I wonder what happens then, if mr plod with his flash anpr equipment clocks your vrm and ascertains the car isn’t insured, and doesn’t notice the trade plates in the rear window (due to it being too dark or too bright or his eyesight or they have fallen off) doesn’t he then pull you over?

like Mark said if you want to avoid as much law enforcement entanglement as possible, take 30 secs to pop online to your portal, get it on the MID and have one less thing to concern yourself with. 

1 minute ago, EPV said:

I wonder what happens then, if mr plod with his flash anpr equipment clocks your vrm and ascertains the car isn’t insured, and doesn’t notice the trade plates in the rear window (due to it being too dark or too bright or his eyesight or they have fallen off) doesn’t he then pull you over?

like Mark said if you want to avoid as much law enforcement entanglement as possible, take 30 secs to pop online to your portal, get it on the MID and have one less thing to concern yourself with. 

I regularly drive all over the country and never see a police car anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I regularly drive all over the country and never see a police car anywhere.

Alright there Stevie? :)

to be fair I do live in a ruffian part of Kent 

8 minutes ago, EPV said:

FROM THE DVLA

4. Display of trade plates A trade plate: • must be displayed on a vehicle as long as it is visible and vertical on both the front and rear (rear only for motorcycles) • cannot be displayed inside a vehicle • must not cover the vehicle’s existing number plates (except motorcycles)

your banged to rights sonny by the prostitute with mud on her face:lol:

crazy though isn't it

I've not had one professional driver deliver a vehicle in over 7 years of using them multiple times per week, that doesn't display them in the windows of vehicles and these guys are wracking up the miles of around 1,000 a week in some cases.

7 minutes ago, chief nut job said:

FROM THE DVLA

4. Display of trade plates A trade plate: • must be displayed on a vehicle as long as it is visible and vertical on both the front and rear (rear only for motorcycles) • cannot be displayed inside a vehicle • must not cover the vehicle’s existing number plates (except motorcycles)

your banged to rights sonny by the prostitute with mud on her face:lol:

I am actually the only motor trader in the world who displays his plates correctly (ok I made that bit up and occasionally put them inside the window with not one fuck given) but I know most shove them in the window 

I enjoy being stopped with a car not on mid they get pissed off when they ask for my licience and i say i dont have it on me nor my insurance still not had a car taken off me, its how u deal with the pondlife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EPV said:

And as my broker said (and he knows his stuff) if you want to minimize the risk of a claim against your trade policy because your company was the last party recorded on the MID with "insured interest" don't do it unless you have to (taxed vehicles and own use)...

10 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

And as my broker said (and he knows his stuff) if you want to minimize the risk of a claim against your trade policy because your company was the last party recorded on the MID with "insured interest" don't do it unless you have to (taxed vehicles and own use)...

Hmmmm...a broker said. I’d be more interested in insurers’ thoughts although tbh I’ve not been advised of any change & will continue to add all of my cars - I honestly can't see the problem of having your cars on the MID.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BHM said:

Hmmmm...a broker said. I’d be more interested in insurers’ thoughts although tbh I’ve not been advised of any change & will continue to add all of my cars - I honestly can't see the problem of having your cars on the MID.

Me too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

i know a trader who forgot to take a car off the mid and a 3rd party insurer came chasing him because the purchaser of the car hadnt insured and had had a crash within a week of sale and if you look on the mib it was showing insured so they obviously thought bugger it,i often get asked if they can drive it home on my insurance and they seem bewildered when i say no its not insured

for the record i only use mid for my own users taxed and in my name as my insurer insists,everything else my trade plates cover me,ive just actually modified my front trade plate so now both front and rear original plates still show

lawgistics brought up a link a while back though that said any car registered to the trader and on sorn cant be used with trade plates

so basically your shafted no matter how much you try to conform

1 minute ago, tradex said:

makes sense, afterall, it's not being used for business use.

what about a test drive though which is the main reason you want the plates

This is the Lawgistics article (not very recent). It DOES NOT say that you can not use trade plates for SORN vehicles... You can buy a car which is on SORN (by the previous owner, very common possibility) but as far as you are concerned you are only temporary in possession of it and it should be fine to drive it back on the trade plates while the DVLA receive your "in trade" notification. 

SORN declarations and trade plates for motor dealers

We periodically get queries about the necessity or otherwise to apply for SORN for motor dealers.

If you are temporarily in possession of an untaxed vehicle as part of the day-to-day business there is no need to make a SORN declaration.  If, however, for your own purposes you register a vehicle as a keeper then that is deemed as not temporarily in possession and so you would have to SORN such a vehicle if untaxed.  If you make a SORN and then use the vehicle on the road then you are liable to prosecution UNLESS it is to take it to and from a pre-arranged MOT test.

In similar way trade licences (trade plates) can only be used for vehicles temporarily in the motor dealer's possession in the course of business.  There are limits on the permitted use of the vehicle on trade plates. Included here are test drives/demonstrations for customers, delivery to the customer, valeting between trade premises to auctions. There is no automatic exemption for MOT testing for vehicles used under a trade licence.  

Edited by Nick M.K.

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

This is the Lawgistics article (not very recent). It DOES NOT say that you can not use trade plates for SORN vehicles... You can buy a car which is on SORN (by the previous owner, very common possibility) but as far as you are concerned you are only temporary in possession of it and it should be fine to drive it back on the trade plates while the DVLA receive your "in trade" notification. 

SORN declarations and trade plates for motor dealers

We periodically get queries about the necessity or otherwise to apply for SORN for motor dealers.

If you are temporarily in possession of an untaxed vehicle as part of the day-to-day business there is no need to make a SORN declaration.  If, however, for your own purposes you register a vehicle as a keeper then that is deemed as not temporarily in possession and so you would have to SORN such a vehicle if untaxed.  If you make a SORN and then use the vehicle on the road then you are liable to prosecution UNLESS it is to take it to and from a pre-arranged MOT test.

In similar way trade licences (trade plates) can only be used for vehicles temporarily in the motor dealer's possession in the course of business.  There are limits on the permitted use of the vehicle on trade plates. Included here are test drives/demonstrations for customers, delivery to the customer, valeting between trade premises to auctions. There is no automatic exemption for MOT testing for vehicles used under a trade licence.  

here is the article in full i hope lawgistics dont mind me pointing it to you 

but i think it is very important

http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/read-news/1223

This is an important piece of information, I can't believe they haven't made it more prominent! 

I would still continue to not register a car in our name just because it's been in stock for a while. 

I have just been stopped by the police for no insurance although I have a trade policy. I was in one if the stock vehicles and forgot the trade plates while in a hurry, The officer is reporting me for no insurance,  Is this possible as I showed him I was insured and added the car to the mid there and then. 

1 hour ago, Daniel DGA said:I have just been stopped by the police for no insurance although I have a trade policy. I was in one if the stock vehicles and forgot the trade plates while in a hurry, The officer is reporting me for no insurance,  Is this possible as I showed him I was insured and added the car to the mid there and then. 

I would say no as your insured with trade policy  they can legally fine you no road tax due to forgetting the trade plates ..  

1 hour ago, Daniel DGA said:

I have just been stopped by the police for no insurance although I have a trade policy. I was in one if the stock vehicles and forgot the trade plates while in a hurry, The officer is reporting me for no insurance,  Is this possible as I showed him I was insured and added the car to the mid there and then. 

9 hours ago, Daniel DGA said:

It depends upon the purpose of the journey? 
if it was for social domestic or pleasure and you don’t have that on your policy then he may be correct. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stalker said:

It depends upon the purpose of the journey? 
if it was for social domestic or pleasure and you don’t have that on your policy then he may be correct. 

Never gave that a thought to be honest but your 100 percent correct remember now years ago its happened to a colleague of mine going to a wedding he was let off with a warning though as he forgot to add his own personal car to mid just when you mentioned it it came back to me  

Edited by Casper

Thanks for the help with answering people, I was driving a discovery 4 as it had just had some of  the suspension parts replaced and I wanted to road test it to make sure all was ok so I took the car for a test run but stupidly did not put the trade plates in the car. I have the full works on cover including social, domestic and pleasure. I agree with Tradex that it was odd the car wasnt taken away from me although this may of been because I placed the car on the mid while the officer was there. I will get legal advice but thought I would see if anyone here knew the law on the mid and adding cars. Thanks again for the help in answering, lesson learnt but just hope I do not get the 6 points for no insurance, seems crazy if I do as I have paid a fortune for cover for many years now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel DGA said:

Thanks for the help with answering people, I was driving a discovery 4 as it had just had some of  the suspension parts replaced and I wanted to road test it to make sure all was ok so I took the car for a test run but stupidly did not put the trade plates in the car. I have the full works on cover including social, domestic and pleasure. I agree with Tradex that it was odd the car wasnt taken away from me although this may of been because I placed the car on the mid while the officer was there. I will get legal advice but thought I would see if anyone here knew the law on the mid and adding cars. Thanks again for the help in answering, lesson learnt but just hope I do not get the 6 points for no insurance, seems crazy if I do as I have paid a fortune for cover for many years now.

Sounds to me like plod is in the wrong trade insurance driving for trade use so should be covered  

Edited by Casper

55 minutes ago, Casper said:

Sounds to me like plod is the wrong trade insurance driving for trade use 

?

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

?

I meant surely if you have a correct trade policy and your driving a car in connection with the motor trade  like a road test as stated how can police man say he has no insurance .. I've changed it never noticed my typos 

Edited by Casper

They can ring the insurance companies to see who is covered for what, so unless it was 3am, they could have sorted it by the roadside.  Basically, if it was covered, regardless of the MID, nothing will happen.

On another cheery note, saw on the tv the other day that they will seize cars now if the tax is 2 months and a day out of date. 

We've had a few cars clamped recently parked outside on the road for no tax. We even had one clamped outside the tyre fitters on a private business park.

The DVLA have subbed it out to a private company who are obviously on commission 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

They can ring the insurance companies to see who is covered for what, so unless it was 3am, they could have sorted it by the roadside.  Basically, if it was covered, regardless of the MID, nothing will happen.

On another cheery note, saw on the tv the other day that they will seize cars now if the tax is 2 months and a day out of date. 

We've had a few cars clamped recently parked outside on the road for no tax. We even had one clamped outside the tyre fitters on a private business park.

The DVLA have subbed it out to a private company who are obviously on commission 

Ive seen the vans around here too