Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

SOR commission?

I sold a car to a chap a few months ago, who, due to a change in circumstances, has decided to sell the car and asked what I would offer him. Not wanting to kick him in the balls, I swerved the question and suggested I sold it for him on a SOR basis. 

He seems quite keen, and has asked the inevitable question, how much would I charge to sell it. I've done this a couple of times in the past, but never sure what the best option is, so interested what you normally do in these situations?

For example take 10% of the sale price?

Agree a set amount, I.e £500?

Or agree a figure he wants, then keep what ever I get over and above?

It depends on what the car is and how quickly he wants his money. He might take bottom book if its not sold after a month?

Just now, metcars said:

It depends on what the car is and how quickly he wants his money. He might take bottom book if its not sold after a month?

It's a really low mileage 55 plate Toyora Celica, Full Toyota History. 

We replaced the water pump under warranty, so I'm confident in the car mechanically, and think it will sell well. But I suspect he's happy to wait to get the right money for it. 

It's trying to work out which is the best option, to be fair to him, but also make it worth my while....

4 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

It's a really low mileage 55 plate Toyora Celica, Full Toyota History. 

We replaced the water pump under warranty, so I'm confident in the car mechanically, and think it will sell well. But I suspect he's happy to wait to get the right money for it. 

It's trying to work out which is the best option, to be fair to him, but also make it worth my while....

Look at it this way, he has your expertise in preparing the car, advertising, dealing with customers, test drives, paperwork and all he has to do is wait for the cheque. The thing is, is he 'really' expecting you to effectively give him his money back? But it sounds like 'he' has to decide how much he wants for it?

1 minute ago, metcars said:

Look at it this way, he has your expertise in preparing the car, advertising, dealing with customers, test drives, paperwork and all he has to do is wait for the cheque. The thing is, is he 'really' expecting you to effectively give him his money back? But it sounds like 'he' has to decide how much he wants for it?

Yeah fair comment, think I'll go back to him and ask what figure he wants and go for from there. Although, from experience he will probably just say, as much as possible...! :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Yeah fair comment, think I'll go back to him and ask what figure he wants and go for from there. Although, from experience he will probably just say, as much as possible...! :rolleyes:

But, the car now has another owner and more miles and is another year older (2017)? So its not going to make its original selling price. If he wants top money, "you" will have to work hard to get it. I appreciate you don't want to beat him up but business is business

Edited by metcars

Just now, metcars said:

But, the car now has another owner and more miles and is another year older (2017)? So its not going to make its original selling price. If he wants top money, "you" will have to work hard to get it

Yeah completely agree. I have sewn the seed, as when I sold it to him, it was a "1 lady owner from new car". So I told him it has lost some of that appeal. Also, I need to over come the fact that the last owner hasn't had the car long, which could some may be suspicious about. 

My problem is I always feel obliged to try and help them out a bit.... He's also a really decent and genuine chap, he's local, so want to try and keep him sweet, without stitching myself up in the process.

18 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Yeah completely agree. I have sewn the seed, as when I sold it to him, it was a "1 lady owner from new car". So I told him it has lost some of that appeal. Also, I need to over come the fact that the last owner hasn't had the car long, which could some may be suspicious about. 

My problem is I always feel obliged to try and help them out a bit.... He's also a really decent and genuine chap, he's local, so want to try and keep him sweet, without stitching myself up in the process.

Yeah, I understand that. But it will be easier if you can thrash out a realistic price 'and' a timescale that suits both of you;)

Does he expect you to carry the warranty as well say the engine or gear box goes pop two months down the line who foots the entire bill for that ? 

As you sold it the buck will stop with you. 

I hate these kind of deals never done me any good in the past.

3 hours ago, justina3 said:

Does he expect you to carry the warranty as well say the engine or gear box goes pop two months down the line who foots the entire bill for that ? 

As you sold it the buck will stop with you. 

I hate these kind of deals never done me any good in the past.

If I was to sell the car, I would fully expect to warrant it, again, hence it needs to be viable.

I had this recently with a Mitsubishi Shogun and politely declined as it's not my niche market, but had previously taken it in as a PX which is how he ended up with it. The compromise was I re-valued it for him, so he realistically knew what to ask, provided a HPI report and fresh MOT for him to include with the sale, (at cost) and helped him with the wording.

It sold the very next weekend for full asking price, so I was quite pleased that it went quickly and I've still got a future customer on-side, so win-win.

i wont do sor

i either say ive spent my budget or i have already a very similar car so thanks for the offer but at the moment i can only offer advice as to where to sell it to you 

or if you know its a good car and can bring it back to retail and be prepared to obviously warrant it and pay for the parking its taking up offer a price thats happy to everyone

they can only say no

if you want a business partner get one,dont have a customer ringing you up asking how its going because they will

If you SOR a car for a private customer OR another trader the CRA15 rules DO NOT APPLY!

On 1/3/2017 at 10:19 AM, TDB said:

If you SOR a car for a private customer OR another trader the CRA15 rules DO NOT APPLY!

tell that to the buyer when car comes back in 3.99 weeks with a problem and see where it gets you in the bigger picture:)

Yes I know that ... I was just saying that that is the law.

Not worth the hassle in my opinion. If they want to sell it and it's the right money i'll buy it direct and retail it myself.

Whatever the law says if the car is a wrong-un I know i'll be footing any bills and it's my reputation on the line so I want the same margin in the car as I would from something from the block. If they're happy to take trade money for it then it's simpler to just buy it outright and save the daily phonecalls from the owner asking how it's doing.

If they don't want trade money then they need to be selling it themselves privately and taking all the risks and time associated with that. 

• Like 1

How did Metcars like that ^^^^ post!!?? He's stolen our buttons!!!! :P

• Like 1

Odd one or two if the customer is very realistic and most of the time I've know them or know them well- but generally prefer it cut and dried - I buy or not - makes life much easier.

pretty sure it would apply if you're selling  a car from a business premises. I dont ever do SOR. 

I've also been informed that if it's an SOR car then the CRA2015 doesn't apply as you're acting as an agent not the seller, the business doesn't actually own it at the point of sale but you must inform the buyer of this and clearly document it on the invoice accompanied by the buyers signature. Not worth the hassle unless you've got loads of empty space or have a very decent margin in it. 

Its on Lawgistics site......will try and find the link.......I cant find it......it was under the heading something like this....."You heard it here first!".

Its taken me hours but I found it!....Heres the link....