Rory RSC

Caralot

Seen Caralot look to have closed on the main page.

Gutted for then don't know them personally but really liked the set up and social media content. 

Certainly a business that has given me inspiration at times. Tough old game that we are all in.

Very surprising and sad to see, looking from the outside they looked to be doing everything right, great social media presence and marketing campaigns.

I think the owner said they did too much too soon, maybe they overextended themselves.

Suppose its like a domino effect once you get that big with that much staff and stock. A few bad months and it all starts to pile up.

2 hours ago, M.J said:

Very surprising and sad to see, looking from the outside they looked to be doing everything right, great social media presence and marketing campaigns.

I think the owner said they did too much too soon, maybe they overextended themselves.

Suppose its like a domino effect once you get that big with that much staff and stock. A few bad months and it all starts to pile up.

Absolutely. I suppose it also shows the dangers of partnerships which more often than not, fail rather than succeed.

The lads seem to be full of energy so I'm sure they will be ok, I wish them well for the future.

The risk of becoming to big to soon, There is a lot to be said of having a small site that's busy with low overheads. We all think lets get a big site and expand but it can back fire. Shame Caralot Have gone bump but just shows the risk of businesses in the 1st 2 years, so many go bust.

I heard rumblings a few weeks ago through the grapevine.

Also, disappointingly,  some other well known local garages taking pleasure in their demise, and airing this on social media which I find distasteful, as we are all in this game to get by, yes we are all essentially competitors, but theres enough business for all of us and no one wants to see people out of work, businesses folding etc...

Like many more before and i'm sure many more after, I guess they'll dust themselves off, have a week of sitting around thinking 'what next?' and then do it all over again, its like a drug this industry.... i'm hooked! but taking it slowly. I have dreams of a 200 car empire, but slowly slowly...

Onwards and upwards i'm off for a brew..

Idiots writing the replies to the local rags story.....typical UK customers!

1 hour ago, Mat C said:

I heard rumblings a few weeks ago through the grapevine.

Also, disappointingly,  some other well known local garages taking pleasure in their demise, and airing this on social media which I find distasteful, as we are all in this game to get by, yes we are all essentially competitors, but theres enough business for all of us and no one wants to see people out of work, businesses folding etc...

Onwards and upwards i'm off for a brew..

I saw some of that going on also.

Just now, Fixedgear said:

I saw some of that going on also.

Not nice really, seeing as some of us have been in that boat - and ( hopefully not ) some might end up in that boat.

Guess i'm a lover, not a fighter :D

1 minute ago, Mat C said:

Not nice really, seeing as some of us have been in that boat - and ( hopefully not ) some might end up in that boat.

Guess i'm a lover, not a fighter :D

Same. Sometimes even the mighty fall the hardest .

Wasn't aware of Caralot until yesterday when someones FB feed brought them to my attention with a mug shot of a pair of men,

Not nice for people to be gloating about it. 

Its nice to see others doing well and I have a lot of respect for most other traders out there as being in a business there is so many hours that get put in with the ups and downs and challenges that come across.

I genuinely like seeing others succeed and I guess most on here are the same as we all share bits of info to help one another. 

I heard a couple of whispers a few months ago that things weren't totally rosy with the stocking finance and with me being local people like to talk. But other than that I've kept out of it. Always sad when it goes wrong imo, hope they bounce back.

People always want to kick you when your up and kick you when your down,i learnt a long time ago to tell other traders business is superb even when it isnt because otherwise they just want to rip into you

im sure when the time is right he might start again at least he didnt bubble the company owing lots to everyone which seems the norm these days

Edited by James Baggott
No outbound links

It's very sad for any business to fail with the ultimate loss of jobs to members of staff and no doubt plenty of sleepless nights for people directly and indirectly involved.

However.... Is the car Supermarket mentality and people trading with the 'monopoly money' funds of stocking loans, Auction funding facilities making the job so very difficult for people trading responsibly with their own funds, looking to see a bigger margin from selling a £15,000/£18,000/£22,000 car than a £5000 car? This in turn being what drives the Auction prices for stock through the roof because people are stood putting their hands up with the theory 'not my money, if I can take £800 out of that £18000 car then happy days because I'm selling 30/40/50/100 cars a month'? Just a thought.....

I've found things pretty tough the last 4 months, very much down on the same period from last year in terms of numbers sold and ultimately profit made. However with no overdrafts, no stocking or flooring facilities it means I haven't had to be chasing cash flow etc but I wander how many others are feeling the pinch with some big overheads and loans to service etc.

My best wishes to the staff of Caralot and I hope they find alternative employment quickly!

Yep you're correct on that one, i've seen the margins on the more expensive stuff get to a ridiculously low point now. I've got a £25k vehicle in stock and due to the supermarkets pricing similar cars at stupid money i'll be lucky to squeeze £1500 out of it when its all said and done, that will be my last big purchase from the block.

some of the margins have been pushed so low its daft.

You can sell a £13k Aclass with £800 margin in the car because car supermarket has 4 Aclasses in the lovely blue everyone wants making yours look Pricey. 

But then buy a clean 2007 £800 Punto that will fly out for £1995 lol 

Crazy

I can't believe it! i remember being pointed in their FB direction in the early days and have watched them grow, TBH i loved what they did with social media as i'm sure you all did and only last night thought it was odd i hadn't seen a post of theirs lately! wishing them all the best..