Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Trouble ahead?

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

You’re right but I think it’s also best to treat everyone an idiot until proven otherwise! 

35 minutes ago, EPV said:

You’re right but I think it’s also best to treat everyone an idiot until proven otherwise! 

Love it !!

The famous " Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak your mind and remove all doubt " springs to mind with most punters ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tradex said:

The big problem with the messerazzi is that the common garden messer comes in many sorts.

....I've told him to come and get his money back, off f*ck, life too short....and it was too cheap;)

+1

2 hours ago, tradex said:

The big problem with the messerazzi is that the common garden messer comes in many sorts.

They just don't wear badges, we are the expert game hunters doing our best to spot these queer birds but they are camoflaged, and very well, they have also evolved what with the 'tinternet into a rabid form too.

Some are clearly lonely and want to be loved, some want to be seen to be looking at something they can't afford, some will never buy a car as long as they want that rare thing a new car for old car money.

And then there are real f*ckers, the ones that give off nose turning wiffs of messerness, only after two hours of ragging, crabbing, tutting, cussing, umming & arhhinhg like a Disney pirate, old school toothsucking, opening and closing the doors more times than a cat thru a cat flap with the trots. They eye close up and then view from 100 yards with a squint. All this and then fill your palm with the asking price, and say what a lovely car, so honestly described.

....just had this last one today.

But some are bluufers too. Today one that I just knew I shouldn't of sold to, but whom fooled me by bluffing, who bought a car from his mate only to ruck when the gearbox went tits up...yes I know.

Rang to say his 120k £1495 lovely little Clio has been to his mechanics and this worthless sooth sayer needing work off the back of a warranty said it has a header tank full of oil and needs a head gasket, ohh and is pissing out oil like the Amoco Cadiz.....bring it back I say.

.....no oil in header tank, all coolant clear, sniff check all clear, pressure check all clear, yes it got a dirty header tank like any 12 year 120k Clio. Two drops of oil overnight on a white floor paper mat after running for 30 mins stationary is not a swimming pool and is commensurate with a old banger in my book....I've told him to come and get his money back, off f*ck, life too short....and it was too cheap;)

37 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

+1

Succinctly put................. make that +2 ;)

2 hours ago, tradex said:

They just don't wear badges, we are the expert game hunters doing our best to spot these queer birds but they are camoflaged, and very well, they have also evolved what with the 'tinternet into a rabid form too.

Some are clearly lonely and want to be loved, some want to be seen to be looking at something they can't afford, some will never buy a car as long as they want that rare thing a new car for old car money.

And then there are real f*ckers, the ones that give off nose turning wiffs of messerness, only after two hours of ragging, crabbing, tutting, cussing, umming & arhhinhg like a Disney pirate, old school toothsucking, opening and closing the doors more times than a cat thru a cat flap with the trots. They eye close up and then view from 100 yards with a squint. All this and then fill your palm with the asking price, and say what a lovely car, so honestly described.

....just had this last one today.

But some are bluufers too. Today one that I just knew I shouldn't of sold to, but whom fooled me by bluffing, who bought a car from his mate only to ruck when the gearbox went tits up...yes I know.

Rang to say his 120k £1495 lovely little Clio has been to his mechanics and this worthless sooth sayer needing work off the back of a warranty said it has a header tank full of oil and needs a head gasket, ohh and is pissing out oil like the Amoco Cadiz.....bring it back I say.

.....no oil in header tank, all coolant clear, sniff check all clear, pressure check all clear, yes it got a dirty header tank like any 12 year 120k Clio. Two drops of oil overnight on a white floor paper mat after running for 30 mins stationary is not a swimming pool and is commensurate with a old banger in my book....I've told him to come and get his money back, off f*ck, life too short....and it was too cheap;)

Said punter is booked in for tomorrow, apparently they are choosing between an older prestige car or a newer, well, non prestige. Q5 vs Qashqai basically. Anyway, I will definitely adopt the arm round the shoulder with him and tell him he should buy a car based on his own merit and not on what he’s read or heard. 

Pre internet,I can think of some great pitch salesmen who have had the ability to work punters out very quickly.When you have a family arrive and park up often their body language tells you they are buyers.If these guys did not fancy a punter they would politely make some excuse and pass them on to another sales person.However in my experience these super sales guys often left a trail of havoc,bad paperwork,forgetting to get the docs for swappers,one guy even forgot to pick up a punters £2000 deposit having counted it out.The punter took it back..........Sorry seem to have gone off topic again.

4 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Pre internet,I can think of some great pitch salesmen who have had the ability to work punters out very quickly.When you have a family arrive and park up often their body language tells you they are buyers.If these guys did not fancy a punter they would politely make some excuse and pass them on to another sales person.However in my experience these super sales guys often left a trail of havoc,bad paperwork,forgetting to get the docs for swappers,one guy even forgot to pick up a punters £2000 deposit having counted it out.The punter took it back..........Sorry seem to have gone off topic again.

I like reading it, always good to learn from other people’s experience 

He didn’t even lift the lid after all that! They’re definitely punters (well done TV) but they’re going to see an XC60 tomorrow which I don’t think can measure up against a petrol Q5 but who knows. I’ll find out tomorrow either way. Three viewings today, no sales but i’ll Be amazed if I draw a blank or, sell all three. 

They came back for a second look, armed with someone “mechanically knowledgable” I left em to it and said expert couldn’t find a thing wrong. They said they had a couple of others to look at.

In the end they’ve managed to find another £3,500 to add to their budget and have decided to go for an automatic instead, mine’s a manual. Maybe I should trust my instinct! 

They came back for a second look, armed with someone “mechanically knowledgable” I left em to it and said expert couldn’t find a thing wrong. They said they had a couple of others to look at.

In the end they’ve managed to find another £3,500 to add to their budget and have decided to go for an automatic instead, mine’s a manual. Maybe I should trust my instinct! 

On 25/07/2018 at 8:50 PM, Arfur Dealy said:

James clarify the above and reasure him. Simply,  ask him to commit to purchase on confirming your accuracy. If he makes excuses you will know he's coming to waste your time, looking at cars for his long lost cousin, waiting for a lottery win, pension, needs wifes permission etc.....

You attract the buyer by your advert, you guarantee accuracy, you then simply ask for commitment. No commitment = no appointment.

It’s coming AD, a few decent months and some money behind me and i’ll be fully fledged mini me 

On 26/07/2018 at 2:11 PM, met said:

Never mind EPV, you can’t win ‘em all. Who knows what they’ll end up with, they sound like they’re only half way through their car selection process and you’ve been part of their learning curve - we’ve all been there but only realise it when they turn-up with “others to see”. 

So bloody irritating - why look at a manual and decide on an auto.

I finally sold my BMW in gold - everyone who came to see it loved the way it drove and the condition but said they want a white or black one, why bloody bother?, it's obvious from the pictures that it isn't black or white - why? because it was the cheapest at the age and mileage and they wanted to see if they could "live" with the compromise.

People who did complete, loved the colour, it is what attracted them to it - a bum for every seat?

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Never mind EPV, you can’t win ‘em all. Who knows what they’ll end up with, they sound like they’re only half way through their car selection process and you’ve been part of their learning curve - we’ve all been there but only realise it when they turn-up with “others to see”. 

Very true, I was quite frustrated yesterday evening but today is a different day and i’ve woken up to a new enquiry on the vehicle although this one is asking what MPG it’s doing. Well sir I reset the trip computer bang in the middle of me hooning around the lanes at 2am this morning and it said 8mpg. On the way home I reset the trip computer at 55mph on the motorway and one hour later it said 54mpg! Amazing! Who knew different types of driving could display such a difference! 

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

So bloody irritating - why look at a manual and decide on an auto.

I finally sold my BMW in gold - everyone who came to see it loved the way it drove and the condition but said they want a white or black one, why bloody bother?, it's obvious from the pictures that it isn't black or white - why? because it was the cheapest at the age and mileage and they wanted to see if they could "live" with the compromise.

People who did complete, loved the colour, it is what attracted them to it - a bum for every seat?

Not even just an Auto/Manual dilemma but to suddenly find another £3,500 to add to your budget is very odd too. I would have thought most people decide what they can afford as a max and look for the highest priced car first? Anyway, people are weird, this we know.

40 minutes ago, EPV said:

I would have thought most people decide what they can afford as a max and look for the highest priced car first

I think they start with a loose idea of what they want to spend, then start looking at the cheapest available stock, then increase their budget after they see a couple of "not-as-tidy-as-we-had-hoped" examples and ultimately pay a completely different figure to what they started with. 

Exactly the same process I go through every time I book a hotel for a short holiday (only I do it all online)...

Edited by Nick M.K.

19 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I think they start with a loose idea of what they want to spend, then start looking at the cheapest available stock, then increase their budget after they see a couple of "not-as-tidy-as-we-had-hoped" examples and ultimately pay a completely different figure to what they started with. 

Exactly the same process I go through every time I book a hotel for a short holiday (only I do it all online)...

Yup, people go on a car buying "journey" and it seems I was just part of theirs. hey ho.

5 hours ago, EPV said:

Yup, people go on a car buying "journey" and it seems I was just part of theirs. hey ho.

Timewasters are the worst part of the job, especially if you are self employed and sell from home. These people do not distinguish the difference between a forecourt where the staff are salaried and paid to deal with lookers and walk-ins, to a hard working self employed proffessional home-trader whose every hour of your day is about earning money, managing their stock, business and logistics....your time its not to be give away for free. These people are just robbing you of your life and income. 

If you can accept you will just be a research facility for some, then OK. But believe me, when you start to really value your time you will learn to qualify punters and to gain a commitment over the phone, you wil then move on to getting deposits....    

James, you know me I fecking hate timewasters with a vengence. Those "researchers" have stolen a part of your life which you will never get back.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Timewasters are the worst part of the job, especially if you are self employed and sell from home. These people do not distinguish the difference between a forecourt where the staff are salaried and paid to deal with lookers and walk-ins, to a hard working self employed proffessional home-trader whose every hour of your day is about earning money, managing their stock, business and logistics....your time its not to be give away for free. These people are just robbing you of your life and income. 

If you can accept you will just be a research facility for some, then OK. But believe me, when you start to really value your time you will learn to qualify punters and to gain a commitment over the phone, you wil then move on to getting deposits....    

James, you know me I fecking hate timewasters with a vengence. Those "researchers" have stolen a part of your life which you will never get back.

Great way to look at it.

You'll only get a punter to appreciate this if they're self employed or have more than 2 brain cells, everyone else won't care and will still look down on us unfortunately.......

Unless we take charge and create a system like yours that doesn't allow for time to be wasted!

4 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The average punter thinks a car dealer working from home just sits around all day watching judge judy waiting for the phone to ring:D

7 hours ago, met said:

The average punter thinks a car dealer working from home just sits around all day watching judge judy waiting for the phone to ring:D

How very wrong everyone is, we never do that.....it’s Judge Rinder we watch whilst waiting for the phone to ring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

How very wrong everyone is, we never do that.....it’s Judge Rinder we watch whilst waiting for the phone to ring.

I got invited on to Judge Rinder by a muppet of a customer once because of an EGR valve being blocked on a Mondeo ST TDCI. 

Just now, Rory RSC said:

I got invited on to Judge Rinder by a muppet of a customer once because of an EGR valve being blocked on a Mondeo ST TDCI. 

Just another outlet for those whom failed the Jeremy Kyle auditions

A woman who used to cut my barnet once told me she was paid to go on Trisha and make a load of old shit up. 

Imagine my shock...

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Everybody Loves Raymond & Frasier here! 

20 hours ago, EPV said:

It’s all part of this profession. I’m sure at some point in your life you’ve gone into a newsagents, flicked through a magazine, put it back on the shelf then walked out? That’s not much different.

To speak up on behalf of punters I will ask surely we all understand a person may simply not like a car on viewing/driving? You may like how something looks but not like how it drives - nobody in the world knows whether they’ll like the drive of a particular car until the first time they driven one.

I hate tyrekickers but unfortunately we are caught up in their fact finding missions, if you don’t like it this ain’t the job for you.

14 hours ago, justlooking said:

GYou'll only get a punter to appreciate this if they're self employed or have more than 2 brain cells, everyone else won't care and will still look down on us unfortunately.......

Unless we take charge and create a system like yours that doesn't allow for time to be wasted!

ADs system will certainly put off plenty of people though. My brusque attitude doubtlessly alienates a few punters. Smarmy sales tactics will dissuade some punters but be warmly received by others. The perceived tidiness of your premises will turn a ‘maybe’ into a ‘no thanks’. I don’t care what anyone says, no single way of doing business is infallible.

• Like 1

BHM,

i accept them but someone who looks at a £10.5k manual twice, bringing a friend who once bought a used car in 1972 so they “know about cars” yet then chooses a £14k automatic is behaving oddly at best! I don’t expect people to buy when they turn up, they don’t like the car? That’s fine. But this particular example is frustrating. Or was, anyway. As you can imagine i’m long since over it! 

Also I agree that you can’t be everything to everyone.