Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Complaint #2 Response

17 minutes ago, James01 said:

Talking of maintaining customers cars for them. 

We had a chap on the phone yesterday complaining that a car he bought from us recently does not start due to a gearbox sensor not recognising it is neutral. For love nor money could I remember who this customer was as his name did not ring a bell. I looked back in our records to find that apparently December 2016 classes as recently!! The lovely chap has even raised a quality complaint with the finance company.

Needless to say I think it will be easy enough to prove that his car has started on the button for the last 16 months and 17,000 miles he has covered and therefore was not present at sale as he claims.

Chancer comes to mind!

What kind of car.... im curious

I reckon a toyota with MMT autobox. Or a Renault!

I forgot about those, I took one in swap with that problem. Fortunately the customer was honest and told me! Think its repairable but thats not really your issue is it....

C3 Pluriel? Used to suffer with the same issue if the battery voltage dropped off

We have a Tiguan with a clutch that has transformed into a lathe and has cut a perfect hole into the gearbox... lost all of its fluid and burnt 4 gears!

1 minute ago, Stalker said:

We have a Tiguan with a clutch that has transformed into a lathe and has cut a perfect hole into the gearbox... lost all of its fluid and burnt 4 gears!

My own CLS350 Shooting Brake has just broken it timing chain guide and come to a grinding halt...... The first time in 30 years I have a chain / belt problem....

Apart from a golf 1.4 tsi with a stretched chain (NEVER AGAIN)

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

My own CLS350 Shooting Brake

Nice thing that (aside from the chain issues)

2 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Nice thing that (aside from the chain issues)

Agreed, but very harsh suspension and not enough boot space. Bought an Allroad BiTDI this week as my smoker and I have to say its an awesome car. 

30 minutes ago, tradex said:

Shooting Break? ;)

Posh name for an estate/fastback

31 minutes ago, tradex said:

Shooting Break? ;)

Shooting broke :D

34 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Posh name for an estate/fastback

Shooting broke :D

Shooting breaks or Woodies..they could  bring them back but  with clip on synthetic wooden panels these days,call them limited edition Hickstead or Sandringham spec Mini Clubman £40k or  Discos £65k,they would sell.Give one to Meghan and ‘jobs a goodun’.

12 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Shooting breaks or Woodies..they could  bring them back but  with clip on synthetic wooden panels these days,call them limited edition Hickstead or Sandringham spec Mini Clubman £40k or  Discos £65k,they would sell.Give one to Meghan and ‘jobs a goodun’.

or you go to woolies and buy a few yards of that sticky back plastic wood effect and turn an old cortina estate into a woody

oh hold on ford did and woolies went tits:lol:

13 minutes ago, tradex said:

Well, although they are known for being used by the country set Champagne Charlies (Purdeys, Holland & Hollands etc) in the 30's, they are were correctly known as Shooting 'Brakes', not 'Breaks', something to do with horse carriages I believe....all very odd, cool name though.

Jag XF was also called a shooting brake and I think they coined it first, somehow feels more fitting for JLR than Merc IMO - I am a Merc fan but they don't do muddy fields well

On 17/04/2018 at 7:28 AM, tradex said:

I agree with Arthur.

It's all about the car being sound, right, genuine, call it what you want, I would say 'proper' at the point of sale, bar declared faults. It goes out all good. No skeletons or dramas.

Most us here aren't dealing here with new cars, some are nearly new (under 2 years) but a lot of us are dealing with, let's be honest 'well looked after, well prepped but old bangers'. I've said it before, if you have been new cars (I've owned quite a few) then at 3 years old they really showing signs of being tired.

Now that may sound a bit harsh, but manys the time I have had to give customers a reality check when they utter something like "ohh, I've never bought a car this new" when it's 10 plate car. Well it maybe new to you, but to a lot of people it's a very old car, a banger, a jaloppy,  a shed, coming to end of it's life. Be assured, it will cost you money to maintain the car, faults will develop, it's an old car, if you want something cheaper to run then buy new, enjoy lower running costs, better reliability (?) and suffer the depreciation that comes with owning a new car.

The trouble is, there are too many people driving cars they simply can't afford to run.....you need only look at most Range Rovers slick tyres. Likewise I'm always amazed how few of our customers take the option to upgrade warranties, we offer 3 months on everything, from a grand worths of banger to a 10k gem. A tenner a week for a decent warranty is criminally cheap to me, but so few see it that way.

100% spot on. Apparently the AVERAGE car life is 13 years so a good number of of us here will be selling cars close to the knackers yard.

Opinions vary and my father (a new car man) can drive what I consider to be, say, a nice old car but he thinks is almost scrap. The last that springs to mind is a Volvo XC70 with a few miles on its back.

My opinion was it’s was a nice old car with FVSH, drove right, recent brakes etc.

The buyer loved it, very happy, a bit of flash for not much cash & was a £40000 car at a tenth of the price.

When my father drive it his opinion was that it’s just another flogged-out old heap of shit with ropey brakes! 

The last paragraph of tradex’s posting summaries this game - everything boils down to £, many punters can ONLY see the price and nothing else. If two 10 year old cars were the same except one had FSH, new cambelt & new clutch + DMF and the other didn’t BUT they were separated by £500 then I know which would sell first - depressingly I had this recently & all of my phone calls were about ‘the shitter’ ......and I still have the gem.

I've always been a Merc man, but thought I would have a change...  I've bought an Allroad BiTDI and have to say its awesome, instant power, very comfy and very refined. The question is, do I get it remapped....... ? 

Just now, Arfur Dealy said:

I've always been a Merc man, but thought I would have a change...  I've bought an Allroad BiTDI and have to say its awesome, instant power, very comfy and very refined. The question is, do I get it remapped....... ? 

Do you have the switchable exhaust Simon - they sound the nuts for a derv

Yes Mark, when you put it "dynamic" mode it changes the exhaust note to a lovely burble, I keep make excuses to take it out for a thrash....

Beautiful car and they go like stink. 

I had switchable/dynamic mode on my XKR and like you, after unlocking the doors, the next button I pressed was the dynamic exhaust - 7.7mpg was a killer though

1 hour ago, BHM said:

The last paragraph of tradex’s posting summaries this game - everything boils down to £, many punters can ONLY see the price and nothing else. If two 10 year old cars were the same except one had FSH, new cambelt & new clutch + DMF and the other didn’t BUT they were separated by £500 then I know which would sell first - depressingly I had this recently & all of my phone calls were about ‘the shitter’ ......and I still have the gem.

Sad but true.

I would go for the Remap Simon. Drove one of them back late night from Auction Kinross to Cheshire and set my record journey time in of of those A6 3.0 BiTdi's .

Perfect car for motorway blasts.

7 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

I would go for the Remap Simon. Drove one of them back late night from Auction Kinross to Cheshire and set my record journey time in of of those A6 3.0 BiTdi's .

Perfect car for motorway blasts.

Anyone who does that return journey in a day deserves all the success that comes their way. Carlisle was the furthest I ever got. And that is why I never moan about online fees.

18 minutes ago, sparky said:

Anyone who does that return journey in a day deserves all the success that comes their way. Carlisle was the furthest I ever got. And that is why I never moan about online fees.

Kinross to Cheshire ,excuse me but that is not a bad run late at night weather permitting.You can go a long way in 3 hours after 8pm.Before on line buying,the guys who were any good had to be up and down the length of the country at least twice a week and often buying nowt.Now you can do 4 different sales at once sitting down,that is what our guy does.