metcars

Getting rid of tobacco smell

I've got a focus here at the moment that has a strong stale smoke odour. To be fair its the worst I've had, guy must have been in a family of chain smokers. Now, I seem to remember there is a 'chemical thing' you can leave in the car overnight to get rid of the smell, anyone used it?

• Like 1

Only way around this is an air ioniser machine.

Autosmart do one called the Aromatex. Will cost you, but well worth it in the long run if it's a problem you encounter regularly.

The thing I've seen is a tray about the size of a cat litter tray. You set off the chemicals and stick it in the car overnight. Comes with a warning sticker. In the US they have something similar to kill 'bugs and critters' :D

Edited by metcars
Spelling

Never tried the 'cat litter tray'

Had a beautiful A3 a few weeks back, Strong stench of cigarettes.

Valeting every single inch of the car to an OCD standard. Changed the pollen filter and cleaned the glass. Once it dried it was no better. Next I sprayed 5 bottles of Febreze all over the roof cloth and seats. Though I had it sorted and it smelled like new. But once the Febreze dried out, same story. Cut open onions and placed coffee granules inside the car which masked it a bit. Tried two of those vanilla odour bombs, waste of time!

Brought it round to a chap who has a Ioniser machine, left it with him overnight. next day the car smelled normal again. With all the time, effort and products used, I'd have been better off buying one first off.

• Like 1

A lot of the smell will be stored in the plastic trims on the pillars which turn yellow with a constant bash from smoking, I always start there with a very heavy apc cleaner be warned the yellow gunk that comes off is about as foul as it gets. 

• Like 1

Autosmart do a product called Odor control fogger which you spray into the vehicle. It's much cheaper than an aromatex and just as good in my opinion.

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this post metcars, must have tried everything under the sun to get rid of the smell of stale cigarette smoke. will try some of these.

This is what I come to this forum for, learning and sharing great tips and advice

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:08 PM, metcars said:

I've got a focus here at the moment that has a strong stale smoke odour. To be fair its the worst I've had, guy must have been in a family of chain smokers. Now, I seem to remember there is a 'chemical thing' you can leave in the car overnight to get rid of the smell, anyone used it?

3 hours ago, RH Trading said:

Thanks for starting this post metcars, must have tried everything under the sun to get rid of the smell of stale cigarette smoke. will try some of these.

This is what I come to this forum for, learning and sharing great tips and advice

How about using sawdust to quieten down a noisy gearbox!:D

• Like 1

Our local Autosmart does a thing called Aromatex Neutrox, you buy the insert for around £60 plus the VAT and he lends you the  fogging machine, set it off for a couple of hours and then re-check it after. I used it on one with spilt milk in the boot on a 5 series, I had it in my mind I could still smell it, but, the guy who bought the car never mentioned it at all. The coffee works too to help disguise it, but, the fogger seems to get rid of the smell with some effect. 

The insert is good for about 10 uses, so very cost effective after a decent valet.

Edited by colnecarcentre
Addition

Once a car has had the full business on the valet including as some have said the plastic trims stick one of these slightly opened under one of the front seats

Bay item number:

they really are effective

1 hour ago, s and b said:

Once a car has had the full business on the valet including as some have said the plastic trims stick one of these slightly opened under one of the front seats

Bay item number:

they really are effective

Dont they just make the car smell like a toilet though?

On 11/10/2016 at 11:27 AM, colnecarcentre said:

Our local Autosmart does a thing called Aromatex Neutrox, you buy the insert for around £60 plus the VAT and he lends you the  fogging machine, set it off for a couple of hours and then re-check it after. I used it on one with spilt milk in the boot on a 5 series, I had it in my mind I could still smell it, but, the guy who bought the car never mentioned it at all. The coffee works too to help disguise it, but, the fogger seems to get rid of the smell with some effect. 

The insert is good for about 10 uses, so very cost effective after a decent valet.

Must ask our Autosmart Rep about it - we had a Kuga with a real stench and nothing would get rid of it, the coffee worked a treat though.

had a c class estate with a strong cigar smoke smell, bought a cheap £15 steam cleaner off fleabay and went over the headliner and seats then used the auto smart

'big d odor control fogger' now all you smell when you the door is oranges.

I tried a product called "AirVidox". Worked like a charm at removing the cigarette smell when i bought my used 2012 Range Rover Sport, which smelt horrendous. Took the smell away completely! Recommended it to my friend when she spilt milk all over her back seat, and it worked for her too! They say they supply to car dealerships as-well, I recommend it to everyone.

25 minutes ago, Carol188 said:

I tried a product called "AirVidox". Worked like a charm at removing the cigarette smell when i bought my used 2012 Range Rover Sport, which smelt horrendous. Took the smell away completely! Recommended it to my friend when she spilt milk all over her back seat, and it worked for her too! They say they supply to car dealerships as-well, I recommend it to everyone.

Thanks I'll try that 

On 8/1/2016 at 9:08 PM, Scooby who said:

Never tried the 'cat litter tray'

I like that idea, if the car smells of cat poo they won't notice the smell of smoke.

Has anyone tried an ozone generator?

From your local supermarket Frebreze 'tobacco' comes in an aerosol, about £4, spray about half a can leave car closed over night after spraying it. 

Works a treat, used it in 2 heavy, smelly, tobacco cars. 

I use AirVidox, get a whiff and it will chemically castrate you but its great, and comes with a lovely air freshener spray too never failed me yet!!