Sign in to follow this  
umesh

BEST and WORST decision that you've made in your business

2 hours ago, Screenman said:

Not hanging onto many of the cars I sold in the seventies and eighties, they would have made a nice pension pot.

you would still be sweeping up with the 70's stuff though

funny how a chopped off sill on an old ford seemed to take up two buckets for all the rust

• Like 1

Opening our own workshop and more recently doing our own smart repairs / paint / alloy refurbs. Transformed the speed for having cars on sale.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Opening our own workshop and more recently doing our own smart repairs / paint / alloy refurbs. Transformed the speed for having cars on sale.

So jealous. 

58 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Yep. I knocked a few walls down last year and now have a two/three car bay and like you, it's made a huge difference. There are far too many advantages to list. All major mechanical and paintwork still goes out but I am toying with the idea of knocking up an extension, taking on a painter and setting up a mini body shop which could open to the public for smart repairs, alloys, etc but more importantly would make buying a little more easier on some of the edgy stuff.

• Like 1

Best.. Videos and only appointing customers who’ve paid an upfront deposit. 

Getting my unit, no more customers coming to my home.

Buying online, saving so much time and effort. 

Worst. I honestly can’t think of any apart from not learning the first time about buying anything Range Rover. 

Long time ago...., overfilling my Zippo, lighting a cig in stop start traffic (it exploded) and then crashing into the back of an unmarked cop car...

oh and rolling my mums Fiat 128 on the day I passed my test... she didn’t know I’d taken it..

Those were the days...

BEST; Deciding to give it a go in this industry. After 20+ years as a wage slave (albeit reasonably well paid in a different industry) I do not miss the rat race whatsoever.

WORST; Deciding to give it a go in this industry. I had no idea just how stupid, deceitful, obnoxious, rude, greedy, arrogant, ignorant, ill-informed & self-important a fair percentage of the general public are. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BHM said:

BEST; Deciding to give it a go in this industry. After 20+ years as a wage slave (albeit reasonably well paid in a different industry) I do not miss the rat race whatsoever.

WORST; Deciding to give it a go in this industry. I had no idea just how stupid, deceitful, obnoxious, rude, greedy, arrogant, ignorant, ill-informed & self-important a fair percentage of the general public are. 

Punters have never changed,they never annoyed me as much as smarmy main dealer sales managers and occasional auction managers (who were usually on the bung),bullshitting traders who let you down with bad descriptions or bouncing cheques.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2018 at 3:26 PM, BHM said:

I now enjoy at least one arsehole-free day every week & have no regrets whatsoever. If I have too much to drink on a Sunday I sometimes have a second arsehole-free day with a hangover on a Monday &, again, I have no regrets whatsoever. The joys of working for oneself.

That, to me, is what it's all about.  Some folks do well on Sundays, and good for them.  But for me, the greatest thing is NEVER working on a Sunday.  I have to be pushed REALLY hard to see an appointment.  I have the same attitude to 'off Mondays'.  It is the joy of being self employed, but it's also the whole point - putting yourself before some money grabbing director who NEVER works on Sundays (typical - do as I say, not as I do)