Sign in to follow this  
SuperLease

Supermarket diesel

Guy rings up on a diesel we've got for sale.

C: "Do you know if it has ever had supermarket diesel in the tank?"

Me: "I wouldnt know for certain sorry why do you ask?"

C: "My friend is a mechanic and he said not to buy any car that has had supermarket fuel put into it"

Me: "Why not?"

C: "Its cheap because it ruins your engine"

Me: "They sell cheap milk as well does your friend know if thats bad for you too?"

C: "I dont know I wouldnt think so hes a mechanic not a doctor?"

Me: "Do you think if the milk was bad for you because it was cheap that they would be allowed to keep on selling it?"

C: "No I suppose not"

Me: "Makes you think doesnt it?"

C: "Erm yes I see what you mean"

Me: "Good luck finding a used one that you can be sure has never had any cheap nasty supermaket fuel in it"

C: "Ok thanks, could I come and look at it anyway"

Me: "Only if you feel safe and you dont bring your friend with you"

C: "Be down at 10am tomorrow if thats ok?"

Me: "No problem I might be a couple of minutes late, I need to stop off at asda for some milk on the way in. You'll be wanting a nice cup of coffee when you get here wont you?"

C: "LOL"

• Like 1

Its something to do with the amount of bio fuel that supermarkets put in diesel, had problem on 15 plate transit few weeks ago and when the weather was freezing,  it clogs up the fuel filter and puts it in limp mode. Had to have heaters on the fuel filter, it helped a bit, put new filter on and was perfect again. Apparently around here Morrisions is renown for it, even AA lad I know said when its freezing over night they get a fair few call out for it

Its something a mechanic I know blames for injector problems on diesels when they get older - apparently more cleaning agents in BP etc. Better check in the glovebox for all the old fuel receipts!

Cant remember the exact percentage, but it was they use something like 7.2% filtered basically chip pan fat cant be good 

10 years ago we posted warning notices around the sales office,notifying punters not to use supermarket diesel,as in the event their warranty would be void.

All suppliers use the same base fuel and that base fuel must meet certain standards.

The differencen thereafter is the additives they choose to mix it with and of course you pay a premium for thia fuel because certain additives enhance the performance and economy but there is no evidence or proof that the base fuel actually damages the engine. 

1 minute ago, SuperLease said:

All suppliers use the same base fuel and that base fuel must meet certain standards.

The differencen thereafter is the additives they choose to mix it with and of course you pay a premium for thia fuel because certain additives enhance the performance and economy but there is no evidence or proof that the base fuel actually damages the engine. 

Does anyone remember,10 years ago ,several of the supermarket groups had to compensate 1000’s of people who had bought their ‘spot market’ Rotterdam diesel ( I think it was called) and  because of a crap mix ,it  damaged engines.

41 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Its something to do with the amount of bio fuel that supermarkets put in diesel, had problem on 15 plate transit few weeks ago and when the weather was freezing,  it clogs up the fuel filter and puts it in limp mode. Had to have heaters on the fuel filter, it helped a bit, put new filter on and was perfect again. Apparently around here Morrisions is renown for it, even AA lad I know said when its freezing over night they get a fair few call out for it

All diesel sold has a percentage of biodiesel in it.

The only difference between fuel sold in supermarkets and fuel sold by the oil companies is the additives used.

28 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Cant remember the exact percentage, but it was they use something like 7.2% filtered basically chip pan fat cant be good 

Sorry, but total crap.

2 minutes ago, SuperLease said:

From what I remember the fuel was actually contaminated.

Yes....,the mix was polluted.cheap supermarket fuel helps drive their overall sales,the chances are,it will happen again.

They state at pump its 7% so hows it total crap?

Supermarkets seem to have a higher content than others, as it makes it cheaper

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

They state at pump its 7% so hows it total crap?

Supermarkets seem to have a higher content than others, as it makes it cheaper

1. Because you think it's basically filtered chip fat!!

2. 100% Bio Diesel last night was trading 18.618 ppl more than Diesel. Therefore a bioblend of 7% would cost more than a bioblend of 5%

Ahh well then I apologise, if you saw the fuel filter though I think you would agree with that statement

Van had full Ford service less than 800 miles ago, obviously new filter then

The bottom line is,you have to discourage punters from using supermarket fuel.I seem to recall the last time problems occurred,who did the punters come to first.......us of course !

• Like 1

How are you meant to know though if a used car that youre selling has or has not had supermarket fuel in it? 

When / if he turns up tomorrow I might offer to replace the fuel filter and then if he decides to not use SM fuel thereafter at least he will have peace of mind. 

Only time ive had issues with it is when it freezes and depending on where and what position fuel filter is it gets really thick in fuel filter, ie transit right underneath so gets the wind aswell as cold. We have got a polar vortex on the way lol 

What's wrong with people, honestly. 

I was a manager for a big supermarket with a petrol station many years ago, and I can't remember anyone moaning.  I do remember reading something about one store that had a batch of contaminated fuel delivered, which (I think) had water in it or something.

Millions of cars run on and use supermarket fuel with no issues.  Can't believe some of these questions the punters come up with - even after so many years in the game.   

Wasn't there a post on here a while back where someone was asked by a potential customer if they could 'categorically say that a dog had never been in the car'? Shouldn't laugh..

• Like 2

Neither Shell nor BP have refineries in the UK. Their fuel come from the same terminals as the supermarkets.

Their was an issue with contamination in the South West recently with Diesel from one of the terminals.

Some of the supermarkets were affected. So were some of the oil companies, but they were not so open about the problem.

People do add used cooking oils to their fuel whilst filling up. I seen it done to both new and old cars! Try to get them to admit to it when their is a problem!

Look at how olive oil sets when cold. False economy.

48 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Anyone noticed how the price of fuel is creeping up weekly again 

Sorry, no. It’s was down to 113.9ppl in Asda today.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

£124.9 Here diesel

Really!?!! I think you mean 124.9p :lol:

Asda 118.9p pl today. 

9 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

my local garage ask me for just £20, sainsburys demand £20.01p or the lady gets very angry [bitch] :lol:

Cos when she sees you she thinks “here’s that punter that’s always trying to get something for nowt” :D