Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Noisy Mini Power steering

On a BMW Mini how much noise should you be getting when moving the wheel with the car stationary. I'm guessing a 'bit' rather than sounding like a washing machine on spin cycle?

Early '02/'03? To be fair, its not that bad really, but its still there all the same

Yes the early ones did whine very noticeably, perfectly normal. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that. Just out of interest are the gearboxes weak on these early cars?

Yes they whine as well and can require a rebuild,  I've never touched the early mini but know people who have. 

I steer clear of minis every single one I have had has been nothing but trouble. 

I Love em!

Yes any pre 2006/7 facelift whines like a pig as mentioned, I have customers who actually miss this weird noise when they change a pre facelift for an R56 as they have electric power steering.

However you get what you pay for with a Mini.

2002 120,000 miles is going to be a headache

2008, 80,000 miles is going to be Ok if bought right. 

I try to stick to well maintained, chili Pack cars, I have the odd countryman and paceman along with clubman Cooper D's, but I literally walk away from 80% of cars I look at as they are not right for me. I'm a bit picky sometimes, but i'd rather be that way than take a flyer.

I have learnt along the way the little quirks and issues. But I do really well with Mini's. of the 100 odd cars i've sold since starting this venture I have had 3 big problems. A clutch, a Thermostat and 1 Blown up engine.

Its like any car I guess, pick the cherries and leave the pips.

Have a goodun chaps

27 minutes ago, Mat C said:

I Love em!

Yes any pre 2006/7 facelift whines like a pig as mentioned, I have customers who actually miss this weird noise when they change a pre facelift for an R56 as they have electric power steering.

However you get what you pay for with a Mini.

2002 120,000 miles is going to be a headache

2008, 80,000 miles is going to be Ok if bought right. 

I try to stick to well maintained, chili Pack cars, I have the odd countryman and paceman along with clubman Cooper D's, but I literally walk away from 80% of cars I look at as they are not right for me. I'm a bit picky sometimes, but i'd rather be that way than take a flyer.

I have learnt along the way the little quirks and issues. But I do really well with Mini's. of the 100 odd cars i've sold since starting this venture I have had 3 big problems. A clutch, a Thermostat and 1 Blown up engine.

Its like any car I guess, pick the cherries and leave the pips.

Have a goodun chaps

Mats Spot on, Pre Facelift Engines which have the weak gearbox, (there a Chrysler reworked Engine) are Pre 2006 Facelft, The engines are ok though.

Later 2006 engines are Peugeot Engines 1.4 & 1.6, I have scene the odd whiney box but nothing like the old model. However the Later Engine suffers with a few gremlins such as noisy camshafts and Eats Lambda Sensors for Fun. They seem to last a few years then pack up, A new Sensor and a Flash with Obd always sorts it.

Edited by betginge

I remember when guys were like this over the Renault Clio, hugely popular and trendy little car but not really built to withstand the abuse to which it found itself, ie lent to the boyfriend to joyride!

Just out of interest how do you guys find the 'cmax'. I find that, like many MPV's they are either really loved or not loved and treated like a bus. I've yet to sit in a cmax and think yah rather than urggh!

And also like many MPV's people go to great lengths to hide the fact its been used as a minicab, either saturday nights or school runs:D

Edited by metcars

Trying to get a clean Cmax is difficult the same with Zafira's. There abused by families with Mcdonals and baby sick, and an Old Dog called Shep Thrown in the boot for good measure. 

Cmax are the same as focus mechanically,  I try not to buy the 1.6 Diesel engine due to Turbo Fails that Cannot be Fixed. There are some Ecu faults but they are rare, A Clean Petrol 1.6 is the one  try to buy.

44 minutes ago, betginge said:

Trying to get a clean Cmax is difficult the same with Zafira's. There abused by families with Mcdonals and baby sick, and an Old Dog called Shep Thrown in the boot for good measure. 

Cmax are the same as focus mechanically,  I try not to buy the 1.6 Diesel engine due to Turbo Fails that Cannot be Fixed. There are some Ecu faults but they are rare, A Clean Petrol 1.6 is the one  try to buy.

I agree, MPV's are a workhorse. Worked to death and get no love.

Interesting the amount of Zafira's used by minicabbers though.

On 10/9/2016 at 5:06 PM, betginge said:

Funny, I'll only buy a 1.6 TDCi Ford in the type of car. As long as they been serviced and you know what you are doing, happy days. Unlike the 1.8 TDCi Ford engine that has a wet belt. Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear.

The 1.6 TDCi has always been a disaster for me. Turbos, DPF issues.

The 1.8 TDCI and 2.0 TDCi in C-max or Mondeo has been almost totally problem free for me - except for the odd DMF.

Edited by SC Derby

6 hours ago, SC Derby said:

The 1.6 TDCi has always been a disaster for me. Turbos, DPF issues.

The 1.8 TDCI and 2.0 TDCi in C-max or Mondeo has been almost totally problem free for me - except for the odd DMF.

Have to agree with SC Derby, the 1.8 & 2.0 Tdci don't give that much issue, but the 1.6 unit is a horrid engine. 

Early mini power steering pumps were electro hydraulic, so have fluid but a motor rather than a pump. They whine a little but if they whine a lot they are on the way out, roughly £180 from BBA or ECU testing and a couple of hours to fit from memory. Pre-April 2004 they had Midland gearboxes which were pretty shit to be honest and ate up bearings, can buy rebuilt boxes for around £250+ and not a bad job to fit either. After April 2004 they were Getrag boxes and much better quality and less prone to failure.

I like Minis and sell a few when they come up at the right spec, mileage etc. It's wise to be choosy and know your onions as Mat rightly says

Also a lot of traders walk away from mini's thinking its a box issue and the gear box cables often rot which is a semi easy cheap fix crunching ect i always have a punt on them. 

2 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Also a lot of traders walk away from mini's thinking its a box issue and the gear box cables often rot which is a semi easy cheap fix crunching ect i always have a punt on them. 

OR POP OFF

RIGHT BITCH TO SORT MIND

5 minutes ago, boring dave said:

OR POP OFF

RIGHT BITCH TO SORT MIND

Nahhh air box off and away you go there is a pin there that also makes neutral stiff thats a pig of job

5 hours ago, justina3 said:

Nahhh air box off and away you go there is a pin there that also makes neutral stiff thats a pig of job

you must have smaller hands than me then:)

On 12/10/2016 at 8:04 PM, betginge said:

Have to agree with SC Derby, the 1.8 & 2.0 Tdci don't give that much issue, but the 1.6 unit is a horrid engine. 

If i buy a 1.6 TDCi and its running sweet , i always make sure the oil feed pick ups/banjo's are cleaned out properly when prepping the car for sale. 95% of the time its oil starvation that causes the turbo to fail. Properly maintained they are not much of an issue.