Sign in to follow this  
Grantlfc81

Internet based only

Hi is anyone here purely internet based?

We trade from a warehouse and We use purely Autotrader and eBay classifieds and was wondering if anyone else is trading like this?

Its been very very slow the last two weeks and only had a few calls on the 16 cars. We got a fantastic deal on our warehouse but moving to somewhere that is on a main road In the heart of essex is a huge difference in overheads so out of the question at present.

it seems that even though our stock is in excellent condition and has FSH etc people don’t seem to look beyond price point online. We only stock Audi, merc, bmw and mini.

Edited by Grantlfc81

23 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

We trade from a warehouse and We use purely Autotrader and eBay classifieds and was wondering if anyone else is trading like this?

Its been very very slow the last two weeks and only had a few calls on the 16 cars. We got a fantastic deal on our warehouse but moving to somewhere that is on a main road In the heart of essex is a huge difference in overheads so out of the question at present.

it seems that even though our stock is in excellent condition and has FSH etc people don’t seem to look beyond price point online. We only stock Audi, merc, bmw and mini.

I’m absolutely the same and wouldn’t want to work any other way. I have a unit which holds 20 cars and advertise solely with AT and eBay. Every one on my cars is sold online prior to viewing. I don’t facilitate viewings at all. Confirmed buyers only.

• Like 1

There no way I would be just internet based, I have a forecourt and 60% of sales come from passer by. Just being on the web means your prices will have to be very competitive. 

I think if your on line only you either have to cut your margins to almost zero or have something that no one else has, having stock that just has FSH and in excellent condition isnt enough just because someone has a retail premises doesnt mean they dont have the same level of product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

There no way I would be just internet based, I have a forecourt and 60% of sales come from passer by. Just being on the web means your prices will have to be very competitive. 

I agree,you cannot beat a well positioned main road pitch,60% etc that is excellent.They are hard to get and can be expensive but they are cost effective,I know a lot don’t agree.

4 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

I knew a guy who only sold  high spec Audi Avants,all mileage’s ,it worked.They are plentiful to buy at the block.

Hi Grant.

I'd suggest being online only demands the most desirable, well presented, well advertised stock and maybe a little something to diversify yourself... Transparency Cars, who's commented above, seems to have the right idea.

Want to link us to your stock?

7 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

like Arfur and yourself, we are internet based, viewings by appointment only, got a couple sites for storage, do youtube videos of all our cars and lots of quality clear images, reviews important also.

the last week has been quiet for us. total of 3 enquiries all week on 15 cars (2 AT and 1 Gumtree), week before was 13 enquiries.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, justlooking said:

like Arfur and yourself, we are internet based, viewings by appointment only, got a couple sites for storage, do youtube videos of all our cars and lots of quality clear images, reviews important also.

the last week has been quiet for us. total of 3 enquiries all week on 15 cars (2 AT and 1 Gumtree), week before was 13 enquiries.

Do you mind me asking about your storage? Is it indoors/outdoors, costs etc? PM if you don’t want it public! Thanks 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

Do you mind me asking about your storage? Is it indoors/outdoors, costs etc? PM if you don’t want it public! Thanks 

messaged

3 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Some of our stock.

we have sold 3 cars today would you beleive it :)

Feb always is a funny month 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/services/car-dealers/uk/east-of-england/essex/billericay/village-cars-billericay-billericay-dpp-10012523

That 6 series is a real mans car. I had a 2004 640i convertible as a smoker for a while. 

Yes what a car, I’ve been picking up the ladies in it for the last 3 weeks lol.

I’ve had 3 test drives on it this week but can’t shift it. One guy checked it over for around 45 minutes with a fine tooth comb, said it was the best one he has seen out of around 6 others, never heard from him again lol. 

Im sure It will go soon, drinks like a fish though.... service history on it is immense.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

That 6 series is a real mans car. I had a 2004 640i convertible as a smoker for a while. 

Can you imagine describing ‘a real mans car’ in your advert today.The PC Police would be on to you.........Don’t go to LA,you would be appalled,16 year old girls in new Bentleys and up spec Range Rovers,they have to get them valet parked,you have got to laugh !

When we are young we want to be driving around in the latest cars.... I’ve had Range rovers and Porsche cayenne’s etc, now I drive 50 different cars a month I just want to get in my 53 plate Renault traffic van and put the radio on and I’m happy as a pig in shit lmao

We’re purely internet based but only part time. We had a very slow year last year, luckily as it’s only a secondary income we didn’t need to rely on it.

This year seams to have picked up a lot better so far though.

18 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

When we are young we want to be driving around in the latest cars.... I’ve had Range rovers and Porsche cayenne’s etc, now I drive 50 different cars a month I just want to get in my 53 plate Renault traffic van and put the radio on and I’m happy as a pig in shit lmao

So true, I don't have a car in my name, I drive whatever has free fuel......

• Like 1

I have just moved from a large expensive roadside site to a large industrial unit in the last couple of months. I honestly can say I do not know why I didn't do it sooner. Overheads have reduced by over half, viewings appointment only so no sitting in a showroom looking out of the window on quiet days, no staff, cars stay clean and the customers who do come down 9/10 buy. For me it's been a great move as I did not do a not do a lot of passing trade. That said I do not sell much under £10k so one would not expect to sell many cars of that value via passing trade. It says a lot that some lovely car sites that would have been snapped up in our area a few years ago have stayed empty due to the rental of them and lack of return they bring now.

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

So true, I don't have a car in my name, I drive whatever has free fuel......

Ditto,I would often take an old swapper home from the pitch if it had fuel in it.When I was doing long haul late night and early morning runs to the block,I would often use big ex police patrol cars which were chipped to hell.It is only now I have a nice car and it is a cast off from my wife.

39 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

We have a E350 Coupe with all the posh dongers on.. That seems to spend most its life going nowhere as we travel every where in my VW Caddy work bus. Gotta love a van

11 minutes ago, James01 said:

I have just moved from a large expensive roadside site to a large industrial unit in the last couple of months. I honestly can say I do not know why I didn't do it sooner. Overheads have reduced by over half, viewings appointment only so no sitting in a showroom looking out of the window on quiet days, no staff, cars stay clean and the customers who do come down 9/10 buy. For me it's been a great move as I did not do a not do a lot of passing trade. That said I do not sell much under £10k so one would not expect to sell many cars of that value via passing trade. It says a lot that some lovely car sites that would have been snapped up in our area a few years ago have stayed empty due to the rental of them and lack of return they bring now.

That’s interesting,in the north east you can’t get good roadside pitches any more.What area are you in and what rents and rates do they charge for these vacant pitches you mention out of interest.

We are based in the south east. The site we had was £5250 rent a month and £800 rates. Could fit probably 35 cars on site and 7 in showroom. 

12 minutes ago, James01 said:

We are based in the south east. The site we had was £5250 rent a month and £800 rates. Could fit probably 35 cars on site and 7 in showroom. 

Thank you James,I see,it would have to be a really good pitch and you would probably need to do at least 10 proper deals every week to pay for the staff ( 2 sales,2 valeters,gofers ),plus all the other stuff to generate any profit.However,that would not put me off,if it was in a good catchment area and I was able to find some figures from previous tenants.A good pitch,always remains a good pitch......However,you appear to have made a good move,it must be a relief ( I have made several bad ones in the past )

Well, the fact we don’t need to clean our cars anymore in a warehouse is amazing, once the cars are polished and prepped that’s it. I must say, we convert most customers from autotrader / eBay via appointments. 

Our new warehouse fits about 15 cars and is only £700 a month with no rates. Amazing. And we are in the heart of essex 

Edited by Grantlfc81

3 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Well, the fact we don’t need to clean our cars anymore in a warehouse is amazing, once the cars are polished and prepped that’s it. I must say, we convert most customers from autotrader / eBay via appointments. 

Our new warehouse fits about 15 cars and is only £700 a month with no rates. Amazing. And we are in the heart of essex 

Yes it is amazing,where we are,25 years ago you could not get a unit that size for that money..

Some weeks/fortnights/months can be VERY slow sales-wise and it’s definitely harder making a sale than it was a few years ago.

I’m internet based also but if I have a quiet week or two I’ve always had a sudden rush which brings the money back up to average.

If your prices are right then everything sells (eventually). It’s true that being internet based you must be competitively priced for your area but the thought of being sat in a Portakabin for 10 hours a day during a quiet spell would have me suicidal so it’s not for me, although it would be nice to be able to charge pitch prices!