rich89

Buying a car with no V5

I always see cars going through auction with no V5.

It's always put me off (unless they say plate transfer etc) as I just assume it would be a nightmare and take weeks to get it.

What's the process for a dealer to apply for one?

Complete V62.

Post to DVLA.

Wait.

There endeth the lesson.

Does it have to go into your name or does it come with the previous owner still showing as the keeper?

It has to go in your name.

I used to buy a few bits from a repo firm on ebay. Virtually all of them came with no V5. They were recently taken to court however, as there can be issues with ownership, so I stopped. Also, the stuff was mostly shite.

We, generally get a buyer, explain, take them to the post office to get their tax and complete V62, never had a problem, but don't make a habit of buying without!

• Like 1

if car paperwork not done at p/x time then sometimes the car is still registered to previous owner and wedding confetti might have been made of his log book,maybe they didnt like him so are hoping he gets fined or mandy in accounts forgot to do it online what with needing her toenails clipping and all.....................

anyway in such an event you can wait up to 6 weeks for the log book to come,i had one last week but the customer patiently waited for it as the car was for his newly passed driving test son

"And if no V5 still can't tax unless in trade, had that one before Christmas."

Got that one today. Hoping the customer will hang on as it isn't in trade.

Edited by David Ayers

1 minute ago, tradex said:

It's totally stupid though, what decent reason is there not to just tax the car off a reg' number and be done with it, all this faffing about with doc' ref's, in trade/out trade/V5C.....you'd think they would stop putting obstacles in the way of driving a car legaly on the highway?

It's not as if they need insurance anymore...just can't get my head around it, unless someone can point out why it can't be that simple?

Agreed 100%

Also, cars with no V5 are usually sold well behind book, so its often worth the 4-6 week wait for a new V5. 

• Like 1

We've always been pretty lucky with V5's coming through...two weeks max usually but I had one back within the week recently. I do love a behind book finance repo with no V5, scares the public at the block off no end

We buy a lot of stuff with v5 to apply and sell without and take customer to our local post office at point of sale and complete v62 with their details and the nice lassie even tax's car without v5 and sends completed v62 form away after £25 payment for replacement logbook sometimes she cannot tax without v5 depending on her computer whether it lets her or not and sometimes requires postcode of previous registered owner but not very often.

Edited by Ek cars

If you buy a car with no log book how do you get a new one to tax it do you need the details of the person you bought the car from

There is a pretty thorough description directly above your post Helen.

• Like 1

If I buy a car without a logbook as a trader, filling out a V62 would cause the vehicle to be in my name right? Would I have to sell it without the logbook and ask the buying to fill out a V62? As to avoid haing another registered keeper.

13 minutes ago, AU Trader said:

If I buy a car without a logbook as a trader, filling out a V62 would cause the vehicle to be in my name right? Would I have to sell it without the logbook and ask the buying to fill out a V62? As to avoid haing another registered keeper.

no thats illegal, misdescription, also take a look here

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/forum/topic/8508-d-v-l-a/

Do I have to send the V62 off myself and register it in my name? Would I become another registered keeper?

3 minutes ago, AU Trader said:

Do I have to send the V62 off myself and register it in my name? Would I become another registered keeper?

I dont understand what you are asking here

Can you clarify if you do not want Dave down the pubs advice that's invariably wrong

Hello dave:lol:

Right so.. I've bought a car to sell but it didn't come with a logbook as it's a CAT S. Once I've repaired it I'll need a V5c to sell it, as I'm sure many people would find it undesirable to buy a car without a V5c. From what I understand, to get a new V5c, I'll need to fill out a V62. But if fill out the V62 myself, then the car will have an extra registered keeper as the car will go in my name. How can I get a V5c without adding another registered keeper on? If I fill out the V62, will the car go into my name as a registered keeper or will it allow me to bring the car into trade?

I hope that makes sense, it makes sense in my head.

12 minutes ago, AU Trader said:

Right so.. I've bought a car to sell but it didn't come with a logbook as it's a CAT S. Once I've repaired it I'll need a V5c to sell it, as I'm sure many people would find it undesirable to buy a car without a V5c. From what I understand, to get a new V5c, I'll need to fill out a V62. But if fill out the V62 myself, then the car will have an extra registered keeper as the car will go in my name. How can I get a V5c without adding another registered keeper on? If I fill out the V62, will the car go into my name as a registered keeper or will it allow me to bring the car into trade?

You cant . Either have to register in your name or trading name i believe to get a physical paper v5 

Edited by Casper

First thing I suggest is you go on the dvla portal and ask if the car is in trade

If it is in trade that means car can be registered and taxed at a PO that does these things

So once customer buys the car,nip up to the post office give them £25 v62 fee with customer details all filled in then pay the extra for road tax

You could say the £25 is an administration fee or add it to your sales price or swallow it

A link above suggests you DO NOT apply in your name as dvla are not currently processing

I assume you are trading inbthe side as otherwise if you are on the 80% you will be committing an offence making a sale during this furloughing time

4 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

First thing I suggest is you go on the dvla portal and ask if the car is in trade

If it is in trade that means car can be registered and taxed at a PO that does these things

So once customer buys the car,nip up to the post office give them £25 v62 fee with customer details all filled in then pay the extra for road tax

You could say the £25 is an administration fee or add it to your sales price or swallow it

A link above suggests you DO NOT apply in your name as dvla are not currently processing

I assume you are trading inbthe side as otherwise if you are on the 80% you will be committing an offence making a sale during this furloughing time

Why not do this then thats not adding an extra owner its whats most traders would do in those circumstances 

13 minutes ago, AU Trader said:

Edited by Casper

Thanks for your replies!

Would selling a car without a V5c be a fair bit harder? I'm sure alot of people would be reluctant to buy a car without a V5c? 

What if the car isn't registered as trade already? I won't be able to register it as trade since I don't have the V5c number?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, pretty new to this game. I'm not on the 80% since I'm just starting out

4 minutes ago, AU Trader said:

Thanks for your replies!

Would selling a car without a V5c be a fair bit harder? I'm sure alot of people would be reluctant to buy a car without a V5c? 

What if the car isn't registered as trade already? I won't be able to register it as trade since I don't have the V5c number?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, pretty new to this game. I'm not on the 80% since I'm just starting out

If not registered in trade post the application off now recorded signed for and be prepared for a 6 week wait

No shorts cuts I'm afraid

Its unsaleable without a log book or defo in trade

This is possibly why you got it cheap?

Everyone else had done their homework and realised it was a very large paperweight^_^

Just now, New year revolutions...... said:

If not registered in trade post the application off now recorded signed for and be prepared for a 6 week wait

No shorts cuts I'm afraid

Its unsaleable without a log book or defo in trade

This is possibly why you got it cheap?

Everyone else had done their homework and realised it was a very large paperweight^_^

I agree 

9 minutes ago, AU Trader said:

Thanks for your replies!