Trader86

Confused and 100% Undecided

7 hours ago, BHM said:

:lol::lol: That must be the understatement of the year.

That is harsh, someone I know got nearly 2 years out of his Range Rover Sport before the crankshaft snapped....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

No!  There is a fair bit of interest in 'classic' Landrovers, in fact a Thai friend on mine is looking for one right now as a weekend car. There is a company in Bangkok that restores them from the ground up.  Classic cars inc classic Jap and US cars fetch high prices.  New JLR products are very thin on the ground. They are not considered reliable.  I have only ever seen one or two late model Range Rovers. Can't remember the last time I saw a new Jag. For status people buy a Benz.

Only the army seem to be able to make LR reliable/dependable? 

7 hours ago, metcars said:

Only the army seem to be able to make LR reliable/dependable? 

The army used the Wolf model, which is a different kettle of fish to the old civilian Defender it was based on. The Wolf has the 300tdi engine which has no electronics on it and dead easy to repair in the field.. Also has an army design rear axle which is way stronger than the civilian one. The chassis looks the same but is actually different and much stronger. They also have 24V electrics.  Civilian LR/RR products have been garbage for years. I hate the things. Nothing makes my heart sink faster than a customer with one telling me that the air suspension has a fault... They have never managed to get that reliable. There's a reason the Taliban use Toyotas!

• Haha 2

Hi All,

Just to give you an update on where I stand at the moment. I have managed to stock 12 cars now with total retail value of around 26-28k. Also had my cabin / office delivered. Its being kitted now. 
I am ready to hand my notice and list them all on 15th Apr. The only thing worrying me at the moment is that bloody virus, as I have no idea how it’s effecting the second hand cars market, or is it effecting it at all? 

1 minute ago, Trader86 said:

Hi All,

Just to give you an update on where I stand at the moment. I have managed to stock 12 cars now with total retail value of around 26-28k. Also had my cabin / office delivered. Its being kitted now. 
I am ready to hand my notice and list them all on 15th Apr. The only thing worrying me at the moment is that bloody virus, as I have no idea how it’s effecting the second hand cars market, or is it effecting it at all? 

I would NOT be handing in my notice to go self employed until this situation calms down. Can you afford to pay yourself sick pay.

In a case of catching it - 2 weeks of sickness - no-sales wouldn’t have a major financial impact I guess. 
I am more worried about lockdowns and people simply not planning to buy a car as they won’t intend to travel in a foreseeable future. (1/2/3? Months) 

3 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I would NOT be handing in my notice to go self employed until this situation calms down. Can you afford to pay yourself sick pay.

Agree with Mark maybe try part time trading for a few months viewings by appointment sort of thing or reduced hours at your own work if possible or something 

7 minutes ago, Trader86 said:

In a case of catching it - 2 weeks of sickness - no-sales wouldn’t have a major financial impact I guess. 
I am more worried about lockdowns and people simply not planning to buy a car as they won’t intend to travel in a foreseeable future. (1/2/3? Months) 

Its along the lines of 2 weeks isolation period not sickness   So it would probably be that then tests then recovery 

its a wait and see thing take each day as it comes its not going to help thats for sure 

i think you have busy and quiet weeks anyway so hard to say but i think if it keeps going the way it is it could have a big effect 

Edited by Casper

2 hours ago, Trader86 said:

Hi All,

Seriously, I would not hand your notice in just yet. We have no idea how this virus will pan out. Its not just a case of you getting sick, its the impact on the wider economy. It could take six months or more before things normalise and judging by the stock market we could be looking down the barrel of a recession.

I was 50-50 but looking at the responses it looks like I may keep the job for now.. 

Can’t believe.. I was planning this for over 1 year, to finally leave that warehouse, no more 12 hrs nights but rather do something what I really enjoy. Last 2 months began to prep my cars really well whatever needed service has been serviced, whatever needed a deep 2-3 hrs valet has been valeted by myself to a very high standards. Paid £2.5k for the office, all the equipment as well. I finally had the balls to start no matter what and this..  Madness. Wow. 

Wouldn’t recession cripple new cars market and  boost the second hand cars market? 

11 minutes ago, Trader86 said:

Wouldn’t recession cripple new cars market and  boost the second hand cars market? 

I am pretty much retired after almost 40 years in this business. Seen plenty of ups and downs.... Thatcher, high unemployment, very high interest rates. Miners' strike. Fuel strikes etc etc.  Recession never does anyone any good.  This time things are different though - its global, its hitting supply chains, we are dealing with 'unknown unknowns'.  And we are supposed to be Brexiting...

8 minutes ago, Trader86 said:

I was 50-50 but looking at the responses it looks like I may keep the job for now.. 

Can’t believe.. I was planning this for over 1 year, to finally leave that warehouse, no more 12 hrs nights but rather do something what I really enjoy. Last 2 months began to prep my cars really well whatever needed service has been serviced, whatever needed a deep 2-3 hrs valet has been valeted by myself to a very high standards. Paid £2.5k for the office, all the equipment as well. I finally had the balls to start no matter what and this..  Madness. Wow. 

It’s not a good time to set up,I would keep your day job for several more months.You will have enough things to cope with when you do start up ( which you had never thought of ) so sit tight for the moment but keep asking on here and the pros will help.

• Like 1

i gave you very good advice on page one

i seriously suggest you read it again

i really dont think you are mentally ready for a full time business owner job if you ask me irrespective of the product

just sayin no offence

3 hours ago, Trader86 said:

I have managed to stock 12 cars now with total retail value of around 26-28k

Presuming you have bought them all well... you might be better off getting a buying job for a supermarket......

I have struggled to buy stock for over 3 weeks.

20 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

i gave you very good advice on page one

i seriously suggest you read it again

i really dont think you are mentally ready for a full time business owner job if you ask me irrespective of the product

just sayin no offence

Yeah I know. 

And I appreciated then I appreciate it now too. 

I ignored it then and will continue to do so, i have similar same mentality with any new manager who starts with us, where I have done this job for 13 year. 

Its natural and Its ok with me. 

11 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Presuming you have bought them all well... you might be better off getting a buying job for a supermarket......

I have struggled to buy stock for over 3 weeks.

Yes, bought few really good ones. 

All private sales. 

ie Qashqai 15 plate 50k 1.2T - £4800 1 owner. 

I don’t do auctions. 

17 minutes ago, Trader86 said:

ie Qashqai 15 plate 50k 1.2T - £4800 1 owner. 

A good one? :wacko:

I presume you know about the grenade that Nissan fitted to this engine bay? :lol:

1 hour ago, Trader86 said:

ie Qashqai 15 plate 50k 1.2T

I just had to sit down and take a few deep breaths when I read that....:o

Surely I made a right call to stay employed.. resignation all typed up, but still in my drawer... god knows when all this ends.. I hope you folks are all taking it easy. 

Am I even allowed to arrange any viewings as I had couple of people calling but told them not to bother, as don’t want to get into troubles.. 

7 hours ago, Trader86 said:

Surely I made a right call to stay employed.. resignation all typed up, but still in my drawer... god knows when all this ends.. I hope you folks are all taking it easy. 

Am I even allowed to arrange any viewings as I had couple of people calling but told them not to bother, as don’t want to get into troubles.. 

No. You're trying to have your cake and eat it.

Unlike most of us, you are still earning at least 80% of your salary. Most on here will be earning sweet FA and even if they do offer some "wage" support, what about my rent, advertising (after the free period), insurance et al.

Be happy with the position you are fortunately in (guided by people on this forum, myself included to hold off resigning). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

No. You're trying to have your cake and eat it.

Unlike most of us, you are still earning at least 80% of your salary. Most on here will be earning sweet FA and even if they do offer some "wage" support, what about my rent, advertising (after the free period), insurance et al.

+1.

Also, I’d rip up the resignation letter. 

I agree rip up the resignation letter and sit it out least your earning . 

If I were you I would not undertake any trading activity. Sit tight in your job. It may take until this time next year until things properly normalise - and even then expect to be in pit of a recession with slim pickings.