jimreidvehicle

Is it just me who has problems with Vauxhall 6 speed gearboxes?

My gear box went yesterday on my vauxhall astra, Sri cdti.  Apparently I still have warranty with network Q according to doves vauxhall. 

They however called me back saying it will be at a cost of £4,000. (shocking). An assessor is going to take a look at the damage as they clearly dont want to pay it. The services guy said "as its a high cost", no shit sherlock! I told him it seems to be a common problem,  for which he said it wasnt, It's clear this is how doves vauxhall make their money. By ripping people off. I have been told by an independent person the barings have gone. Which can be purchased for around £60 odd at some places apparently. Clearly doves cant be bothered and they just want to replace the whole gear box, charging me an arm and a leg for it. 

Had I known this was a common problem I would never had bought the car. Shocked with how doves are trying to make up all excuses. I have done just under 60,000 miles and had it since Feb 2014.

Apparently a couple years or so back vauxhall were doing a recall on astra's as the gearbox's were going, fault of the manufacturer's. 

My advice would be to avoid vauxhall astra's and doves vauxhall. 

On 10/26/2016 at 1:10 PM, sweets said:

My gear box went yesterday on my vauxhall astra, Sri cdti.  Apparently I still have warranty with network Q according to doves vauxhall. 

They however called me back saying it will be at a cost of £4,000. (shocking). An assessor is going to take a look at the damage as they clearly dont want to pay it. The services guy said "as its a high cost", no shit sherlock! I told him it seems to be a common problem,  for which he said it wasnt, It's clear this is how doves vauxhall make their money. By ripping people off. I have been told by an independent person the barings have gone. Which can be purchased for around £60 odd at some places apparently. Clearly doves cant be bothered and they just want to replace the whole gear box, charging me an arm and a leg for it. 

Had I known this was a common problem I would never had bought the car. Shocked with how doves are trying to make up all excuses. I have done just under 60,000 miles and had it since Feb 2014.

Apparently a couple years or so back vauxhall were doing a recall on astra's as the gearbox's were going, fault of the manufacturer's. 

My advice would be to avoid vauxhall astra's and doves vauxhall. 

You must of bought it off a rogue dealer, we are all law abiding Dealers here. Our vehicles don't go wrong, And if they ever did and someone complained they would find a horse's Head in there bed, Which is standard practise, See Section 2.11 Of the Consumer Rights Act. (Well that's How I Read it anyway) 

Basicly pal, You have registered to the wrong Forum, You need Honest John 

On 29 October 2016 at 0:52 AM, betginge said:

Edited by James Baggott
This is not a forum for dirty laundry - take it up with your selling dealer

On 8/30/2016 at 7:15 PM, Steve said:

Hello Gavin, I've got a whining noise in 5 and 6 on my Primastar.. You mentioned a recon job for £150 somewhere.. I'm in Southampton, where is it exactly? And could I have the number?

Sorry Gavin I forgot to put on the alert to notify me if you respond, I've done it now.. Thanks

You're clearly mad, and need to use spell check.

*redacted*

Edited by James Baggott
This is not a forum for abuse and it won't be tolerated

6 hours ago, sweets said:

Ginger you need to relax yourself, keyboard warrior. You come on these forums to abuse people?  You gangster you!! Lol

He needs to use spell check? Says the one who uses capital "A" after a comma for "and" not forgetting the rest. Are you going mad at you're computer as I make mistakes? Lol would be funny watching you. Why don't you take you're "badass self" back to doves vauxhall. What a clown!!

Ok I will go along with your madness. Yes I work at Doves Vauxhall, I was the one who put sawdust in your gearbox as I am Badass. 

Paranoid Muppet 

Oh Just to let you know all my Vauxhall 6 speed Box vehicles on my pitch are Running Smoothly.

Cheer Up Sweets It's Only £4000 to fix  #Your_A_Winner!!!

Edited by betginge

Sweets.

motor dealers are not responsible for designing or manufacturing cars or deciding what materials to use in production, but whenever things go wrong it's always us who take the flak instead of the real culprit's, the manufacturers. Coming on here slagging us off collectively what does it really achieve? Yes it lets you vent off some steam and wind up a few genuine dealers. I would firstly approach Vauxhall to see if they can help, after all a network Q warranty is a Vauxhall product, if you don't get any joy then try watchdog.

Good luck with your problem, do keep us informed as we hate to see customers getting mistreated by rogue dealers in our industry and would love to stamp them out just as much as you.

Edited by Phil H
  • Like 1

Thanks Phil, I appreciate you're feedback and help. Unfortunately it is doves vauxhall who I have spoken to and trying to rip me off. Afterall it was them who I bought the car from and they were happy with me to go through them. The problem is too long to dicuss on a forum. Have just spoken to doves again today. I will be taking matters further. Thanks

This is not a forum for abusive language or bullying - it won't be tolerated. The offending comments have been removed and the user restricted from posting content unless it is approved first by us. 

On 23/02/2014 at 7:40 PM, jimreidvehicle said:

We opened our service /performance centre in April last year and in this time we have had to replace or recondition 8 Vauxhall 6 speed gearboxes! Some have been under our used car warranty some have been for vehicles part exchanged but as this seems to be quite a resent problem we have experiencing I would love to know if any one else experiencing the same problems?

Mostly but not restricted to Vauxhall Astra (07 to 09) however we have also had two Zafiras about the same age and last week a 10 plated new model Astra 1.4 Turbo Sri! So is it just me, or just Aberdeenshire drivers or is it a major built quality issue that Vauxhall really need to address?

your thoughts please. 

Iguu

On 24/02/2014 at 10:10 AM, Gavin@Rousdon said:

Welcome to the world of the Vauxhall M32 Gearbox !!!  Whinning in 5th and 6th gear and finally the bearing goes through the gearbox casing. I think its due to the bearing overheating but maybe wrong, we have rebuilt a few as one of our trade customers buys 'Non-Running' Vauxhalls (oh Joy!!) but now prefer to just fit a recon box. It can happen at any mileage but watch out for car around the 80k mark. Also fitted to the Astravan and Vivaro (plus Renault Traffic and Nissan Primastar). Be carefull if using second hand gearboxes as a fix as I believe the ratio's are different for cars and vans.

If anyone needs a recon M32 gearbox I use a company who are fantastic and slightly cheaper (about £150 ) then those who advertise on ebay and other sites.  Very professional outfit and highly recommended (mainly by word of mouth) here in the South West. Happy to pass on their number if anyone wants it.

Hello Gavin, 

i have picked up a decent little 1.3cdti astravan for a good price due to whiny gearbox knowing it was a replacement,  I’ve now done 10,000 since buying it and have decided it is time to change before it falls out. 

I came across this thread and noticed your message above. Could you please pass me on the company details as I will be buying a re con box for it.

Thanks Bill

31 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

For clarity.

Gavin is saying they are £150 cheaper than other repairs.

Not £150 to repair.

Thankyou David but I understand, it’s more the security of knowing they provide a good product/service rather than chancing it on eBay or what not. Also just found the information for the company in the thread too, not sure how I missed it.

thanks again 

Terrible gearbox. Wont touch them. The lower powered Insignia also has this box and has horrendous problems too. The 160bhp diesel however has a brilliant gearbox.

A & S Clutch Technology Halifax

Great service, knowledge and price

used them a few times

Edited by jace
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lastyboy said:

Terrible gearbox. Wont touch them. The lower powered Insignia also has this box and has horrendous problems too. The 160bhp diesel however has a brilliant gearbox.

Yes yes not a great reputation at all! They are cheap as chips though and I like the car/van thing so not bothered too much.

To clear things up you are just stating that the gearbox from the Vauxhall’s factory is terrible, not the company in Dorset that was mentioned in this thread? Are you also saying that about the larger gearbox because it can go in, surely not as the ratios will be all wrong for a 1.3??

thanks bill

4 minutes ago, jace said:

A & S Clutch Technology Halifax

Great service, knowledge and price

used them a few times

Thankyou Jace!

13 hours ago, Bill C said:

Yes yes not a great reputation at all! They are cheap as chips though and I like the car/van thing so not bothered too much.

To clear things up you are just stating that the gearbox from the Vauxhall’s factory is terrible, not the company in Dorset that was mentioned in this thread? Are you also saying that about the larger gearbox because it can go in, surely not as the ratios will be all wrong for a 1.3??

thanks bill

Thankyou Jace!

No I am saying the gearbox is terrible , not the chap who repairs them on here.

IVe had a couple of Insignia's with the bad gearbox and converted them including driveshafts etc to the better gearbox.

11 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

My Partners vauxhall Vivaro 15 plate van 6 speed gearbox has already given up.

Whine is unreal. 

From him or the van?

40 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

no problem, what,s your vat number ?:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: and £100 fee

Edited by Tony911

11 hours ago, Ali72 said:

evening all my 57reg zafira has m32 6 speed box started a wining noise in 3rd and 4th, got bottom plastic off lot of oil around gearbox.

To be honest, on a 57 plate. Don’t worry about it. Just make sure it’s got oil in the box and drive it until it either stops (very rarely) or sets on fire (quite regularly). 

On 6/16/2015 at 7:12 PM, Del said:

Hi

can anyone recommend where I can get a gearbox replaced on a 2008 zafira with 77k on it as it has all the hallmarks as described above with whining in 5 and 6 gears.

I would like to find a reliable fitter in the west London or Twickenham area. 

Also does anyone know what I am likely to pay for the work?

Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks

Del

My vxr nurbugring is whining in 1st and second when turning left and right it's going in tomorrow Warrington transmission is aprently a decent gearbox place and they have all the m32 parts in stock ready as well on website. 

Edited by Gavin David

1 hour ago, Gavin David said:

My vxr nurbugring is whining in 1st and second when turning left and right it's going in tomorrow Warrington transmission is aprently a decent gearbox place and they have all the m32 parts in stock ready as well on website. 

Just sell it to me for 4 grand and don’t do the box simples