nigeldalley

Warning for those who tax via DD

Afternoon everyone,

Like many of us I often tax a stock vehicle to drive around in and cancel the DD when sold. It's useful as I haven't had my own personal daily vehicle for years really and also with some stock vehicles it's good to check everything works by driving them for a few days.

Went to tax a stock vehicle over the weekend as we had sold the one I was using and the dvla site wouldn't let me tax it via DD, the error message read something like "we cannot proceed with DD payment setup using this bank account, please proceed to tax via debit card for 6 or 12 months"

I have today called the DVLA to question this and have been told they now monitor cancelled DD payments and are blocking accounts that continue to do this and there was no way of un-blocking our bank account. She suggested using a different bank account and always cancelling via the DVLA site.

Obviously we do register the new keeper via the online system but this would never cancel the DD for us as the vehicle is registered in the trade hence cancelling the DD.

Looks like I need a new personal car!!

or just tax for 6/12 months and cash in when it sells, only downside being that you need to add an owner. but if you keep it for a few weeks anyway shouldnt be too much of an issue. cant see any good reason for them doing this though

I plan on paying myself a car allowance and renting one from myself to cover this issue - funnily enough, the allowance is very similar to the rental!

Seriously though, if you tax a car properly whilst the V5 is in the last keepers name, will they not receive any refund instead of you?

I recall selling an Astra to a bloke who boasted that he buys cars and does the direct debit road tax just to get them back to his place, and then cancels the DD before DVLA can take the payment. 

I just use my trade plates. That’s what they’re for & in my opinion I pay for them so I like to get my shillings worth.

• Like 2

Possibly why they have stopped it. Personally I always did let the initial payment go out so I had actually paid for the tax I used. I pointed out how much money this meant I paid on tax over the year but I suppose it's still not the correct way the system works.

We obviously use trade plates for our stock but just annoying not to be able to make use of one now!!

17 minutes ago, BHM said:

I just use my trade plates. That’s what they’re for & in my opinion I pay for them so I like to get my shillings worth.

Just an extended test drive isn’t it, mr officer? 

• Like 1

Haha, I know what you mean but the rozzers have much better things to do nowadays than pull over cars that are clearly taxed & insured on the MID - the days of Dixon of Dock Green are long gone :lol:

4 minutes ago, BHM said:

Haha, I know what you mean but the rozzers have much better things to do nowadays than pull over cars that are clearly taxed & insured on the MID - the days of Dixon of Dock Green are long gone :lol:

:)

Thats OK DVLA I just wont tax my "own" car then, more money you're losing after binning the disc. :rolleyes:

Interesting, so what is the minimum time you car tax a car for, trade or private, without incurring penalties or upsetting DVLA?

They couldn't tell me what trigger I'd hit as I think it's most likely just a computer looking for patterns. Annoying as I only tax one vehicle at a time until it sells whilst all other stock remains as normal in the trade and untaxed so I can't have done it that many times over the course of each month say.

Their main point seemed to be that direct debits must be cancelled by using the DVLA website to notify of new keeper or SORN. Be interesting to know if when you notify of a new keeper whilst it's been taxed within the trade if this would then cancel your DD as a trader or would it still run?

Never took this chance of it not before as it easier to cancel through online banking whilst I'm on there.

So, I'm guessing the DVLA knew about this possible loophole but hoped it wouldn't be exploited to death. I'm guessing changes are afoot?

Edited by met

On 19/03/2018 at 1:00 PM, nigeldalley said:

They couldn't tell me what trigger I'd hit as I think it's most likely just a computer looking for patterns. Annoying as I only tax one vehicle at a time until it sells whilst all other stock remains as normal in the trade and untaxed so I can't have done it that many times over the course of each month say.

Their main point seemed to be that direct debits must be cancelled by using the DVLA website to notify of new keeper or SORN. Be interesting to know if when you notify of a new keeper whilst it's been taxed within the trade if this would then cancel your DD as a trader or would it still run?

Never took this chance of it not before as it easier to cancel through online banking whilst I'm on there.

They will never cancel the direct debit if the car if it is in trade and you are paying it with DD, even if you inform them that you have sold it to mr x and mr x has also paying the tax. they will keep taking the payments from both trader and keeper. If as a trader if you tax the vehicle for 6 months or year, they will not send you any refund unless the car is registered with your name. I hope it clarifies the situation 

the system isn't devised to have people try and short cut it

this is why they are using a blunt instrument to stop it

i really cant understand why any trader still wants to run a sales car

• Like 1

I can understand & do so myself. All of my cars are driven by me before sale (it’s part of my sales patter) & I have ALMOST zero comebacks. In addition to this I ask myself why do I need one more car as I have plenty of stock.

Finally, cos I’m greedy & don’t want to pay for road tax - that’s what my trade plates are for.

• Like 1

my personal smoker costs £30 a year to tax, ive got £500 in it, its worth treble, i would go 500 mile in it tomorrow without even thinking about it if need be, my trade plates are for demonstration and thats about all, how much are the trade plates that allow you to go home and shopping then ? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

my personal smoker costs £30 a year to tax, ive got £500 in it, its worth treble, i would go 500 mile in it tomorrow without even thinking about it if need be, my trade plates are for demonstration and thats about all, how much are the trade plates that allow you to go home and shopping then ? :rolleyes:

Same price plus some creative lyin....I mean, thinking. 

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

Yeah I just make sure I’ve got a free road tax car in stock, V40 Diesel, iQ, something along those lines are fine, failing that, I’ll follow the line of BHM and explain the vehicle is used as part of ‘testing’ following a major repair, as I’m sure “testing” is one of the allowed uses of the trade plates.

Well Mr officer, if my next customer is your daughter, you’d want me to test my piece of stock out thoroughly in addition to an MOT and PDI wouldn’t you?

11 hours ago, justlooking said:

Yeah I just make sure I’ve got a free road tax car in stock, V40 Diesel, iQ, something along those lines are fine, failing that, I’ll follow the line of BHM and explain the vehicle is used as part of ‘testing’ following a major repair, as I’m sure “testing” is one of the allowed uses of the trade plates.

Well Mr officer, if my next customer is your daughter, you’d want me to test my piece of stock out thoroughly in addition to an MOT and PDI wouldn’t you?

no

unless you stipulate you are a repairing garage at trade plate renewal ie you are  say a testing station

you would be better to say you have been to a repair garage and returning to base

im assuming you dont have repair garage facilities and or you only have one set of plates for demonstration purposes

ive just remembered you also had to sign an  

Affidavit

on the renewal this year and enclose a copy of your insurance which will be clear what your insurance actually covers

be careful

just sayin...........

Edited by s and b

....... I only use mine for demonstration, but always display them in the car, only been pulled once and that was at an Xmas drink drive checkpoint, got told off for not displaying properly. 

I’ve never read so much shite about using trade plates as I have reading this particular topic. Some of you must be old women.

Police pulling over trade vehicles on the MID with trade plates in the window??? What a load of bollocks - who on here is regularly pulled over by the police in such circumstances? (Answer: no one).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BHM said:

I’ve never read so much shite about using trade plates as I have reading this particular topic. Some of you must be old women.

Police pulling over trade vehicles on the MID with trade plates in the window??? What a load of bollocks - who on here is regularly pulled over by the police in such circumstances? (Answer: no one).

Why would anyone risk loosing there livelihood by not using and displaying plates as we have agreed to by signing the form ?

Because i certainly couldn't run my business legally without them ?

Its not like you can just go out and get another pair? is this why this year dvla asked for proof of insurance to cut down on the ******?

I got pulled last week by the police as there in car systems do not show if i car is on the mid or not, they have to ring and check stupid system i know but thats what he did, i think if you have trade plates on they dont bother as they almost know its going to be on the database, i being a wally forgot mine rushing and took a flyer got off with a dont let me see you again talking to.