Sign in to follow this  
Rory RSC

Apprentice Mechanic

We currently have 1 full time mechanic working for us. 

Workload is increasing through growth and I was thinking of perhaps taking on either an apprentice or alternatively an experienced mechanic.

If I was to take on an apprentice can anyone offer any information as to how to go about it, is there anything I need to have in place or any organisations I can speak to to be able to get someone placed with us?  

Thanks.

don't know where you are located but my lads an apprentice on the spanners and he got his placement through the north west training council, every region has something similar so you could try calling them and they will probably be able to give you the number for your local organisation

Based in Cheshire Phil - I was'nt sure if you just start asking the colleges or if there is an organisation that deals with placing trainees etc. 

Tried a few google searches but conflicting information seems to be there.

give this man a call Gary on 07970470379, he's my lad's examiner from the north west training council, not sure if they cover your area but he's happy to help you and point you in the right direction, he's expecting your call just mention ste from discount vw audi.  

• Like 1

Do it. I think apprenticeships are fantastic. We currently have 3 and are about to take an extra 2/3 on soon, 30% of our 40 staff started as apprentices and it's great getting fresh blood into the Industry and also gives something to the local area. My advice fInd the best college not the closest. Happy to chat and grants available usually. 

• Like 2

Well Worth Doing, Also don't forget you also get £1500 For taking a Apprentice on from the college, Helps pay there wages for a few months, Which is handy as there learning. I have done this myself with our garage Mot Station. 

Just be careful who you pick, do your homework and choose your own apprentice, don't let the college choose as you may be placed with a workshy student.

Find someone who eager and keen and shows it, even if there not that experienced its best to find someone who is willing to learn and is eager over a lazy know it all.

• Like 1

If you find a good one then it's quids in, but they are few and far between, I have mine from the local College, they actually came in to see us and see if we had space, but I would contact your local college direct as they have dedicated departments and are more than happy to help

• Like 1

Ive actually been in touch with the local college and an agency called total people today who have set the ball rolling. Fingers crossed, could be a good opportunity for someone. They just need to be able to put up with our existing mechanic now :D 

My son started mechanics college a good few years ago now , Get into the college workshop and see the tutors , It was the tutors who placed my son in a place that was very beneficial to him and the garage . Told him he was wasting his time at college and started him two weeks after joining . 

The tutors don't recommend the idle good for nothings , and there's a few of those about , cant be arsed and never will be sorts , the good ones go to good homes , so knowing the tutors and showing interest gets results . That's from my son and not my assumption too . 

Only trouble with the good ones is they leave and set up on their own , so it can be a never ending circle with them . 

2 hours ago, Cynele said:

I study mechanics in college. It takes a lot of time. And I do not have enough time to perform other tasks, especially text. In the end, I order them at https://edubirdie.com/blog/100-research-paper-topics where there is a very wide selection of 100 research paper topics, so now the problems are much less. It is a pity that I did not know about this option before.

I just LOVE sacking these sorts , Come er son , pack your bags and get out NOW :D

Just out of curiosity, to what extent do colleges focus on hybrid technologies?