Sign in to follow this  
D1991

Wich car makes do you avoid ?

Generally I stayed away from French cars got burned on two pugs when I first started 

1 hour ago, D1991 said:

Generally I stayed away from French cars got burned on two pugs when I first started 

..... but Clio's and Scenics are hugely popular. Not everyone wants a 5-8yr old German performance saloon

Alfa romeo's, lovely cars but just give grief. We have a 09 plate mito in the workshop now which is mainly based on a punto and it still giving us grief.

Some people hate vauxhalls which I admit do go wrong a lot but the issues are so common they are straightforward to fix. parts are cheap and plentiful

French cars are a pain, I will not buy 308, will buy 207, new shape megan is a decent car, scenic pre 2009 was a dog.

Renault, Alfa, Fiat (Fix It Again Tomorrow), LandRover (Expensive Parts and generally unreliable).

I'd say Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, etc will cause you the least amount of hassle! 

Ford and Vauxhall always popular, and cheap to repair.

Good Luck

Mazda diesels have always given us issues. Vauxhalls are least reliable for us at the moment but do sell well. Honda Toyota most reliable by far. 

I've had two Kia's both been dogs pre 2009 both picanto , what about transmissions ? 90% of the cars I have sold have been automatics 

Edited by D1991

I have zero love for Vauxhalls at the moment. I had to put an engine in a 46k mile Astra not so long back. And i have a terminal 43k mile corsa at the moment. And a sticky 2011 Astra Sri cdti... Not one call in 9 weeks.

• Like 1

I try to stay away from anything but Alfa's :) 

I like BMW's and I,m always tempted, but then I remember that I,ve never made a decent profit on one....

Corsa D for me cant remember the last one i sold that didnt have the paper head gasket go pop, watching the prices they bring in the block these days i think lots of other people have the same problems as there selling for pennies.

I have no problem with French the nicole advert seen to that, I wonder how many of the younger folk would have missed those adverts arghh papa 

anything with the PSA/Mini 1.6 engine, drinks oil quicker then petrol. According to BMW, upto 1ltr per 1000 miles is acceptable. Try telling that to a punter

Never had much luck with Renaults and electrics, and Landrover disco's, must be the most unreliable cars we see 

Also avoid Toyota Rav 4's, especially with the run flats that only toyota can remove

Edited by CJ Underhill

Discoverys.  Everyday you discover something else wrong with them.

• Like 1

Definitely never having another Mini. I think we've sold one or two that have not come back. Had my biggest ever lost on a privately sourced Cooper S 2 months ago and thats the final straw. It drove okay too. Ended up needed chain and turbo as well as oil filter housing leaking. 

308's

Any diesel vauxhall unless I can thoroughly test it first.

Minis are a no no for me, too...last one that went kept me awake for three months until the warranty expired...

I buy very very carefully but have yet to find a brand that never causes surprise issues. French, German, Japanese, Korean...all as bad as each other.

As for avoid? None of them if they have enough money in them, have decent history, not a suspiciously high number of owners and aren't a weird spec making them book too high compared to others.

I'm not a fan of CMaxs, Mazdas, Jags, diesel BMWs or diesel Sportages but that's more from bad experiences than any greater knowledge.

I prefer to avoid Chinese and Soviet cars. Because these cars are really creepy. When I tried to ried one Chinese car it engine stalled after I pressed the "Play" button on sound system. After that I tried to start the car for almost 1 hour

Anything diesel.

We've only ever bought 1 good diesel car - a Cat C 2003 MG ZR with 144k and no service history.

Everything else we've ever bought that is diesel has not been right no matter what - old/new, high/low miles, full/little history.

:blink:

On 9/27/2017 at 5:39 PM, D&M said:

Anything diesel.

We've only ever bought 1 good diesel car - a Cat C 2003 MG ZR with 144k and no service history.

Everything else we've ever bought that is diesel has not been right no matter what - old/new, high/low miles, full/little history.

:blink:

Strange you say that I do superbly out of diesels but then I am in a rural location

In some ways I am quite lucky because as well as car sales  we run an MOT station and a service bay. I get to see customers cars go wrong and then decide that I would probably not buy one. So with that in mind , i avoid the following:

Any car with the 1.9 tdi Fiat engine- so Astra, Vectra, Alfa and Fiat. Fed up with gearboxes, inlet manifolds, flywheels, egr valves, etc.

Normally anything Land Rover although they do sell very well.

Anything with the 1.6 Prince engine so newer Mini's and Peugeot 207 , 307 1.6 VTi.

Anything random like Protons, SSangyong, etc.

On 10/8/2017 at 9:53 PM, lastyboy said:

Strange you say that I do superbly out of diesels but then I am in a rural location

In some ways I am quite lucky because as well as car sales  we run an MOT station and a service bay. I get to see customers cars go wrong and then decide that I would probably not buy one. So with that in mind , i avoid the following:

Any car with the 1.9 tdi Fiat engine- so Astra, Vectra, Alfa and Fiat. Fed up with gearboxes, inlet manifolds, flywheels, egr valves, etc.

Normally anything Land Rover although they do sell very well.

Anything with the 1.6 Prince engine so newer Mini's and Peugeot 207 , 307 1.6 VTi.

Anything random like Protons, SSangyong, etc.

We are quite rural too, but so far have not found that any diesel car that we do get in has any more interest than a similar petrol car.

Been finding recently that bigger petrol engines are selling well.

On 10/19/2017 at 0:36 PM, D&M said:

We are quite rural too, but so far have not found that any diesel car that we do get in has any more interest than a similar petrol car.

Been finding recently that bigger petrol engines are selling well.

Im still selling diesel well. Over the past 3 days I have sold a 2009 Audi A3 tdi Sport, Subaru Boxer Diesel on a 59, 09 X-Trail 2.0 DCi as well as a couple of petrols.

• Like 1

I avoid Vauxhall and Alfa but that's about it.

The key is to have enough margin to allow for rework - all the cars we sell are used, they will break unless you're lucky.  Keep plenty in the deal (or just wait it out for the right punter) and be prepared to use some of your bigger margin to fix the things.

I ensure you to stay away from Russian cars, only buy anything as car collector, I mean rarity cars, like this on the photo below:

QaGQe7D.png