Sign in to follow this  
trade vet

How much....that’s rediculous ?

Out of interest,when  you are outbid in the ring you often wonder who the online buyer was.Last week at Newcastle in UKCG Select was a 10 plate Insignia 2.0 Elite Auto Estate,20k ,one owner,fsh,and it was absolutely mint with cream leather ,nav and ready to go.I valued it at £6k ( our guys would have hit the roof as Insignias are not allowed).The guys I was standing next to valued it at £47 to £5000 and dropped out,even though there was none for sale anywhere.However,it did just under £6k and there were groans but  I was trying to argue that it was worth it.Just found it on AT and for how much.......£9450 !

Who are these punters buying 8 year old Vauxhalls for £10k !?

Imagine still paying £250 a month for it in three years time when it's 11 years old...

and what if the box was goosed? madness

or you could buy the 63 plate diesel ones at that price

3 hours ago, twerp said:

Who are these punters buying 8 year old Vauxhalls for £10k !?

+1. Who on earth with £10K to spend would put it into a jazzed-up Vectra? Surely they’re almost invisible on the secondhand market. 

19 minutes ago, BHM said:

+1. Who on earth with £10K to spend would put it into a jazzed-up Vectra? Surely they’re almost invisible on the secondhand market. 

I thought it had a chance at £7450,but sell it to the wrong punter and it will probably self destruct.Maybe that is why it is now £9450,good luck to them.

They are not worth that new.

16 minutes ago, tradex said:

Just 'lost' a 15 plate low miles 108.....retail CAP clean 56, AT 53, BCA without tip 49....! Been carwashed to death too.....what would you do with that? 

Can't wait for new plate, although main agents around here simply ain't selling. 

Does it make that much difference any more? Personally I can't see September being any easier for buying that Jan, Feb, March, etc etc

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Can't wait for new plate, although main agents around here simply ain't selling. 

The main dealers in my area are just about dead. And those that claim to be ‘busy, doing well’ errrr....appear to be dead & also don’t have many p/xs in the compound.

2 hours ago, tradex said:

I'm living in false hope:D

Don't. it's the hope that kills you:)

• Like 1

Didnt the lady who comments on finance company issue post recently.. however it was removed as it was all but an advert... the content of the post was that very few finance applications are being received and she was trying to drum up business.. Therefore, if the pot to p*ss in crowd aint buying, everyone else is on holiday and love island is finished.. just who is left to buy motors at the "market level" we all need.. I hear the couple who won the lotto in Aberdeen spent some cash in an Audi dealership... expect the pointy shoe type filled his pants as it was the last day of the Month on Tuesday...

The motors are getting creamed off upstream at BCA, pure SH1T this last week or so up here...

1 hour ago, Area 51 said:

Didnt the lady who comments on finance company issue post recently.. however it was removed as it was all but an advert... the content of the post was that very few finance applications are being received and she was trying to drum up business.. Therefore, if the pot to p*ss in crowd aint buying, everyone else is on holiday and love island is finished.. just who is left to buy motors at the "market level" we all need.. I hear the couple who won the lotto in Aberdeen spent some cash in an Audi dealership... expect the pointy shoe type filled his pants as it was the last day of the Month on Tuesday...

The motors are getting creamed off upstream at BCA, pure SH1T this last week or so up here...

If they are getting creamed off, who is getting them? I have noticed at Manheim recently the quality overall of all the cars has tailed off, lots ofgrade 3's and 4's are definitely a grade lower with all the  work needed on them.

Edited by Mistermuttley
Typo

56 minutes ago, Mistermuttley said:

If they are getting creamed off, who is getting them? I have noticed at Manheim recently the quality overall of all the cars has tailed off, lots ofgrade 3's and 4's are definitely a grade lower with all the  work needed on them.

Tbh the quality of p/xs is pisspoor at the moment and has benn going downhill for a year or more. Much of what I buy is 8-10 years old so I’m more concerned with the mechanicals & electricals than a few marks here & there.

My GUESS is it’s not a case of the cream being hived off, more a case of punters generally are chopping-in when there car is half-fu**ed or due an MOT & has the usual knackered brakes, tyres, oil as thick as tar etc. etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BHM said:

Tbh the quality of p/xs is pisspoor at the moment and has benn going downhill for a year or more. Much of what I buy is 8-10 years old so I’m more concerned with the mechanicals & electricals than a few marks here & there.

My GUESS is it’s not a case of the cream being hived off, more a case of punters generally are chopping-in when there car is half-fu**ed or due an MOT & has the usual knackered brakes, tyres, oil as thick as tar etc. etc.

I agree, it seems the average punter feels regular maintenance is a waste of money. Just neglect the vehicle until it either has a catastrophic breakdown or is no longer capable of passing an MOT?

7 hours ago, tradex said:

Just 'lost' a 15 plate low miles 108.....retail CAP clean 56, AT 53, BCA without tip 49....! Been carwashed to death too.....what would you do with that? 

Even if it has poverty spec,I can understand it doing £4900.A volume pitch can do it for £5999 and probably with a full balance on chucky. Factor in commission and volume bonus which do not attract VAT, so I think that the price probably stacks up.

17 minutes ago, met said:

I agree, it seems the average punter feels regular maintenance is a waste of money. Just neglect the vehicle until it either has a catastrophic breakdown or is no longer capable of passing an MOT?

Yep. Last week I had two punters who BOTH had engine failures, both diesel CRVs - I’ve never heard it before but two punters in two days. One thing connected these two punters - both had owned their car for about 4 years and both NEVER serviced their car.

One was a horrible greedy c*** who I couldn’t do business with but the other (nice fella), as I handed over the FSH pointing out the next service was due in 8000miles or 9months he said “I don’t get cars serviced cos they don’t need it with modern oils”!!! This from a fella who’s old car is on eBay with a scrap engine & has just had to get a loan to finance his £4000 purchase from me. Punters are oblivious to the fact engine actually use oil. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

In a way thats good for us as i think people dont realise how cheap it is to service a car and change the brakes etc if you do it yourself. A tired older car with a bit of elbow grease and a few new parts can seem like a good bet for someone on a lower budget. Most people just seem scared to death of buying a moneypit so if they see parts have been replaced it makes the car a safer purchase.

20 hours ago, BHM said:

Yep. Last week I had two punters who BOTH had engine failures, both diesel CRVs - I’ve never heard it before but two punters in two days. One thing connected these two punters - both had owned their car for about 4 years and both NEVER serviced their car.

One was a horrible greedy c*** who I couldn’t do business with but the other (nice fella), as I handed over the FSH pointing out the next service was due in 8000miles or 9months he said “I don’t get cars serviced cos they don’t need it with modern oils”!!! This from a fella who’s old car is on eBay with a scrap engine & has just had to get a loan to finance his £4000 purchase from me. Punters are oblivious to the fact engine actually use oil. 

I get this, "rat fucked" would be the modern street slang?

19 hours ago, Mistermuttley said:

In a way thats good for us as i think people dont realise how cheap it is to service a car and change the brakes etc if you do it yourself. A tired older car with a bit of elbow grease and a few new parts can seem like a good bet for someone on a lower budget. Most people just seem scared to death of buying a moneypit so if they see parts have been replaced it makes the car a safer purchase.

Sadly, many punters are as likely to service/repair a car as they are their TV? Let'sbe honest, who do you know that is not connected to the motor trade that actually goes into a motor factors for any reason other than to buy stickers or speakers? 

Edited by met
  • Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 5:42 PM, Mistermuttley said:

Very true, you’d think a set of discs & pads and a lump of exhaust pipe cost the earth. The only trouble is, is that punters shopping at the lower end of the market are becoming ridiculously fussy - I have no idea how anyone sells to some punters they’re that much like hard work.

5 hours ago, BHM said:

Very true, you’d think a set of discs & pads and a lump of exhaust pipe cost the earth. The only trouble is, is that punters shopping at the lower end of the market are becoming ridiculously fussy - I have no idea how anyone sells to some punters they’re that much like hard work.

Quite a few come back when they do the maths though don't they after you have re-explained how your car is dearer because its had xyz fitted for their safety and our peace of mind,Once you go through this, most customers and let's be honest here ,they have already done the running around looking at cheaper tat, get the deal done with you and recommend you to friends/ family and its free advertising// and these recommended people who come to  you don't ask for discount normally...

they want to buy into the whole package, seriously ......no bulshit here

18 hours ago, mrs maybe said:

Quite a few come back when they do the maths though don't they after you have re-explained how your car is dearer because its had xyz fitted for their safety and our peace of mind,Once you go through this, most customers and let's be honest here ,they have already done the running around looking at cheaper tat, get the deal done with you and recommend you to friends/ family and its free advertising// and these recommended people who come to  you don't ask for discount normally...

they want to buy into the whole package, seriously ......no bulshit here

You’re absolutely 100% correct but I find that a good 50% of punters can’t see past the price. I think it depends upon the car & the type of buyer they attract.

Oddly enough I find ‘Zafira man’ receptive to a mechanically prepped car but I can point out new brakes, new brakes etc. as much as I like on a small hatchback but the usual horrible greedy buyers of small cars only understand bottom price, they’ve seen 5, have another 5 to see & whinge about a bumper scuff on an £800 p/x with new tyres etc. - I’ve just had this scenario this week. 

Tbh it’s getting to the stage we’re I’m going to ‘spares or repair’ any small car & just blow it out of the door for pennies on eBay - the punters are f***ing horrible.

11 minutes ago, BHM said:

Tbh it’s getting to the stage we’re I’m going to ‘spares or repair’ any small car & just blow it out of the door for pennies on eBay - the punters are f***ing horrible.

You’re spot on here. I’ve done it a few times recently. However, ebay customers are a whole different breed. They will still moan even if the car is half price! 

2 hours ago, Del Boy said:

You’re spot on here. I’ve done it a few times recently. However, ebay customers are a whole different breed. They will still moan even if the car is half price! 

IMO the moaning is just part of the process. Because they feel that if they present themselves as unhappy/wronged whether rightly or wrongly there will be a financial reward? 

12 minutes ago, met said:

IMO the moaning is just part of the process. Because they feel that if they present themselves as unhappy/wronged whether rightly or wrongly there will be a financial reward? 

Possibly! Are ebay punters that clever though? Lol 

24 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

Possibly! Are ebay punters that clever though? Lol 

They're not just ebay punters though. They are punters that use ebay. They'll use the same technique when the create an imaginary fault with their holiday?