Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo

Selling to a buyer without a viewing??

What are your views?

Client called and lives around 160 miles from us. Said they really like the car and full and frank description for their wife but may not be able to come down to buy it. 

Asked if we would be happy for them to send a recovery truck or transporter to collet for them if we can agree a price. 

They’d pay by bank transfer in advance. 

I said id much prefer they viewing and drove the car first but appreciate thats not always possible. 

What are your views? What would you do?

Ive done this lots and lots of times. If your confident in what your selling and have given an honest description of bodywork and service record then why is it a problem? I email all paperwork invoices etc to sign and get them to send it back signed. It all comes down to how confident you are in the car your supplying

• Like 1

As long as you realise that this will come under the distance selling regulations so they can reject up to 7 days & be entitled to a full refund and you, the seller, collects at your cost.

I used to do it and never had a hitch BUT the way things are now with unrealistic punters I’ve stopped doing it.

Thanks guys. Being nov and fairly quiet i am keen to sell it but im really not sure if its going to end up more aggro. 

Not sure how they can sign reciept and log book?

Im not a fan of selling without a viewing that's not that i don't have any confidence in what I would be selling... Its just prople are fecking wierd.

Do loads like this and never had a problem. Most of the customers are just trusting and moving with modern times. The better our pics have got, the videos and the reviews the more we have sold remotely.

There was one time when Tom went to deliver an MX5 to a family in London who were horrified when it turned up. They expected it to have 4 seats. He thought they were joking at first......They were dead serious and adamant they had seen 4 seater versions on Autotrader :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

I delivered one like this yesterday, with today's technology partial viewings can be completed via Facetime. I always ask for full payment in advance.

The most important things are HONESTY and having a good nose for trouble so if it has a mark or two tell them and if they ask whether they can buy it over the phone and they sound like trouble say you'd prefer them to come and see it. I only sell over the phone to probably 1 in 3 people that ask.

• Like 1

For some reason my gut says no so im gonna refuse the offer. Too much hassle potential and on a car which im sure there are loads of closer to his home too anyway. Just want a quiet life :)

16 hours ago, LOVECARS said:

Ive done this lots and lots of times. If your confident in what your selling and have given an honest description of bodywork and service record then why is it a problem? I email all paperwork invoices etc to sign and get them to send it back signed. It all comes down to how confident you are in the car your supplying

This is bang on, I always look at it this way and if you have any reservations on any marks, how it drives etc then disclose everything beforehand, even take a video and send to the customer perhaps. The last thing you need is for the car to get there and them to say they don't want it, complete waste of your time then and you end up having to readvertise it.

Not for me. We're knocking out boring standard stuff though and aren't cheap enough to warrant a distance purchase. 

Did a few in the past and it was always because the car was rare but the cheapest for miles. Hassle every time selling to unrealistic "buyers". If the buyer is serious then they'll turn up to view it...if they can't find the time to view a car then they're not serious IMO.

320 mile round journey for a car with around £250 profit left in it. No way :)

my adverts are always very honest and overly highlight every little negative i can find. Most people turn up and are pleasantly suprised at the condition which is a bonus

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

320 mile round journey for a car with around £250 profit left in it. No way :)

Distance selling a car for £250 profit...no offence Jimbo but that sounds mental. Good luck but i'd be thinking about more than just this deal if you're sticking a couple of hundred in each unit and still having to sell to people miles away.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

can you not deliver it yourself?

Even if he could it’s still a distance purchase unless he wants to take a chance and not take payment until he’s there. And anyone who’s stupid enough to do that then good luck to them :lol:

2 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Distance selling a car for £250 profit...no offence Jimbo but that sounds mental. Good luck but i'd be thinking about more than just this deal if you're sticking a couple of hundred in each unit and still having to sell to people miles away.

I’d of been happy with £250 rather than the small £60 blow on one of mine this week!

There are a lot of people in this game making out they’re making thousands on every single deal - most are talking out of their arses.

23 minutes ago, BHM said:

Even if he could it’s still a distance purchase unless he wants to take a chance and not take payment until he’s there. And anyone who’s stupid enough to do that then good luck to them :lol:

I’d of been happy with £250 rather than the small £60 blow on one of mine this week!

There are a lot of people in this game making out they’re making thousands on every single deal - most are talking out of their arses.

Putting a £250 in a car and happy? Hopefully it's not boasting if I say I find that idea completely insane, even a home trader would want more than £200 in a car. No one is making £1000's out of units anymore but there are still sensible lumps in cars, or at least there should be for considering the risk & liability they are.

14 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Putting a £250 in a car and happy? Hopefully it's not boasting if I say I find that idea completely insane, even a home trader would want more than £200 in a car. No one is making £1000's out of units anymore but there are still sensible lumps in cars, or at least there should be for considering the risk & liability they are.

indeed

and to even consider sending it to uncharted waters where anything can happen is a recipe for a headache, ok if its a limited edition model with pink frillies then it might be the only buyer in the country for it but in that case dont buy it in the first place unless the profit is huge and you have the time and space to keep looking at the THING

ive always picked up from my nearest town and have a high success rate but iF they cant meet me half way then im a black eyed pee

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, s and b said:

indeed

and to even consider sending it to uncharted waters where anything can happen is a recipe for a headache, ok if its a limited edition model with pink frillies then it might be the only buyer in the country for it but in that case dont buy it in the first place unless the profit is huge and you have the time and space to keep looking at the THING

ive always picked up from my nearest town and have a high success rate but iF they cant meet me half way then im a black eyed pee

+1 however I would say that if it's super rare they WILL come to you if they're serious. Remember you have what they want...I don't know why you would mess with that dynamic and put all of the power in the buyers shoes so they can chip you even further when you turn up and they find one stone chip on a ten year old car and you are faced with a long fruitless trip home if you don't discount.

Some buyers will do ridiculous stuff to get a discount and do it in your face...travelling distance with an unseen car and expecting it to all go swimmingly is naive beyond belief IMO. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grant8064 said:

No offence taken mate. 

Although i didnt say my business model is to make £250 per car :)

this just so happens to be a car ive had a few weeks and would rather get some cash back on it during such a crap quiet month 

Spin it round, if you saw something really tasty, low mileage or classic minter, you would find the time / make the effort to travel and at least leave a depo, and arrange collection later, if its something standard and boring you could find it in your locality. So no, let them make theeffort, by all means stay open a bit longer, or pick em up from station, but in this job you bend too far over and they stick it right up you ! 

and we dont like it up em :unsure:Image result for dads army they dont like it up em

• Like 1

Buyer collects has always been my MO. They have to confirm on collection it drives, looks and is completely “as described”. That also have to sign the PDI and purchase invoice in person. Otherwise you just leave yourself completely vulnerable.

The only vehicles I allow to leave me on a trailor are scrap. Simple....

• Like 2

People complain they are not busy, its quiet etc and then find reasons not to sell people cars? :huh:

Whats all that about?