Sign in to follow this  
Southeast

What would you do

Hi! All

I am new to the forum first time posting and il get straight to the point 

For the last two quarters my business has seen a huge fall in sales and ive been in the trade for 15 years and never seen things this bad, normally I turn my stock over very quick sub £5000 stuff and stock around 60 units but never have I had any issues but last two quarters ive seen a huge fall in sales and phone hardly even rings. I spoke with my AT manager who said "we don't know what's going on" (great help) when she said that I just hang up!!!

so today I started to look into opening another company up offering contract hire vehicles,

would you recommend I carry on with car sales and contact hire vehicles or just focus on one? I know I wont be able to work with LEX or Blackhorse in the early stages so finding the best deals out theie would be hard 

from your experience ones who are doing both how have you found it? what type of costs would be involved? 

Ive never thought about doing anything like this as business has always been good but things are changing so quick and its getting harder day by day keeping up

thank you for any advice in advance 

Are you just internet based or do you have a pitch? The internet changed car sales a lot I think and whilst I know there's plenty on here who have a pitch and do well I'm just wondering if times moved and you didn't?

you run a business you know

you are considering doing something you dont know

you ask your at rep for help

walk away 30 feet from your business premises and look at every aspect from the perspective of a customer

are your premises clean easilly found and obviously firing on all 4 cylinders

is ATthe marketing media you should be using if its not working but your adverts are impeccable

remember things move on and 15 years can easily put you in a rut of being blinded

dont ask your mates down the block what they think because most traders are two faced and will be happy to see you go belly up so theres more business for them

CONSIDER CAREFULLY,CONSIDER WHAT SELS IN YOUR AREA

dont jump yet:)

Hi Southeast and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear that, but you are not alone & you will find many previous useful threads on here on a similar subject. Well worth the time trawling through them.

For me, dropping Autotrader made a massive difference, as you haven't got that monster to feed each month.  Others on here will disagree with me.

As far as another business goes, I can't answer that for you and, as above but if you can do it alongside your current business and see if it grows, then that would be good surely?

We have a pitch but most sales are internet based now and ARE NOT mostly local sales.  You have to work really hard at it and the cheapest isn't necessarily the best as I'm sure you know.  You just need to find your niche and add value/make them look the best/do all prep.

Hope it works out for you and any sensible questions are always answered on here so let us know.

Also- if you let us have your website address, then the gang on here are very good at pointing out ways to improve.  If you want to keep it private, then message me and I'll give my tuppence-worth.

Edited by NOACROSS

EPV - I have a pitch, I do feel I haven't moved with the internet but I am trying to keep up

mrs maybe - I have a main road pitch with signage etc.. pitch and stock is cleaned daily

twerp - yes I am in bucks

noacross - fingerscrossed 

thank you all for your advice

Ok, in my opinion the presentation of your stock is fine.

The problem is the stock itself, high mileage unpopular cars in a wealthy part of the country.

3 minutes ago, Southeast said:

EPV - I have a pitch, I do feel I haven't moved with the internet but I am trying to keep up

mrs maybe - I have a main road pitch with signage etc.. pitch and stock is cleaned daily

twerp - yes I am in bucks

noacross - fingerscrossed 

thank you all for your advice

Ok so if the phone has stopped ringing what about walk ons? Do you get a decent amount of those? What's your stock profile?

Your website is very old and tired looking.  I guess it's an AT one?  Also when you land on it and click on used cars, it loads lowest price first.  I'd go for highest price.

You'd benefit greatly from going to someone like the excellent 'Click Dealer'.  I, and others on here can't praise them enough.  They will work hard for you designing a new, modern, mobile friendly and much better performing site.  They will also work on your search engine management and ranking etc.  Well worth the money and not expensive.

I would re-photo everything too and try to make them look better.  Again- lots of advice on this can be found on here.

I've sworn the pledge against german stuff and diesels where possible.  Especially german diesel saloons .. I just can't sell them for toffee over the last 18 months or so.

A well presented, high mileage luxury german estate car you will sell -as a few on here do well with them. Their presentation and descriptions are spot on though and they rave about doing videos too.

I agree totally with Twerp. I really don't mean to kick you but I wouldn't want any of the stuff you've got.  Little cars are hard work too.

Get out of that stuff and try something else.  

By the way, where do you advertise apart from Autotrader?  

Also, I wouldn't panic too much after a couple of quiet quarters.  I remember much longer droughts than that.

I would stay as you are and remember my old gran telling me quality over quantity. 

There is nothing wrong with the lower price bracket its where i set my stall out, but as people say this market is hard work,  mileage is as important to the customer with 2k as it is with the customer spending 12k so i avoid leggy stuff i would rather have 15 low mileage top spec examples than 30 tired at the end of the road models. 

Hi Southeast

If I am looking at the right pitch in Aylesbury on AT,If it is,it looks like a half hearted operation.It does not look like a business run by a 15year pro.Stuff badly photographed next to  wheelie bins,badly presented needing paintwork and who does your valeting.A lot of your stock appears cheap enough but it looks like the wrong  stuff to me.You cannot skimp on paintwork and valeting and stock has to look right.The stock in the background appears not to be lined and priced up with any flair and,in which case I am not surprised Trade has declined......I would say stick to what you are doing but you may need to try harder..

• Like 1

im shocked

many cars with clear body issues

i wish i could sell cars like that

southeast,you lok like you have a great place

get a clipboard fill a sheet in for each car for things needing doing clio with rear arch showing primer focus that lost the fight with the wall etc

as i said earlier you need fresh eyes put yourself in the head of the punter would you buy obviously damaged goods?

i think youve had the good times now you need to work to keep the sales up,get out of the office walk round 

there are at least a dozen i would be sending to auction, lots of pics without being cleaned, lots of cars with stories and a few look very expensive, clear the crap and start again

torn floor carpets in the pics, invest in some paper mats, this is all basic stuff

Is this a f***ing wind-up!?!! I quickly glanced only at the first 10 & thought they all want crushing. What a motley ragtag of pure. I thought I sell some but at least mine is freshly MOTed (usually), washed, reasonably clean inside & SENSIBLY PRICED. 

I suggest the proprietor gets off their derrière & drastically ups their game.

This looks like a case of yet another greedy & lazy pitch man remembering the Klondike years. Times have changed, with the likes of you it’s no wonder us internet sellers make nice wages - keep it up!

Occasionally I advertise the odd p/x snotter for spares or repair - even those are advertised far tidier than your retail (ahem!) cars.

Sorry, f.a. sympathy here.

On 11/07/2018 at 1:19 PM, EPV said:

Ok so if the phone has stopped ringing what about walk ons? Do you get a decent amount of those? What's your stock profile?

I think i’ve had my question answered. 

You’ve got some nice pieces but a LOT of . There’s a market for but even the penniless bottom feeders won’t buy it if it looks like. 

Theres an awful lot of choice when it comes to  and those that put the effort in will win the war of the underclass. 

Get a dent man in for a couple of days to whip round and pull a few, order in a job lot of cheap “one size fits no one” over mats and take some fresh photos and actually look through the fucking lens of the camera as you take the photo and ask “would I want to buy that?”

• Like 1

Cheap cars attract cheap punters...always harder to sell a £600 part ex than it is a £6000 bit of retail stuff IMO.

Just because you're knocking out old shitters doesn't mean the customers don't have high expectations.

Loads of stuff needs replacement wheel trims, a valet wouldn't go amiss, some paint on many, floor mats etc. Cheap fixes and more effort i'd say. 

I can't stand sub £2000 punters because they're so unrealistic about what £2000 buys in our location and the cars ALWAYS need a load of money pumped into them. Have you thought about knocking out all those old sheds and dropping your personal expensive cars and re investing in say a dozen nice mid priced units?

• Like 3

Sell the bottom end shite to Benji.

1 hour ago, MrC said:

Sell the bottom end shite to Benji.

all the cars need a bit of work only

remember you left the retailing side to concentrate on what you do best ie day vans

i think this trader has been slagged enough just like benji

he asked for help not a noose

10 minutes ago, mrs maybe said:

all the cars need a bit of work only

remember you left the retailing side to concentrate on what you do best ie day vans

i think this trader has been slagged enough just like benji

he asked for help not a noose

Indeed but to be fair it’s not slagging just some straight talk. 

Just now, EPV said:

Indeed but to be fair it’s not slagging just some straight talk. 

fair does, slagging was the wrong word, but if i was he i would feel a little bit ...how you say

9 minutes ago, mrs maybe said:

fair does, slagging was the wrong word, but if i was he i would feel a little bit ...how you say

Well if you were he and baulked at advice offered i’d say don’t ask for advice :)

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

Well if you were he and baulked at advice offered i’d say don’t ask for advice :)

ok

we are all guilty of letting things slide though 

i am

i still need a kick up the bum but i dont like it ramming down my throat

6 hours ago, mrs maybe said:

ok

we are all guilty of letting things slide though 

i am

i still need a kick up the bum but i dont like it ramming down my throat

There’s no point in pussyfooting around the issues.