 LPG? If it is then good chance it's valves?

Brakes won't be that dear. I did front discs and pads a few years back.. £120inc

Yes it is and I reckon it's valves too. I had diagnosed a misfire in cylinder 5 so I'm having a compression test done and full diagnosis before I got reaching for the rope.

Aaaaand it's up, 90 mins after signing it over...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808049141817

19 minutes ago, EPV said:

Yes it is and I reckon it's valves too. I had diagnosed a misfire in cylinder 5 so I'm having a compression test done and full diagnosis before I got reaching for the rope.

Aaaaand it's up, 90 mins after signing it over...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808049141817

Good work. That's how you sell cars, get them in and online. 

F*** me, he’s not giving it away cheap! :lol:

What do you value that at then? 

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

What do you value that at then? 

Lol, he’ll tell you to knock the 3 off