Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Tow Bars

Exciting stuff I know but I digress...

Leave em on or take em off? Car dependent, is what you say, well fair enough so here's some examples;

2009 Freelander 2 2.2 HSE

2013 V60

2014 C Class Est - AMG Sport

2008 318 Msport tourer

All estate/suv type cars so understandable that some have tow bars but do people want to see them on, or off? Does it put buyers off thinking it's been used as a workhorse or do people prize a tow bar over that thought? 

I'd leave on the first 2 and remove from 2nd two but offer them to potential customers as a 'free' upgrade if they mention towing

It’s definitely more of a plus selling point that a negative, so I’ve always left them on, apart from if the electrics aren’t working and is an mot failure. 

I always take the hitch off if it’s a car or a soft-roader like a CRV etc. as you always get the ‘has it been towing a caravan’ stupid question. And I always walk into the bastards and bash my shin numerous times otherwise. Leave them on Landrovers. 

Edited by NOACROSS

4x4 and estate cars - leave on.

Saloon, hatch, coupe, conv - off

Interesting, cheers chaps.

Very similar views as everyone the bottom two i would take off for sure, the top people would expect them to be fitted. 

I would always take off from Automatics unless it's the factory fitted / removable type. 

On top two, off bottom two.

Cars we've sold with tow bars, people have come specifically for the tow bar on the particular model.

Just bought a Dacia Sandaro Stepway (I think that's what it's called), anyway it's got a bar and it's a 1.5 dci. On or off, personally I'm thinking off. Thoughts? 

4 minutes ago, sparky said:

Just bought a Dacia Sandaro Stepway (I think that's what it's called), anyway it's got a bar and it's a 1.5 dci. On or off, personally I'm thinking off. Thoughts? 

Typically I was taking all bars off but under the advice of forumites i’d say on. The buyer of that Dacia will probably be a caravan owner. 

34 minutes ago, sparky said:

Keep it on, it’ll double its value. 

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Yeah....do the maths......It makes me laugh every time the Dacia ad voiceover guy ( Caldwell ) says that.I don’t know how they get away with it.Nobody has ever said to me ‘ I am looking for a Dacia ‘.

Their percentage residual values don’t look bad though so there must be a healthy market for them. I buy the occasional p/x from a Dacia dealer & glancing at the cars in the showroom, for the money, they look plenty of car for the money - which I guess is their intended market.

There was plenty of sneering at Ssangyong, who appear to be plodding on nicely, and in the dim & distant past Kia/Hyundai.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Their percentage residual values don’t look bad though so there must be a healthy market for them. I buy the occasional p/x from a Dacia dealer & glancing at the cars in the showroom, for the money, they look plenty of car for the money - which I guess is their intended market.

There was plenty of sneering at Ssangyong, who appear to be plodding on nicely, and in the dim & distant past Kia/Hyundai.

Cheap and cheerful ain’t they. They all seem pretty good mechanically but for me the interiors let them down a bit but as you say, the light is on for the masses. 

11 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

:D

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

Cheap and cheerful ain’t they. They all seem pretty good mechanically but for me the interiors let them down a bit but as you say, the light is on for the masses. 

And that's the only reason why I bought it as it's basically a Renault dressed in Primark clothing. So mechanically it will be spot on and at nearly  2k cheaper than an equivalent Juke it sits next to has to look value. Sadly, I can't see it attracting any MILFS like a Juke does:o

1 hour ago, BHM said:

When they are new they must be good for PCP and Motability but their cannot be many people buying them with their own money.I imagine at  2 year old,they may be a good pitch car,cheap and late plate etc.As for SsangYong,I see there top of the range is listed at £37k,what’s that worth after 18 months.....£12k on a good day.Can you imagine being tucked up with a franchise for them.

I take them off everything. People just don't want to know stuff has been towing.

40 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I take them off everything. People just don't want to know stuff has been towing.

In your stock I can wel imagine that’s true. 

Take them off. Even 4x4 can have a hard life from towing, its all relative? 

2 minutes ago, met said:

Take them off. Even 4x4 can have a hard life from towing, its all relative? 

I think the point is people will look past that and be glad it’s got a tow bar?

i suppose it’s this game, you can’t be everything to everyone. 

What do you think about a tow bar on an 08 Zafira?

Normally I take them all off but I have left the tow bar on this one.

53 minutes ago, EPV said:

I think the point is people will look past that and be glad it’s got a tow bar?

Have you ever added a tow bar to a sale vehicle to increase interest? 

6 minutes ago, met said:

Have you ever added a tow bar to a sale vehicle to increase interest? 

Fair point. 

19 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

What do you think about a tow bar on an 08 Zafira?

Normally I take them all off but I have left the tow bar on this one.

I think it will give the AA/RAC another attachment point for its inevitable recovery :lol:

• Like 1