Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Touch ins/paint work

My rule of thumb is generally to hand pick cars to the extent I don’t need any paint prep, to keep the timescales down from purchase to sale. That’s fine if I can afford to be fussy but the larger my forecourt grows the more likely it will be I will need to take on stock that needs paint prep. 

I know next to zero about what can be done without repainting the full panel and what can’t. There’s a couple of body shops  near me which i’ll have to work a relationship up with but as ever this forum will be a font of knowledge. 

What sort of paint prep works do you lot usually have done? Obviously not much on a 10 year old 80,000 mile car but a 3 year old Car with 20,000 miles on will attract a certain level of expectation. Do bodyshops do touch ins? Which I assume relates to stone chips, door edge chips and short deep scratches? Obviously faint scratches (that don’t catch your fingernail) will polish out, will a body shop undertake this or would I need a car detailer to machine polish? 

I know bumper scuffs, long deep scratches etc will need a spray, it’s just for the less severe stuff, almost the stuff that people could DIY themselves if they wanted to. 

What sort of prices would be a decent gauge? £180 per panel for a respray? What about a few touch ins and a light machine polish on a couple of panels?

Muchos Gracias 

You want to be doing touch ins, small areas of compounding etc yourself...it's too easy to justify paying someone else to. Just practice on an old shed until you get good at it. A few GB stickers are worth having in the drawer. My advice would be to buy loads of silicone for handovers and expect your chosen painter to go AWOL quite often. They like a drink and the fumes don't help.

I do have a machine polisher and compound and i’m not averse to having a go, as it were. I understand the principle behind paintwork correction, wet sanding, compounding etc. Part of it is having the time, I’m still a part time trader. So it would just be useful to be able to shove it on to someone and pay for convenience. When i’m full time i’d love to get into prep myself. Paintwork, brakes, basic servicing etc. 

Here’s my set up for smaller smart repairs but with a 2k finish unlike many smart repairers - do it myself

959211FB-F6CF-49E0-A8F1-8FC3CF75E5A0.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, s and b said:

nice

like it

those scales can they do dope:lol:

Best thing I have bought so far (Smart repairs is how I started in the trade originally)

Heavy stuff = Bodyshop Under £3k = I do it

Here's before and after - passable 

After.jpg

Before.jpg

Looks like I have been rumbled :blink:

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Best thing I have bought so far (Smart repairs is how I started in the trade originally)

After.jpg

Before.jpg

Did you rub down with 400/600, paint blend, and clear the whole tailgate, good job. Wasn't there no money in smart repair? Thought they done quite well

None of the wealthy successful car dealers I know ever get their hands dirty, get a good smart repairer in the loop and you can spend your time doing what should earn you more, buying and selling cars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Did you rub down with 400/600, paint blend, and clear the whole tailgate, good job. Wasn't there no money in smart repair? Thought they done quite well

600 to 1200 - it was only lacquer peel but to lose edges had to flat more than I hoped, hence taking out base coat.  Then 2k the whole boot (I try and clear coat whole panels where possible, saves a lot of fade out and mopping).

You can make good money and I enjoy doing the odd car of my own but it's no fun (for me) doing 2-3 every day, for ever and a day.

1 hour ago, Screenman said:

None of the wealthy successful car dealers I know ever get their hands dirty, get a good smart repairer in the loop and you can spend your time doing what should earn you more, buying and selling cars.

I have fewer than 10 cars at the moment, so have the odd few hours most days where I can turn my hand to repairing my own cars when perhaps there isn't enough in a car to justify outsourcing or the affected area is so minimal.

On the other hand, I am happy to outsource valeting, that is serious graft for less than 50 notes. I also outsource all mechanicals and PDI because I am not a mechanic.

Successful? no, happy? extremely 

• Like 3

A good independent bodyshop where you go relatively regularly will charge you around £100 per panel, a little less if its mutiple panels on the same car. I dont bother with smart repairs (I deal in up to £5k) so its either a touch in stick or paint work - most smart repairers struggle to get a good finish and I've had them end up looking worse than if I hadnt bothered. Build a good relationship with your bodyshop and you may get the odd polish job thrown in from time to time. And the one I use lets me borrow the tins of paint to do a touch in if I havent got the right colour in my box of touch in sticks.

Customer expectations- Always high but most will accept a few little dents or chips/scratches. If they dont get its a used car at the time they are looking at it with you, then you dont need to be a genius to work out what may happen next.

Simon does an excellent video for any prospective customers where he shows any marks on the car. It doesnt stop him selling, so dont worry too much about honest dents and scuffs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

A good independent bodyshop where you go relatively regularly will charge you around £100 per panel, a little less if its mutiple panels on the same car. I dont bother with smart repairs (I deal in up to £5k) so its either a touch in stick or paint work - most smart repairers struggle to get a good finish and I've had them end up looking worse than if I hadnt bothered. Build a good relationship with your bodyshop and you may get the odd polish job thrown in from time to time. And the one I use lets me borrow the tins of paint to do a touch in if I havent got the right colour in my box of touch in sticks.

Customer expectations- Always high but most will accept a few little dents or chips/scratches. If they dont get its a used car at the time they are looking at it with you, then you dont need to be a genius to work out what may happen next.

Simon does an excellent video for any prospective customers where he shows any marks on the car. It doesnt stop him selling, so dont worry too much about honest dents and scuffs.

Thanks mate. I do exactly the same as him and point out every scratch and chip. It hasn’t stopped me selling either but I just think if I stock something that is around the £10k mark then people may expect more and if I can make the unit more appealing to as many people as I can, then that’s what I should be doing. Useful advice thanks. 

You need a good couplle if bodyshops to use. 

Unfortunately with bodyshops as you grow and start selling nicer cars or having more stock about you a lot of them will think you are raking it in and want to start taking the piss with charging for jobs or letting standards go. Its always worth spreading the work across a couple of places to keep them in check IMO. Never be too dependent on any one company in this job.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

Cheers Mark, my video take away the customers pretence of having to pick fault “no surprises” guaranteed. Of course paint depends on the car, not everyone is looking for a mint example and few scuffs and scratches should be expected. As I say the bodywork might have a bit of “character” but don’t we all as we get older, laugh.....

It’s a few touch-ups for me, them smart repair guys are a pain in the arse unless you can guarantee them regular work like a main dealer.

If you’re selling cars up to £4K you shouldn’t be doing much paintwork cos it’s not worth the effort or cost.

In this game there’s a lot of crap talked about regarding bodywork - the average man in the street wouldn’t know a good job from a bad job, they don’t notice if it’s dull, if it’s got run marks, prep marks or a few shades out. Punters can see dents & stonechips, they can’t see dodgy colour matching, rub marks or wavey filler.

The few times a year I pay for paintwork I use a guy who’s absolutely fucking useless. He only works half days cos he’s a piss head and his work is full of rub marks, overspray, poor colour match but he’s cheap, is prepared to use a mountain of filler & he’s a nice old boy. I have NEVER had an adverse comment from a punter about his paintwork.

• Like 1

Just now, BHM said:

It’s a few touch-ups for me, them smart repair guys are a pain in the arse unless you can guarantee them regular work like a main dealer.

If you’re selling cars up to £4K you shouldn’t be doing much paintwork cos it’s not worth the effort or cost.

In this game there’s a lot of crap talked about regarding bodywork - the average man in the street wouldn’t know a good job from a bad job, they don’t notice if it’s dull, if it’s got run marks, prep marks or a few shades out. Punters can see dents & stonechips, they can’t see dodgy colour matching, rub marks or wavey filler.

The few times a year I pay for paintwork I use a guy who’s absolutely fucking useless. He only works half days cos he’s a piss head and his work is full of rub marks, overspray, poor colour match but he’s cheap, is prepared to use a mountain of filler & he’s a nice old boy. I have NEVER had an adverse comment from a punter about his paintwork.

spot on

i used to worry that a paint job on say a wing was a slightly different shade but came the realisation that im in the 10% of the population that can actually see this

i dont get where arthur dealey shows stone chips though as if its a badge of honour take it or leave it

ive  gone through dozens of boxes of bryant and mays over the years using the ends to touch up any chip no matter how small

its so useful when the couple come to view, the husband wanting, the wifey with her arms crossed doesnt want it because she would rather have a holiday, but my matches get the sale because theres nothing to slag on the car

little things make heap big money see

7 minutes ago, BHM said:

PMSL absolutely hilarious - I hope you have left him such a 5 star review on his web page - class.  I rarely laugh out loud, but you've just made me do that very thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

PMSL absolutely hilarious - I hope you have left him such a 5 star review on his web page - class.  I rarely laugh out loud, but you've just made me do that very thing.

Haha, but what f***ing website is that? He’s so out of date he can’t text - tbh I suspect he can’t read them due to dodgy eyes judging by the work he produces.

• Like 1

what is it with painters and booze i dont know a sober one, they all finish at 3 i think there all in AA together and thats not the break down cover version, how half of there lungs are still working i cant walk in the workshop half the time i have to bang the door and up he pops no mask talking to me as if this is so normal.

But to be fair to the dude i couldnt survive without him, I am finding if the car is right spec color miles ect and there is a panel or two to paint stock is so hard to get you have to have a punt.

8 hours ago, justina3 said:

what is it with painters and booze i dont know a sober one, they all finish at 3 i think there all in AA together and thats not the break down cover version, how half of there lungs are still working i cant walk in the workshop half the time i have to bang the door and up he pops no mask talking to me as if this is so normal.

But to be fair to the dude i couldnt survive without him, I am finding if the car is right spec color miles ect and there is a panel or two to paint stock is so hard to get you have to have a punt.

My painter goes on 3/4 day cocaine benders so unreliable but excellent painter. 

On 06/04/2018 at 1:06 AM, Mark101 said:

After.jpg

Before.jpg

I’m impressed.....that talent will save you £25k per year.

I always carry a good selection of Sharpie pens fort such occasion

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

I’m impressed.....that talent will save you £25k per year.

When your quiet enough to have the time to do it yourself maybe, if i spent hours on end doing that nothing else would get done and i would have cars backed up waiting to be worked on.

On 07/04/2018 at 6:37 AM, Screenman said:

Are there any successful,wealthy and profitable car dealers left out there,I cannot think of any..... can you ?