Jimbo

PDI without mechanical knowledge

Wondered how you guys doing Pdi checks on cars manage it if not a mechanic/good around an engine and also dont have a garage on site?

home traders and small setups?

do you just do a new mot and have that as your peace of mind? The pdi forms from lawgistics look great but obviously have some detailed sections of it that you probably cant sign off without some basic mechanic knowledge

do you just take to your local mechanic to check it all off? 

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Wondered how you guys doing Pdi checks on cars manage it if not a mechanic/good around an engine and also dont have a garage on site?

home traders and small setups?

do you just do a new mot and have that as your peace of mind? The pdi forms from lawgistics look great but obviously have some detailed sections of it that you probably cant sign off without some basic mechanic knowledge

do you just take to your local mechanic to check it all off? 

We had this issue when we applied for the Hampshire Trading Standards 'Buy With Confidence Scheme'.

We didn't do PDI's and they told us it'd be a good idea in-case we are asked to prove that a car did not have a pre-existing fault at point of sale, to which we agreed, but I told them I wasn't a trained mechanic, so whilst happy to fill it in, didn't want to be fraudulently saying something's fine when I hadn't ligitimately checked it!

The answer was pretty much 'do as many checks as you can as it's better than nothing'. The road test sections will throw up a lot of items, but as you say, there's no substitute for getting it on the ramp to check Suspension/Brake items/leaks etc. Not comfortable with 'do as many checks as you can as it's better than nothing', we ended up MOT'ing pretty much all of our cars which allowed us to fill in the convenience items ourselves (leccy windows etc) and the MOT would allow us to complete the majority of the other stuff, having said that, there is still some obscure items on there such as 'pressure test radiator cap' amongst others, we simply mark 'nc' not checked on these items. Not ideal, as this may raise questions in itself but I guess the only option here is to create a custom PDI form, maybe a simple one in the format of main dealers vehicle health checks? Can anyone recommend a custom print shop who can offer this and one they use?

anyway, we now have a mechanic that carries out PDI's on all of our cars, in addition to a new MOT if it has less than 6 months remaining.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed reply. 

Yes that was my point on the more teccy stuff of the pdi forms

does anyone have any basic or custom pdi forms they can share? I think its great to have some kind of pdi to go with a sale 

I am not a qualified mechanic but often end up pointing someone who is meant to be qualified in the right direction, qualifications in my view are extremely over rated.

Im not a qualified mechanic but I do a lot of my own servicing, oil changes, disc and pads, etc so I'm confident enough to fill out the majority of lawgistics pdi form and the MOT test does the rest including emissions checks. 

Get a good garage to PDI everything , even if it's just been serviced elswhere . You're looking at half hour labour to cover your arse , best £20 you'll spend in my view . Agree also MOT anything with less than 6m remaining .

57 minutes ago, Anglo9 said:

. You're looking at half hour labour to cover your arse , best £20 you'll spend in my view .

:o

Whereabouts in the UK are you Anglo9?

Problem with all of this stuff is you can do the best PDI checks in the world that we know are correct.

We can get the car independently MOT tested and PDI checked by experienced staff.

If the car is on finance none of this counts and you end up having to refund anyway. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Problem with all of this stuff is you can do the best PDI checks in the world that we know are correct.

We can get the car independently MOT tested and PDI checked by experienced staff.

If the car is on finance none of this counts and you end up having to refund anyway. 

Rory, nearly all of mine are freshly mot'd and separately PDI'd by another garage, I use the MOT and PDI as part of the video to sell the car :)

On 03/12/2017 at 7:45 PM, justina3 said:

Barginvile bu the sounds of it 

Ha , ok you got me....it's plus vat !

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Rory, nearly all of mine are freshly mot'd and separately PDI'd by another garage, I use the MOT and PDI as part of the video to sell the car :)

You can spend all of your ‘spare’ time PDIing, filling out forms, etc. but if you’ve sold to a twisty twat wanting a few shillings then you’ll have to deal with him no matter what.

In the highly unlikely event someone actually takes you to court PDI forms may help, although I suspect they’d cut little ice with a judge, but in all other scenarios it boils down to whether or not YOU intent helping the customer. 

Personally I believe the costs of paying for independent PDIs etc. is easily outweighed by the financial savings for a couple of comebacks a year.

I get most stock MOT’d so it’s to a safe roadworthy standard. Those of you who are constantly firefighting one complaint after another perhaps need to look at your prep standards or the promises you are making to customers in order to get the deal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BHM said:

You can spend all of your ‘spare’ time PDIing, filling out forms, etc. but if you’ve sold to a twisty twat wanting a few shillings then you’ll have to deal with him no matter what.

In the highly unlikely event someone actually takes you to court PDI forms may help, although I suspect they’d cut little ice with a judge, but in all other scenarios it boils down to whether or not YOU intent helping the customer. 

Personally I believe the costs of paying for independent PDIs etc. is easily outweighed by the financial savings for a couple of comebacks a year.

I get most stock MOT’d so it’s to a safe roadworthy standard. Those of you who are constantly firefighting one complaint after another perhaps need to look at your prep standards or the promises you are making to customers in order to get the deal.

I have a finance company wanting me to back a car because of a bit of laqueer peel, and the fact the exhaust is not brand new. 

MY PDI and independent MOT show the car is fine. Does not carry any weight where a finance co are involved.

this is why i dont bother the world is nuts, its almost as nuts for the finance company to suggest a return due to the exhaust not being new.

Do as what the advice was given by your local Trading Standards.  They are not all scary beasts, take on board what they tell you and ask for any confirmation should you get confused.  Most (touch wood) I've dealt with are very very helpful.

Do things YOU can do...

Surely by getting into this industry you know roughly what sounds right / wrong?  Here's what I would do if I didn't have any mechanics.

Engine Noise?
Turbo Noise?
Steering Noise?
Brake Noise?
Leaks?
Water / Oil Mixture?
Lubricant Levels?
Overall Exterior Condition?
Overall Interior Condition?
Any Lights On Dash?
End with any overall notes on a 5 mile drive

Back in the startup days I still sold over 100 vehicles per year so my judgement or experience could never be shone upon.

There is no exact cover method for when you get an absolute turnip of a customer though, who simply refuses to believe there is nothing wrong with their car due to them either not liking it, didn't realize the cost of it, or is just an absolute lemon that is just kicking up a fuss for money off or a freebie

9 hours ago, BHM said:

Since using lawgistics PDI's I have added it into my vids to enhance the sale of the car, it also makes you sleep a little easier knowing you've covered yourself. Mr customer has signed on collection stating they've inspected the car and everything works at the point of sale.

However, I agree with you BHM on Bangers,  I don't bother its more important to have chosen the right sensible buyer.