Sign in to follow this  
Dan W

Ex motab car condition

20 minutes ago, met said:

DLA is not means tested, it's an 'allownace' not a 'benefit'?

Motobility scheme would require you to swap your higher rate mobility component for 'a car'. There are many people who need/use their cars to go to work, they don't necessarily live on council estates?

Met....you might want to prepare for possibly getting both barrels from BHM...

24 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Met....you might want to prepare for possibly getting both barrels from BHM...

In fairness there are many people that claim DLA and are not scumbags.

I can't imagine falling out with BHM, he's one of the stars of this forum!:D Plus, I had to stick a few guys in my 'ignore' list after the big IMDA 'debate':D

Edited by met

15 minutes ago, met said:

In fairness there are many people that claim DLA and are not scumbags.

I can't imagine falling out with BHM, he's one of the stars of this forum!:D Plus, I had to stick a few guys in my 'ignore' list after the big IMDA 'debate':D

Sold a WAV to a lovely old bloke Thursday. Could hardly walk more than 20ft without getting out of breath.  Had a stick and a great attitude. 

Having to get out of his Micra he bought new three years ago (on finance) as his wife was struggling to lift his little scooter out of the the boot. 

Anyway, worked all his life, never claimed and he said he couldn’t get anything on Motability as he was too old apparently.  I can’t see how that’s true but I wouldn’t be surprised.

37 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I do agree about good people who need a Motability car and look after them.However they are outnumbered by those proffessional benefit claimants who abuse the system.I have even heard of Motability cars being rented out as Taxis.....I have to admit that before on line buying,we did benefit from buying Motability stuff needing bodywork.There was usually a good choice needing work at B/Bushe on a Friday and being from up north,we could get the work done for half the price.I recall seeing some rediculous cars in the Motability section like Saab Convertibles which made you wonder what was going on.

And yet a guy I know owns nursing homes and is crawling in it, changes his car pretty much when it runs out of juice, in the last year has had a V10 M5, couple of range rovers, 5.0 toerag and whole host of of little things to run about in all new, his daughter is disabled and due to that gets a motab car... 

Edited by Paddy

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

And yet a guy I know owns nursing homes and is crawling in it, changes his car pretty much when it runs out of juice, in the last year has had a V10 M5, couple of range rovers, 5.0 toerag and whole host of of little things to run about in, his daughter is disabled and due to that gets a motab car... 

If he owns a nursing home he definately will be 'crawling in it'?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

I do agree about good people who need a Motability car and look after them.However they are outnumbered by those proffessional benefit claimants who abuse the system.I have even heard of Motability cars being rented out as Taxis.....I have to admit that before on line buying,we did benefit from buying Motability stuff needing bodywork.There was usually a good choice needing work at B/Bushe on a Friday and being from up north,we could get the work done for half the price.I recall seeing some rediculous cars in the Motability section like Saab Convertibles which made you wonder what was going on.

I am sure there is abuse to the system, I used to buy battered Motability Scenics for nothing out of Bridgwater. However, I believe its the other way around and the "greater majority" are or have been hard working people who have sadly become disabled in later life. There are scumbag abusers, but definitely not the greater majority.

17 hours ago, met said:

DLA is not means tested, it's an 'allowance' not a 'benefit'?

Disability Living Allowance. I don’t know about you but I’d say receiving almost £4500 p.a. is most certainly a benefit!

Too many in this country with too soft a view on scroungers, I’d axe this allowance/benefit today & those parasites you say apparently need it to get to work(!!) can either spend their own money or get the bus - those were my 2 options when I was a young man.

15 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Sold a WAV to a lovely old bloke Thursday. Could hardly walk more than 20ft without getting out of breath.  Had a stick and a great attitude. 

Having to get out of his Micra he bought new three years ago (on finance) as his wife was struggling to lift his little scooter out of the the boot. 

Anyway, worked all his life, never claimed and he said he couldn’t get anything on Motability as he was too old apparently.  I can’t see how that’s true but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Yes, there’s an upper age limit in opening a claim. I guess the idea is reduced mobility is part of getting older. Seems a little harsh to me when so many young parasites are getting away with a life of benefits living off the sweat of people like me. Too many new cars doing the pizza delivery runs - I wonder if they’re insured?

Father in law has a motability car and think he must be the exception to the rule, never bought a new car in his working life, now 86 he's got his first motab car after pestering him for ages about what he's entitled to, has a gorgeous 17 plate Civic and must say his is like new. Washes it religiously, always vacuuming it, gets it serviced regularly, (think it gives him something to do) he said this weekend " well its not my car really is it" - think it must be a generational thing. If I see that going through the hall I'm definitely having it

• Like 2

we usually get decent cars from motab, the odd bad one.

but this was just abused and clearly it was like they deliberately tried to damage or make the car as untidy as possible, I just feel somewhere down the line they should be brought to task over it.

32 minutes ago, RH Trading said:

Father in law has a motability car and think he must be the exception to the rule, never bought a new car in his working life, now 86 he's got his first motab car after pestering him for ages about what he's entitled to, has a gorgeous 17 plate Civic and must say his is like new. Washes it religiously, always vacuuming it, gets it serviced regularly, (think it gives him something to do) he said this weekend " well its not my car really is it" - think it must be a generational thing. If I see that going through the hall I'm definitely having it

My father in law is exactly the same, religiously cleaning it... he also has a tartan blanket and Panama hat on the parcel shelf :)

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me why so many of the ex-Motability cars are less than 18 months old ?

Surely there is some kind of minimum term contract ?

22 minutes ago, twerp said:

Can someone explain to me why so many of the ex-Motability cars are less than 18 months old ?

Surely there is some kind of minimum term contract ?

a lot of they are getting the award taken off them, quite a few stricter tests now on who can have motab.

Back in the days of working at a main dealer I had a lot of dealings with motability customers. Motability would allow people to change cars early in exceptional circumstances. As time went on and things got slacker I had people changing early because they didn't like the colour.

4 hours ago, BHM said:

Disability Living Allowance. I don’t know about you but I’d say receiving almost £4500 p.a. is most certainly a benefit!

Too many in this country with too soft a view on scroungers, I’d axe this allowance/benefit today & those parasites you say apparently need it to get to work(!!) can either spend their own money or get the bus - those were my 2 options when I was a young man.

Yes, there’s an upper age limit in opening a claim. I guess the idea is reduced mobility is part of getting older. Seems a little harsh to me when so many young parasites are getting away with a life of benefits living off the sweat of people like me. Too many new cars doing the pizza delivery runs - I wonder if they’re insured?

Out of interest,we have a Dominos Pizza near us.I know a retired guy who works 5 nights a week there £50 per night plus tips for delivering etc, but they do insure him.Anyway I was asking him how the shop was doing when the Pizzas are nearly £20.Apparently on a Saturday alone it takes £10k,because all these lazy students think nothing of ordering deliveries with their plastic cards.

Had 2-3 of this condition. First was a 2010 Micra that genuinely made me wonder if it was owned by a homeless person. It looked and smelled like it had been lived in, including piles of dirty clothes.

Had another that topped the Micra, full of food, clothes and rubbish and stains. Such a stench to it, had to empty it with gloves and masks.

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, Arfur Dealy said:

My father in law is exactly the same, religiously cleaning it... he also has a tartan blanket and Panama hat on the parcel shelf :)

I think we must be related, same here along with a massive AA road atlas in the boot (just in case) even though he's got sat nav. never goes further than 10 miles per trip and wont go on the motorways as "its full of bloody idiots these days"

On 11/06/2018 at 7:38 AM, BHM said:

You're my hero BHM, but have you heard of 'Occam's razor'?

4 hours ago, RH Trading said:

I think we must be related, same here along with a massive AA road atlas in the boot (just in case) even though he's got sat nav. never goes further than 10 miles per trip and wont go on the motorways as "its full of bloody idiots these days"

LIKE :)

1 hour ago, met said:

You're my hero BHM, but have you heard of 'Occam's razor'?

Hi Met....Have you heard of Hickams Dictum,the opposite of Occams Razor.When applied appropriately  ( I think)to the Welfare system in our region,you may find that a majority of claimants have the equivalent of a PHD in benefit scrounging.....Get one benefit and more  appear to kick in,so there is no way these people can afford to get a job.