Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

An absolute s**t service from BCA Assured

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

I am sure Nick is a good guy Arfur.I am just trying to get across how he should deal with the next BCA Assured misdescribed Car where he could be a grand out of pocket.You cannot be suspended for complaining about a misdescribed car,despite what people are saying......I want all the guys on here to do well.

I don't doubt that for a minute ;) 

I certainly wouldn't be threatening legal action over such a small amount of money, you could argue the tyres were quoted as having 40% of tread remaining, thus 40% refund or there about.... You win some and lose some with the Manheim and BCA.... Lets remind ourselves of all the times when the car arrives and it is much better than graded, with new tyres, new brakes, undisclosed spare key, a wallet full service history, service book in the boot....... its "swings and roundabouts". 

• Like 1

I think the worst I've had was a couple of years ago on a Merc S350CDI that I bought for a friend (nothing in it for me after he settled his finance less than a month in) and he was super happy with. The only problem was that we'd paid £14K, a grand over Cap Clean and the service printout with 5 services, 5 main dealer (no book on the newer model) turned out to be from a Merc A180. They said that our correct printout will be sent through the post. It was, with 2 services only. 

I talked to the branch manager and they just wanted the car back (matey didn't want to give it back) although I said to him we can always buy it again for less. In the end the vendors Mercedes Retail offered £500 and matey accepted. Still drives it happily... 

41 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I don't doubt that for a minute ;) 

I certainly wouldn't be threatening legal action over such a small amount of money, you could argue the tyres were quoted as having 40% of tread remaining, thus 40% refund or there about.... You win some and lose some with the Manheim and BCA.... Lets remind ourselves of all the times when the car arrives and it is much better than graded, with new tyres, new brakes, undisclosed spare key, a wallet full service history, service book in the boot....... its "swings and roundabouts". 

Whilst i agree with this a little and are happy to let some things slide, as an industry we really ought to be putting them to task on everything that they do wrong.....

Also if the shoe was on the other foot and we owed BCA £40 they would most definitely threaten court action.

Way back when, we bought a Peugeot, took it to MOT same day to find the back axle was snapped. They wouldn't take it back.

On 06/06/2018 at 11:29 AM, Nick M.K. said:

Interesting points in this forum thread. Some say it's not worth the hassle at all to chase BCA for tyres, others say you have to go through all the hoops of getting the full invoice value paid out including threatening court action, which in case you didn't know entitles BCA to close your buyer account... 

BCA said that they will contribute to the cost of two brand new tyres. Since the old tyres were already half worn (and more) I am happy with a contribution. I don't expect an auction company to pay my full tyre bill. What I wasn't happy with was the time it took and the amount of evidence they required after the MOT fail. Not to mention the size of their "contribution"...

Heard of two guys who got nasty with BCA Nick .

both banned from buying for 12 months .

Well I managed to get my money back form BCA regarding a E class merc I bought. They are a bit slow though, I was having to chase them, but I got my money back in the end.

I’ve never had a favour from an auction house.

I have, a portion of chips on tick because I had no cash on me :) and she forgot the week after so a freebie 

21 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’ve never had a favour from an auction house.

When we attended sales before buying online,we often got favours when they got to know you.You might buy a few and have a couple of provisionals.To save the provisional office guys time negotiating improvements,we might say ‘we can only improve £300  on the two,we will leave it to you.’They used to appreciate that because a lot of traders give them a hard time.So often you might get them for less.

Sorry but my idea of a favour doesn’t involve me bidding myself up. 

I suspect there are very few dealers who can identify TRUE favours given by auction houses.

You get small favours. Provisionals telling the vendor "this guy bid on 20 of your lots today, let him have it", The auctioneer knocking the hammer for you on Going Twice or completely ignoring the screen with a higher net bid or even starting the bidding at £7K when Cap Clean is £9800... They add up over time. 

41 minutes ago, BHM said:

Sorry but my idea of a favour doesn’t involve me bidding myself up. 

I suspect there are very few dealers who can identify TRUE favours given by auction houses.

I disagree BHM,you must have had cheap provisionals where the auctioneer says ‘no chance’ or ‘ on a wing and a prayer’ etc and you then get them with a small improvement.I can think of lots of stuff.

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

I get free food

Never been offered free food at the block,only free tea at Scottish,rarely bought it as auction food was usually awfull and I went all over,I recall Mansfield being OK and maybe Newmains.Are there any good ones around these days.

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

I disagree BHM,you must have had cheap provisionals where the auctioneer says ‘no chance’ or ‘ on a wing and a prayer’ etc and you then get them with a small improvement.I can think of lots of stuff.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Paying more money than you bid and the auctioneer submitting bids isn’t a favour - it’s the auction houses’ job to submit bids & they also charge for this ‘service’. 

I’ll happily say I’m wrong when I get 5 examples of auction houses doing real favours, not simple doing their jobs. 

As I’m sure you can tell, I have little time for auctioneers & their bullshit. I’ve yet to meet one who plays with a straight bat.

13 minutes ago, BHM said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Paying more money than you bid and the auctioneer submitting bids isn’t a favour - it’s the auction houses’ job to submit bids & they also charge for this ‘service’. 

I’ll happily say I’m wrong when I get 5 examples of auction houses doing real favours, not simple doing their jobs. 

As I’m sure you can tell, I have little time for auctioneers & their bullshit. I’ve yet to meet one who plays with a straight bat.

Five examples...OK ...I hope they count !

1) We used to sell ex Police stuff in a big way.Heading down to Leeds and hit heavy fog.Ring them up and ask them to hold the sale for a hour until I get there or it will cost the taxpayer.They did,got a shed load of stuff.

2) A long time ago,I was at our local auction talking to a trader friend who had his 10 year old son with him who was interested in cars.He said he would  like to bid for one.So I asked permission from the auctioneer and he allowed the boy to bid on this Capri.So he was waiving his hand in the air and the auctioneer was pointing out his bids confirming they were serious bids.The other bidders weren’t impressed resulting in them stopping bidding.The auctioneer then  knocked it down cheap to the boy amid the confusion.

3) We used to go to Newmains Glasgow on a Tuesday and buy late Austin Rover stuff which was entered from their Bathgate factory.There would be a lot of stuff and sometimes you might miss the start.The sale had started this day when I got there and I get called to the rostrum.You have bought 2,they were expensive but don’t worry I am just getting the sale going.Stuff is making good money but now and then some cars are being knocked down very quickly and are for nowt.I think on this day I got 2 expensive and 4 for very,very cheap.

4) Used to buy stuff from Kinross night sale  and I would leave bids with this lady.Next morning I would ring to see how we did,I remember the first time she said....you have bought them all,they were all below your bids....and they are already on there way.

5) Another Scottish story,I was going to BCA Ingleston on the train with another trader.Heavy snow storm and the train chucks it.We eventually get to the sale as it is just finishing.I think it was young Mr Beith as he was then,went out of his way to go through the unsold stuff and we both bought a few.

How am I doing BHM,do these qualify or are they too historical,do I need to fast forward.

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Five examples...OK ...I hope they count !

1) We used to sell ex Police stuff in a big way.Heading down to Leeds and hit heavy fog.Ring them up and ask them to hold the sale for a hour until I get there or it will cost the taxpayer.They did,got a shed load of stuff.

2) A long time ago,I was at our local auction talking to a trader friend who had his 10 year old son with him who was interested in cars.He said he would  like to bid for one.So I asked permission from the auctioneer and he allowed the boy to bid on this Capri.So he was waiving his hand in the air and the auctioneer was pointing out his bids confirming they were serious bids.The other bidders weren’t impressed resulting in them stopping bidding.The auctioneer then  knocked it down cheap to the boy amid the confusion.

3) We used to go to Newmains Glasgow on a Tuesday and buy late Austin Rover stuff which was entered from their Bathgate factory.There would be a lot of stuff and sometimes you might miss the start.The sale had started this day when I got there and I get called to the rostrum.You have bought 2,they were expensive but don’t worry I am just getting the sale going.Stuff is making good money but now and then some cars are being knocked down very quickly and are for nowt.I think on this day I got 2 expensive and 4 for very,very cheap.

4) Used to buy stuff from Kinross night sale  and I would leave bids with this lady.Next morning I would ring to see how we did,I remember the first time she said....you have bought them all,they were all below your bids....and they are already on there way.

5) Another Scottish story,I was going to BCA Ingleston on the train with another trader.Heavy snow storm and the train chucks it.We eventually get to the sale as it is just finishing.I think it was young Mr Beith as he was then,went out of his way to go through the unsold stuff and we both bought a few.

How am I doing BHM,do these qualify or are they too historical,do I need to fast forward.

ive never given more than ive bid

i might have lost loads of cars

but

the auction houses knew where i stood

to bring this up to date

i now bid online only

my bid is final

i will not kertow to giving more,take it or leave it

old saying but true saying the first bid is the best bid

funny those that pay more soon go bust,i follow them:)

i do worry that online they know what im willing to go up to due to using that internet magic stuff where data is collected

9 hours ago, chief runnin bee said:

ive never given more than ive bid

So if you are a after a particular vehicle for example and you have £9500 for it (and a customer lined up, ready for it with £11500 and finance approved) and your top bid in the hall or online reaches £9000 provisional do you leave it? 

Edited by Nick M.K.

12 hours ago, trade vet said:

Never been offered free food at the block,only free tea at Scottish,rarely bought it as auction food was usually awfull and I went all over,I recall Mansfield being OK and maybe Newmains.Are there any good ones around these days.

Best full english at Mansfield manheim hands down. Locally sourced oraganic food there, shame I don't get to go much as it must be one of the most expensive auctions in the land.
Kinross auction had the best steak pie going.
Manheim Shotts the coldest bleakest windiest auction house a good squaure sausage and lentil soup on a Tuesday to keep me going.

No wonder since I switched to buying online I have literally lost about 5 stone :lol:

15 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

No wonder since I switched to buying online I have literally lost about 5 stone

Not walking the few miles between cars every week at Blackbushe had the exact opposite effect on me :-)

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Best full english at Mansfield manheim hands down. Locally sourced oraganic food there, shame I don't get to go much as it must be one of the most expensive auctions in the land.
Manheim Shotts the coldest bleakest windiest auction house a good squaure sausage and lentil soup on a Tuesday to keep me going.

No wonder since I switched to buying online I have literally lost about 5 stone :lol:

Rory we must have crossed paths I’ve spent many a day in the Mansfield canteen, excellent food and nice staff, them flap jacks weren’t good for my wasteline though! There was a right funny old auctioneer in there that used to come out with some good crack “come on gents its only had 10 owners and all them loved it” 

4 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Shotts is bleak in August !

4 hours ago, Rory RSC said: