Sign in to follow this  
jsr

Auto trader Advert Advice

Hi Guys,

I posted a few months back about setting up trading I'm still do this most likely next year now (delays work arrangements & with a house purchase fall through no thanks to estate agents people think motor traders are sharks) 

Until then I want to get rid of my own personal car rather have the money in the bank, I've brought a cheap run around.

I've had it advertised on Auto trader for 2 weeks now getting the hits but no calls I would appreciate some feedback on the add (be as critical as you want no offense taken) 

I've priced it up correctly originally it was at £7495. I think the slow response may be down to it being a manual? any advice would be great. 

Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.1 C200 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 4dr

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711010854349?make=MERCEDES-BENZ%26model=C%20CLASS%26utm_source=Email_a_Friend%26utm_medium=Email%26utm_campaign=Email_a_friend_car

Thanks 

Hi JSR,

I doubt the fact that it's manual is having much effect. If it was a bigger barge (E or S Class then I think it'd be more of an issue). Photo's look pretty reasonable in my opinion. You've written the description similar to how a dealer would write one. Remember that the person buying your car probably specifically doesn't want to buy from a dealer, therefore I reckon the description could benefit from more gushing text about the way you've loved and maintained it during your ownership. 

How have you priced it? I usually search 60 miles and take an average of similar models. Make sure it's similar to those vehicles and it will sell. More than likely just a waiting game - 2 weeks isn't a huge amount of time for a car to be advertised and to not have sold.

I'm relatively new to this game, so just my two pennith worth :)

Hi JSR

The advert looks fine. Photos are all good. Its just the toughest time of the year. November and December are the toughest two months of the trading year.

ps. Id be inclined to £6995 it if it were mine.

Good luck

With all due respect you're asking for £7k of someone's money... surely it warrants a bit more of a description?

Also, two weeks is nothing. Get used to this feeling; if you're setting up trading this is what it's like...

The money looks right but rather you than me with that - the sort of German car buyers looking at that sort of car at that price range won’t have that sort of money. Basically most haven’t got a pot to piss in & are hard work anyway.

2 weeks is nowt for a car - get used to waiting and if you’re going to deal in that sort of stock you will get used to waiting!

2 hours ago, jsr said:

Hi Guys,

I posted a few months back about setting up trading I'm still do this most likely next year now (delays work arrangements & with a house purchase fall through no thanks to estate agents people think motor traders are sharks) 

Until then I want to get rid of my own personal car rather have the money in the bank, I've brought a cheap run around.

I've had it advertised on Auto trader for 2 weeks now getting the hits but no calls I would appreciate some feedback on the add (be as critical as you want no offense taken) 

I've priced it up correctly originally it was at £7495. I think the slow response may be down to it being a manual? any advice would be great. 

Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.1 C200 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 4dr

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711010854349?make=MERCEDES-BENZ%26model=C%20CLASS%26utm_source=Email_a_Friend%26utm_medium=Email%26utm_campaign=Email_a_friend_car

Thanks 

Absolutely right, it’s a saloon manual with half leather,very hard to sell. Also, its overpriced for a private sale. Retail is 8k, you should be looking for £6750ono

Looks a straight one,it would walk out at £6999 from a pitch up north.However with the Budget coming up and with a lot of negative diesel stuff in the media  you may have to sit on it for a while or until you can do swappers,warranties and finance etc. from your own website.

No disrespect but 2 weeks on Autotrader and your worried and cutting price, that's the sort of thing a private would do, when you have spent £100,s advertising it on Autotrader and still not sold it is time reality hits home that we aren't all having it off, the big negative with your car is the manual gearbox, only one in 8 merc c class,s for sale are manual, reason being the stupid hand/footbrake, I have bought/sold many Mercs and sold them well but always keep away from manuals.

20 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

No disrespect but 2 weeks on Autotrader and your worried and cutting price, that's the sort of thing a private would do, when you have spent £100,s advertising it on Autotrader and still not sold it is time reality hits home that we aren't all having it off, the big negative with your car is the manual gearbox, only one in 8 merc c class,s for sale are manual, reason being the stupid hand/footbrake, I have bought/sold many Mercs and sold them well but always keep away from manuals.

I agreed 100%. The manuals are as desirable as a wart on your thomas, they sit around the auctions for weeks and weeks, unsold unsold unsold until finally given away well under book....

48 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I agreed 100%. The manuals are as desirable as a wart on your thomas, they sit around the auctions for weeks and weeks, unsold unsold unsold until finally given away well under book....

Or Until I come along without looking properly and make a list minute bid on a well under cap clean lovely C Class AMG sport + model grade1 and then find out its a bloody manual.....:lol::lol:

Took ages to shift that one. 

Hi Guys

Just keep slagging off Merc manuals,more the better for us.It has never been a better time for a punter to trade up to a late plate Merc to impress the neighbours.Horses for courses etc,our guys usually have about half a dozen late Merc manuals in stock at most times.Alternativeley as long as I can remember,southern traders have come up north to buy all sorts of autos which do not sell at all up here !

1 minute ago, Rory RSC said:

Or Until I come along without looking properly and make a list minute bid on a well under cap clean lovely C Class AMG sport + model grade1 and then find out its a bloody manual.....:lol::lol:

We’ve all been there....I ince bought an Auris by mistake, thought I was bidding on a S Type....I point blank refused it was down to me..... then they showed me the video.... I made some sincere apologies that day.... lesson learnt don’t bid outside the hall whilst chatting. The auctioneer ran me up aswell £600 over CC but I thought I’d bought a cheep Jag... 

I can beat that .. I once bought a caravan at leeds ,, I thought I was buying the car in the room a focus I think it was, lost £200 on the caravan as well  haha

35 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

thats because I didn't appraise mate

23 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

We’ve all been there....I ince bought an Auris by mistake, thought I was bidding on a S Type....I point blank refused it was down to me..... then they showed me the video.... I made some sincere apologies that day.... lesson learnt don’t bid outside the hall whilst chatting. The auctioneer ran me up aswell £600 over CC but I thought I’d bought a cheep Jag... 

That's wonderful Arfur....of course I am guilty as well.    BCA manager pulls me to one side,he says we have a problem can you bid on this Sierra ,Cavalier or something,don't worry you won't buy it.Anyway,I am in front of the rostrum chatting bullshit to the guys,the way you do.The car comes through,so I start making animated bids and the auctioneer says at least twice 'are you sure' etc which I ignore.He then boshes it out to me.......you are right,I bought the wrong car and I had to stand on.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but way back in the nineties when I was a newbie I went to the block and bought a lovely c class for 6k. That was one of many Mercs I've had over the years and by God it was the hardest to shift because it was a manual. 

The phone was melting but first question every time was,Is it auto? I always make sure the bigger stuff I buy now are auto and I have done very well with them and they have never hung around.

I eventually got rid after 4 months of advertising and promised myself I would never buy another manual Merc.

Hi jsr,

Pictures are fine.  

Replace the centre caps, we do this on all our mercs. They are about 25 quid for 4 off ebay if you buy 10 sets or 37 quid per set.  It's one of the most common and annoying things of the mercs as they ALWAYS need replacing or they stand out like an eskimo on a giraffe.

Manual / Auto - Quite surprising the times I've heard dealers moan about accidentally buying a manual mercedes.  BUT, just a little teaser, the right ones are actually very good sellers. 

2 weeks?  I'd say our average turn around on that car is between 50-70 days (35-55 if auto), with a decent margin of course, so you're well in the green turn around time.

Price?  If it were us we'd go with 7400-7500 but we warrant, service and mot the car for that.  I'd imagine you'd have similar prices from dealers like that on AutoTrader.  As others have mentioned you're pricing yourself on dealer prices, I'd be inclined to agree and say a few pound off £7k.

Hope that helps, good luck 

1 hour ago, Earunder said:

Hi jsr,

Pictures are fine.  

Replace the centre caps, we do this on all our mercs. They are about 25 quid for 4 off ebay if you buy 10 sets or 37 quid per set.  It's one of the most common and annoying things of the mercs as they ALWAYS need replacing or they stand out like an eskimo on a giraffe.

Manual / Auto - Quite surprising the times I've heard dealers moan about accidentally buying a manual mercedes.  BUT, just a little teaser, the right ones are actually very good sellers. 

2 weeks?  I'd say our average turn around on that car is between 50-70 days (35-55 if auto), with a decent margin of course, so you're well in the green turn around time.

Price?  If it were us we'd go with 7400-7500 but we warrant, service and mot the car for that.  I'd imagine you'd have similar prices from dealers like that on AutoTrader.  As others have mentioned you're pricing yourself on dealer prices, I'd be inclined to agree and say a few pound off £7k.

Hope that helps, good luck 

Hi Earunder, JSR is adverting on AT as a private seller.......... :)

Hi Guys 

Thank you all for your feedback very much appreciated. 

I wanted to keep the add sweet and simple hoping they would call for more info however I've since added to the description  pride and joy sort of stuff.

You guys have confirmed my initial thoughts about it being a gearbox stigma. I just hope it appeals to the younger market mid 20s first Mercedes type so they may not be too fused. Price wise I'm going keep as it is now maybe lower it to £6995 at a push I'm just going to have to play the waiting game. 

On 11/12/2017 at 2:03 PM, trade vet said:

Looks a straight one,it would walk out at £6999 from a pitch up north.However with the Budget coming up and with a lot of negative diesel stuff in the media  you may have to sit on it for a while or until you can do swappers,warranties and finance etc. from your own website.

This a option I'm considering. 

Thanks 

JSR, you are a Private Seller, there isn't a market of 20 year old buyers wanting a basic C Class manual. These cars were all sold to aspiring company car users who want the Merc badge & the cheapest possible option on their drive. On the "used" Merc market buyers want top spec and they certainly don't want a manual...

And I bet you bought it because it was cheap.......

No offense intended

Nicer manual gearbox in these W204 C Class than in the equivalent BMW 3 Series in my opinion.

Much nicer to drive too.

Autotrader is is set up in such a way that every car sells eventually-AT A PRICE. 

I would gradually reduce it until the phone rings. When it does start to ring, your on the money!

The longer you wait the longer before you have your money- and for those in the trade the longer before you can reinvest and earn some more. 

Cars,in winter especially,seem to “break” the longer that are not used as well, so don’t like leaving cars sat around. Plus December coming- lots of cheap cars to buy while dealer bail out because they are “overstocked”. 

Just my opinion.