Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo

Still able to buy at cap average??

Finding it harder and harder to buy decent stock at cap average prices to leave enough to build in a worthwile profit. 

Seemingly now its more cap clean and over for most stock. 

Were in the south east. Is this normal across the board?!

Alas there was a time when average or below was the norm......... Can even remember getting stock at below the below! Tis getting harder and harder to find them at these prices, add the fees, prep costs, delivery etc and there isn't a great deal left. 

I know its hard and i do do it myself but traders need to set a limit and then stop. Sometimes i've gone to my max bid with a car with just a small profit in it and then the car has gone up another £200-£300 quid. I just cant see how these dealers are making anything. Generally now at Manheim B'ham I bid on about 6 or 7 and either get 1 or none. If everyone was strict with their max bids then the prices would drop but when there is something there you really like it easy to go over a bit.Might start trying to get some from facebook/gumtree.

If our guys relied on cap valuations,we would not have a business.Most of our stuff is well over Cap clean.I get tired of traders complaining about missing stuff because it was over Cap clean,when what they were after might have £2000 worth of extra spec.

26 minutes ago, trade vet said:

If our guys relied on cap valuations,we would not have a business.Most of our stuff is well over Cap clean.I get tired of traders complaining about missing stuff because it was over Cap clean,when what they were after might have £2000 worth of extra spec.

Very much how I operate.

As far as auctions are concerned CAP clean seems to now be the reserve they aim for. CAP average and below average don't exist any more?

48 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

And yet we put our cars through and we achieve cap shite

Ha Ha....Andy,it’s  been like that forever,unless of course you bung the yard manager for a good position followed by a bigger bung for the auctioneer for a good build up.Then of course if you ‘ring the bell’ there is an extra success fee for the auctioneer.Am I right or am I right,that was the way it used to be,has it changed ?

Only issue seems buying in costs more than cap clean and often selling price gets less than cap retail ..... squeeeeeeze

5 hours ago, trade vet said:

+1 I know a chap who moans about going over cap clean but a lot of cars make way over cap retail. 

7 hours ago, trade vet said:

Exactly, the black book used to be clean + £500 for extras like leather & Satnav. You don't see that in the valuations, each car I bid on I do a quick search within 100 miles to see the competition then retail back to my max bid, I stick to it religiously....

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Exactly, the black book used to be clean + £500 for extras like leather & Satnav. You don't see that in the valuations, each car I bid on I do a quick search within 100 miles to see the competition then retail back to my max bid, I stick to it religiously....

Prob is when we do that we’re effectively seeing an “advertised” price on AT. Not so much a “sold” price. 

A car on AT @ £8k doesnt always mean its worth £8k as a sale ive found

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Prob is when we do that we’re effectively seeing an “advertised” price on AT. Not so much a “sold” price. 

Agreed, but I don’t negotiate my price, the price is the price. A lot of buyers don’t want to negotiate, they want ease and simplicity. Also, our market is competitive, I don’t know a lot of local dealers who reduce. 

How many times do you sell a car over the phone when they buyer doesn’t even try to negotiate ?? For me it’s every time :) 

6 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Agreed, but I don’t negotiate my price, the price is the price. A lot of buyers don’t want to negotiate, they want ease and simplicity. Also, our market is competitive, I don’t know a lot of local dealers who reduce. 

How many times do you sell a car over the phone when they buyer doesn’t even try to negotiate ?? For me it’s every time :) 

Sorry but this isn't the way for me, 2 customers today, both wanted substantial amounts off and 1 even wanted 2 tyres and a major service. 

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I would say that a good per centage of £8k stuff will have a swapper,so any negotiation will be with the swapper and not the selling price.Cap GUIDE is a long way out on a lot of stuff and when mid Feb comes it will be outeven more.It has always been the same whether it is Cap,Glasses or the other one ( if it is still around )which they used to flog at the old Chelmsford !

53 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I would say that a good per centage of £8k stuff will have a swapper,so any negotiation will be with the swapper and not the selling price.Cap GUIDE is a long way out on a lot of stuff and when mid Feb comes it will be outeven more.It has always been the same whether it is Cap,Glasses or the other one ( if it is still around )which they used to flog at the old Chelmsford !

Yes, I remember that. Didn't they used to advertise in Car Auction Magazine (remember that!)

1 hour ago, Dealer said:

Sorry but this isn't the way for me, 2 customers today, both wanted substantial amounts off and 1 even wanted 2 tyres and a major service. 

???? Did you is my point, I don't negotiate. All of my cars are sold prior to viewing and collection. Buy it 

Now

Depends on the time of year, now no but in a few months time when we start hitting holiday season I think we will.

i still managed a few below cap below around April/June time last year.

Edited by Lakeside

12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

???? Did you is my point, I don't negotiate. All of my cars are sold prior to viewing and collection. Buy it 

Now

No discounts here unless I am sick of the sight of it and trying to get rid. 

You may also get a small amount out of me if I am in a good mood and sold a load of cars ie you are the 5th/6th buyer on a Saturday and laugh at my jokes :lol:

Probably 2/3 a month get a small discount out of 40+ sales. 

14 hours ago, Dealer said:

Me to turned away two the weekend as there offers where wait for it first one £75 more than i paid for the car the second £150 less than i paid for it.

• Like 1

Not used CAP for at least 3 years now, never accurate and adds more confusion than anything else, trade guides are always a guesstimate no matter who provides them. I look at how much I can sell the car for and knock off my costs and margin - that's my trade price, going off trade guides like CAP destroys my profit. throw them all in the bin

1 hour ago, RH Trading said:

Not used CAP for at least 3 years now, never accurate and adds more confusion than anything else, trade guides are always a guesstimate no matter who provides them. I look at how much I can sell the car for and knock off my costs and margin - that's my trade price, going off trade guides like CAP destroys my profit. throw them all in the bin

I agree this is the best way, but my point above remains in that when you look how much you can sell a car for, the prices on AT are just an advertised price - doesnt actually mean anyone will sell one at that rate

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I agree this is the best way, but my point above remains in that when you look how much you can sell a car for, the prices on AT are just an advertised price - doesnt actually mean anyone will sell one at that rate

agree completely, you get an idea of the market for that car right now live, see todays prices and who (franchise/home trader/supermarket/non franchise) then decide your own realistic price. You wouldn't buy a car for £4k at BCA based on it being a CAP clean trade price, if there are 200 on AT priced at £4500. - I've done that in the past to my cost and sat on a car for 9 months

• Like 1