Sign in to follow this  
Grantlfc81

Price of used cars going up

Is it me or are the price of 06-10 plate cars like bmw 1 & 3 series m sports, Audi TT, well specced mini coopers, Audi A6 ltd editions such as LeMans seem to be going up in price? Or is there just a lack of good quality stock about? 

We are now on 14 cars for the month and only hold 10-12 cars, and we are going on a buying frenzie this week as we only have 3 cars in stock and they are all being prepped (although did pick up a great mini convertible last night from Facebook)

Business is absolutely booming. But we are selling quicker than we can buy them! Impossible to get fully stocked at present

God knows about the German stuff but age wise that’s my market and there’s plenty of shit to sift through to get to the half-decent stock at its current, strong prices. I’m definitely paying more for some cars than I used to, the knack has been to concentrate on the cars that sell but I guess that’s always been the case.

There are plenty of arseholes courtesy of the email system but overall business is certainly doing fine at the moment - not particularly on units, more on profit per unit.

We only sell bmw 1-3-5 series, Audi a3,a4,a6,a8, TT’s  and minis, unless a decent vw Passat estate comes along or a nice golf. Literally can’t sell this stuff quick enough, however we stay away from all 4x4 and 7 seaters. 

We sold 3 on Friday within 2 hours, a6 lemans 2010, VW Passat 06 plate estate and 318d 10 plate, all full money and all with over £1k in them and full money. It was a splendid day hehe.

we are internet based only, but are getting an amazing forecourt on the 1st seeptember but I’m scared the forecourt is going to be totally empty with walk on customers at this rate! 

Edited by Grantlfc81

10 minutes ago, tradex said:

You should be getting a mention in the next Queens Birthday Honours list, if there is any justice;)

Haha, we have learnt our market pretty quickly, doesnt take long to figure out the problems. Although mini’s we go through with a fine tooth comb as they are bags of sh*t, truth be known.

why is everyone steering clear of them?

big rewards if your buy correctly.

39 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Haha, we have learnt our market pretty quickly, doesnt take long to figure out the problems. Although mini’s we go through with a fine tooth comb as they are bags of sh*t, truth be known.

Congratulations,if you are knocking them out.I have to tell you,it will not last and there will be disasters waiting to happen and not far away.You will probably be back on here shortly  with a different story........I am sorry to say,it is the nature of the trade.

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Bloody computers sure they need coffee as much as i do to get going. 

We often end up with far to many gaps on the pitch and often get the ho ho ho you closing down guv, just smile and say nope business is good as we sell low mileage quality there always in demand, or something like that that, just remember there are people closing there doors daily in our game so its not a bad position to be in.

As regards your stock profile stick to your guns just because some other dealer has had back luck with them models doesnt mean you will, i bought two Fiat Puntos the weekend to look over at my mates shaking there heads at me Marmite comes to mind.

cars have gone up this year big time in my opinion but people fail to appreciate the fact especially previous customers who say they paid less last year for the same spec

Seems to be model specific. Trying to sell my own Porsche 996 turbo. Its a good one too. We're always rock solid investments, but prices seem to have softened a little and not seen much interest and at £30k its a good £3k behind book !

Talking of mini's good old mike brewer is doing one tonight any bets on what faults arise, 

1. Power Steering

2. Excessive corrosion 

3. Window regs

4. Stupid B pillar plastics 

thats the older one covered, 

New ones, 

Same as above but add timing chain.

49 minutes ago, Andy Entwistle said:

Seems to be model specific. Trying to sell my own Porsche 996 turbo. Its a good one too. We're always rock solid investments, but prices seem to have softened a little and not seen much interest and at £30k its a good £3k behind book !

Hi Andy....So CarDealer mag CEO has a Porsche ( I hope you don’t watch Top Gear aswell )......very sad.

9 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Andy....So CarDealer mag CEO has a Porsche ( I hope you don’t watch Top Gear aswell )......very sad.

I dont watch top gear anymore since they left the bbc whats sad about the porkers 

2 hours ago, Andy Entwistle said:

not helped by speculators adding 5k onto the probably 'real' value in hope that they are the next porsche to shoot up in value, there will be someone soon enough if its a nice one

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Well, its got to be better than that Grand tour drivel..... :-) 

Cliche huh! But a 911 Turbo was the car I always had on my wall. At least I got to own one for a while. Back down to earth with bump. Picked up a 2.5 986 Boxster. I'd go as far as to say its the worst looking one in the country, previous owner repainted it, I think with a roller... but at £2k, I can't complain......

1 hour ago, Andy Entwistle said:

Well, its got to be better than that Grand tour drivel..... :-) 

Cliche huh! But a 911 Turbo was the car I always had on my wall. At least I got to own one for a while. Back down to earth with bump. Picked up a 2.5 986 Boxster. I'd go as far as to say its the worst looking one in the country, previous owner repainted it, I think with a roller... but at £2k, I can't complain......

We will let you off......A few weeks ago a friend of mine recently retired had wanted to show off his new car.As none of us was interested,he was then having to apologise for  buying ( not renting ) this new Porsche.His mitigating circumstances were that having mainly used public transport and worked in the same office for 40 years doing boring  litigation stuff he had built up a good pension so with his tax free lump sum and he had bought his dream car....His explanation fell on stony ground.

• Like 1

I had a couple of 911 Targa's in the late 90's. I've just look at the prices, my God..I should of sat on them !! Porsche's haven't been my drug, give me a proper V8 AMG and I'm a happy man.... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Is it me or are the price of 06-10 plate cars like bmw 1 & 3 series m sports, Audi TT, well specced mini coopers, Audi A6 ltd editions such as LeMans seem to be going up in price? Or is there just a lack of good quality stock about? 

We are now on 14 cars for the month and only hold 10-12 cars, and we are going on a buying frenzie this week as we only have 3 cars in stock and they are all being prepped (although did pick up a great mini convertible last night from Facebook)

Business is absolutely booming. But we are selling quicker than we can buy them! Impossible to get fully stocked at present

I must be in the minority,I think since last Autumn stock has been both as cheap and plenty full as I can remember.I think too many rely on these valuation guides which most of the time are way out.If you cannot get the right stock in your locality,you have to ‘get on your bike’.Although we now favour on line buying,our guy was on the motorway at 4am last Tues.and back to the pitch for 6pm having bought a load of stock.....I remember when it was normal for traders to do that 2 or 3 times a week.

9 hours ago, justina3 said:

Talking of mini's good old mike brewer is doing one tonight any bets on what faults arise, 

1. Power Steering

2. Excessive corrosion 

3. Window regs

4. Stupid B pillar plastics 

thats the older one covered, 

New ones, 

Same as above but add timing chain.

Thermostat housing.

Oil leaks (various).

Gearboxes.

And then when the car’s right you have to deal with the punters...........

13 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

I love em!! :D

12 hours ago, trade vet said:

I must be in the minority,I think since last Autumn stock has been both as cheap and plenty full as I can remember.I think too many rely on these valuation guides which most of the time are way out.If you cannot get the right stock in your locality,you have to ‘get on your bike’.Although we now favour on line buying,our guy was on the motorway at 4am last Tues.and back to the pitch for 6pm having bought a load of stock.....I remember when it was normal for traders to do that 2 or 3 times a week.

Its certainly out there and I agree. If we stuck rigidly to the guides we would never buy anything. Bought a couple of nice well specced BMWs with a good £2.5/3k margin across them yesterday but paid well over cap clean for both. Doesn't matter what cap says the retail prices of them are way above caps.