jamslug

What camera do you use for taking car shots?

Hey again .

Just thinking about getting a new camera for taking advert photos. So before I started looking, I wanted to find out what you are all using, and what you may recommend. I don't want anything that costs thousands but want something that does the job and does the job well. I would say max budget of £500 unless anyone is using something that they really rave about.

It would be good to hear what you think.

James

Do you really need one? We take pictures on iPhones and often these are even good enough to print in the magazine. When you're advertising cars online an iPhone 5S will take extremely good quality pictures that will be far bigger than any web advertising site will be able to deal with. Just a thought...

Another vote for iPhone 5S here, never had a problem with quality.

The added bonus of iPhone is that Ive got the Dealer Portal app which I can upload photos straight to!

• Like 1

I'm quite a keen photographer and wouldnt bother getting my kit out to take car pics, especially with the limitations of the websites. I've been told the iphone has an exceptional camera with some very professional features where 'metering' is concerned. I would be more concerned with the subject and background than the camera to be honest

• Like 1

Another vote for the Iphone.

For a phone its a very good image. And always in my pocket.

Sizing is good, and easy to upload to a computer.

For autotrader, Ebay etc the quality is more than enough, and good for attaching to emails too

• Like 1

FWIW, we use a Nexus 10 Tablet and we can take good quality photos, upload to A/T & websites, print stock sheets via Google Cloud, prop finance deals, check auction stock, Skype and become a Black Belt in Candy Crush, all on the one device.

And half the price of an iPhone

...see how I didn't mention Soshall Meeja? But you can do that, too, if you have the time.

I was going to say maybe a tablet, as its easier to use as a computer

The apps are good, we use the dealer auction app, can appraise and upload photos direct on the phone out in the yard

I would. But I'm not sure an actual conversation using, you know, words and stuff is something he'd manage...

My main issue with it is the fact that it is anything but social. I was in my local the other day and there was a couple, obviously on some kind of date, who spent more time staring at the little screens in their hands than actually talking to each other. Wouldn't surprise me if they were texting each other. How sad is that?

Anyway, I don't think I'm on my own. For example, if the Big Question today had been:

Would the world be a better, more tolerant place without Facebook & Twitter?

..the Yes campaign would have smashed it out of the park.

• Like 2

Youi're absolutely right, my friend.  It's because I don't spend my free time poking, snapping and tweeting irrelevant cr@p around the universe..

....just on here... :D

But what if I told you this.....

Every single car under £5000 that I put on Facebook ...... I sell through facebook . Why don't you chew on that fact along with your muesli this morning :P

That's impressive and I'm glad it works for you. I don't generally sell many cars under £5k so we're not treading on each other's toes.

As of Aug 2013 (last published figures), approx one third of the population have active Facebook accounts. Which I admit is a lot.

But not as many as the two-thirds who haven't.

Hey, we can't be all things to all people, can we? What we do is find our position in the market and crack on.

Or, as matey from the DVLA would say, "Access your niche and exploit it"

And i'm more crunchy nut cornflakes than muesli

• Like 1

Neither do I , I am talking about my trade ins , facebook ; a better disposal method than auction and Trade-Mail . You can target the people with none of the monies and sell them 4k car on a 60 month term . Morally wrong , I know, but the commission can be good :D

I am going to start a new topic about the importance of social media. Because my camera question has been answered. lol ..

... that is where I will answer your question CJ

Cheers James. I took over from a pretty old fashioned 1970's sales manager.. Everything was done the old school way, so im pretty new to the social media side of things so looking at ways to improve