Arfur Dealy

Your favorite driving to auction albums

Driving up to BristoI today, on my own, no kids, no misses just "Deep Purple in Rock" making my ears bleed.......

58 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Driving up to BristoI today, on my own, no kids, no misses just "Deep Purple in Rock" making my ears bleed.......

I’m impressed,you cannot beat classic rock !

38 minutes ago, MrC said:

Highway to Hell

Brian Johnson AC/DC, also famous for putting vinyl roofs on Ford Cortinas !

Radio 4.

If it has to be music maybe a bit of The Specials if I need cheering up or The Black Keys if it's a long drive and I have time to get in a bluesy mood.

...pretty much always Radio 4 though. I'm not the worlds best driver and if I have music on I completely lose concentration. 

Do any of you tune the radio into a station you think will suit the buyer when you're taken photos or is it just me? Radio 1 for the sporty hatches, Radio 2 in the boring Japanese stuff, Classic FM in the odd Swedish bit and Radio 4 in the rest. Just me?

17 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Radio 4.

If it has to be music maybe a bit of The Specials if I need cheering up or The Black Keys if it's a long drive and I have time to get in a bluesy mood.

...pretty much always Radio 4 though. I'm not the worlds best driver and if I have music on I completely lose concentration. 

Do any of you tune the radio into a station you think will suit the buyer when you're taken photos or is it just me? Radio 1 for the sporty hatches, Radio 2 in the boring Japanese stuff, Classic FM in the odd Swedish bit and Radio 4 in the rest. Just me?

Grant, the Specials is one of my all time favourites, I regularly listen to “ghost town” to cheer me up ;) 

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Grant, the Specials is one of my all time favourites, I regularly listen to “ghost town” to cheer me up ;) 

B)

Can't really listen to Minor Threat or Dead Kennedys in a car but The Specials, The Beat, Orange Juice, Television are all perfect. The Thatcher & Reagan era was a bit before my time and looked a bit rough but they did spawn a fair few decent bands

I know a little about the music business as my daughter has worked promoting mostly American bands.You think our business is hard.Most of these bands who have been around for years,are constantly working and on the road somewhere,here,Europe,Aussie,Japan or US.playing in big venues etc.The thing is,most of them have got one thing in common,they are skint and have debts to record companies going back years,where they got contractually stitched up and don’t own their own music anymore.......Like the motor trade,nothing is what it seems.

I believe you only make real money in the music business if you’re on to your third, or more, successful album. The first two successful ones will be repaying record company charges which are front loaded. 

Mind you, it’s also the merchandising and endorsement fees that bring in the money.

i only play what ive found in the last car cd pl;ayer

im currently listening to the bus wheels go round and round

7 hours ago, BHM said:

I believe you only make real money in the music business if you’re on to your third, or more, successful album. The first two successful ones will be repaying record company charges which are front loaded. 

Mind you, it’s also the merchandising and endorsement fees that bring in the money.

A lot of them when they were starting out have signed what I think are known as 360 degree contracts,this is a severe form of PPI,which you cannot get out of.The record company lock them in and take 90% of their earnings and keep giving them advances to carry on.I think these last for about 25 years and then the bands  get to own their music again.The ‘merch stands’ at the venues used to be a good earner,but even that has now been squeezed because a lot of the venues now charge £300 per time for a merch stand.........I have to admit in the car I have several Eddie Stobart classic rock CDs,I like Tom Petty,Green Day and loads more inc metal bands.I also listen to a lot of the bands my daughter has worked with.......I would of thought that some of the contributors on here would have been into ‘yacht rock’,Phil Collins,Rod Stewart etc.

The cars “who is going to drive you home” nothing I seem to buy lately gets me home 

17 minutes ago, justina3 said:

The cars “who is going to drive you home” nothing I seem to buy lately gets me home 

Another good one !

I am not joking though, two bought last week Peugeot 207 1.4 petrol 2009 model 56k 2 owners 6 stamps in the book nothing nasty on previous mot advisories eml light on but was running fine,hand in the air like you just dont care bosh its mine, on the way home misfire started chugging spluttering all sorts of chaos finally got home and now 0 compression on cylinder one.

Ford Fiesta 1.2 zetec 2008 last of the old shape, but panther black and fully loaded 61k 1 owner from new again lets wave at the greedy folk behind the rostrum yippy on the way home stopped for fuel and then wouldnt start again, had to get towed back and now it has a transponder fault neither of the keys will work start the remote open the locks nothing turn the key and the immoboiliser is flashing like santa on a stag do in blackpool, 

Happy new year i am off to drown my sorrows in cake and chocolate at times like this i wish i drunk.

47 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I am not joking though, two bought last week Peugeot 207 1.4 petrol 2009 model 56k 2 owners 6 stamps in the book nothing nasty on previous mot advisories eml light on but was running fine,hand in the air like you just dont care bosh its mine, on the way home misfire started chugging spluttering all sorts of chaos finally got home and now 0 compression on cylinder one.

Ford Fiesta 1.2 zetec 2008 last of the old shape, but panther black and fully loaded 61k 1 owner from new again lets wave at the greedy folk behind the rostrum yippy on the way home stopped for fuel and then wouldnt start again, had to get towed back and now it has a transponder fault neither of the keys will work start the remote open the locks nothing turn the key and the immoboiliser is flashing like santa on a stag do in blackpool, 

Happy new year i am off to drown my sorrows in cake and chocolate at times like this i wish i drunk.

For the ford check the cables on the starter motor for tightness and the engine to bodywork earth lead

For the Peugeot 207 best set it on fire. last one I had it had the problems of ten cars in one and I'm dreading it might come back next week for an mot

50 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Hi Justina

A few years ago,our guy would buy some similar quality older stuff for good money out of a PLC dealer section.They were never what they seemed and weren’t worth the bother money wise.One non sale day,he was at the auction and he catches a guy with a code reader working on the same dealers entries ! We complained and the auction totally  denied colluding with their vendor to misrepresent their entries......Happy new year everyone 

cheers guys its all good fun, this is my bread and butter target market people who have £1500-£5000 and want the best value car they can get, its not always about being the cheapest i would rather spend £?? more on my target customer car than aim to be the cheapest all the time, thats a race to the bottom where i think no one wins. 

I lose count how many people i get in saying i am a few hundred more than the local guy working out of the back of the local car wash, i tell them all the same go see there car check there paperwork owners history and condition and then come see mine, i get say 6-10 back to buy happy with that ratio.

anyway enough for this year, heading home now have a safe new years eve what ever your plans

Cheers

Justin 

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Hi Justina

A few years ago,our guy would buy some similar quality older stuff for good money out of a PLC dealer section.They were never what they seemed and weren’t worth the bother money wise.One non sale day,he was at the auction and he catches a guy with a code reader working on the same dealers entries ! We complained and the auction totally  denied colluding with their vendor to misrepresent their entries......Happy new year everyone 

Funny you should say this! Picked up a 2008 TDCi Fiesta at BCA a few months ago, no warning lights, lovely little car! Drove through the exit gates, went into limp home mode, turns out 2 injectors failed ... I doubt they failed as I bought it! Only way I could get it out of limp home mode was to reset the EML! Again, bought it from a large dealer section with a rather fiery name! 

Currently sitting in my unit's office waiting for a customer that should have been here at 1! I'm leaving soon for a family meal, just desperate to sell a "lovely" Zafira that I got in as a PX! Hate the things I do! 

Edited by Mr T

20 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Funny you should say this! Picked up a 2008 TDCi Fiesta at BCA a few months ago, no warning lights, lovely little car! Drove through the exit gates, went into limp home mode, turns out 2 injectors failed ... I doubt they failed as I bought it! Only way I could get it out of limp home mode was to reset the EML! Again, bought it from a large dealer section with a rather fiery name! 

Currently sitting in my unit's office waiting for a customer that should have been here at 1! I'm leaving soon for a family meal, just desperate to sell a "lovely" Zafira that I got in as a PX! Hate the things I do! 

Main dealer with the firey name ? If it is the one I am thinking of,I thought it was common knowledge that they swapped parts off their auction stuff !

2 hours ago, justina3 said:

cheers guys its all good fun, this is my bread and butter target market people who have £1500-£5000 and want the best value car they can get, its not always about being the cheapest i would rather spend £?? more on my target customer car than aim to be the cheapest all the time, thats a race to the bottom where i think no one wins. 

I lose count how many people i get in saying i am a few hundred more than the local guy working out of the back of the local car wash, i tell them all the same go see there car check there paperwork owners history and condition and then come see mine, i get say 6-10 back to buy happy with that ratio.

anyway enough for this year, heading home now have a safe new years eve what ever your plans

Cheers

Justin 

Happy New Year !!

I usually listen to "The Greatest Day" by Take That on the way there and then "Still Havent Found What Im Looking For" by U2 on the way back....