sam1

HELP! Where am I going wrong?

Recommended Posts

Hello there.

Newbie to the trade game. We have sold quite a few cars over this past 9 months. But we have had this 2012 Honda CR-V for over 3 months now. 

I am not sure where I'm going wrong:huh:

I have it listed on Facebook, Gumtree and eBay currently.

The ad has been simplified because I thought it was too long. I have also taken newer photos. 

  • Am I pricing it too high?
  • Am I taking bad photos?
  • Is my listing too vague?

I have attached the Gumtree Ad below.

Thanks for all your help! 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/2012-honda-cr-v-22-diesel-manual-suv/1364657596

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all get sticky cars.

Tbh if anything it looks too cheap. 

Your photos aren’t the best. 

CRVs went off the boil a year ago for me.

Edited by BHM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, here goes.

1) Only CRV's I did well with were top spec EX models but even they struggle nowadays

2) It's red (although I sold a red EX spec very quickly once)

3) Photos are in a car park (or looks like one)

4) You're advertising on Gumtree (never sold a single car from there)

5) It is probably too cheap which will deter the serious (nice) customers

Your last comment "If the ad is up, it is still for sale" means you are bored of generic messages asking if it is still available. Welcome to our world.

Welcome by the way. You might do better placing the post in the General section.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sam1 said:

eBay currently

You’ve got it advertised as 2wd......

......and delete all of this shit;

The car has recently had the passenger side airbag recall done.
 
THE CAR IS READY TO GO WITH NO ISSUES
 
£4,500 ono
 
Test drives welcome.
 
NO TYRE KICKERS AND TIMEWASTERS
 
If the ad is up, it’s still for sale!
Edited by BHM
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the car trade. Three months is not that unusual, we all have the odd bit of stock thats had a birthday, sometimes with no good reason.

Low spec and red is going to be hard work. but it is cheap. Gumtree is a waste of time unless you like exchanging emails with the unwell.

Your best shot is to get it rephotographed and make it look a bit more professional. Good camera, lots of angles etc.

The ad looks like a private sale, so if you are serious about thinking you are a trader you will have to offer part ex and a basic warranty to attract some views.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BHM said:

We all get sticky cars.

Tbh if anything it looks too cheap. 

Your photos aren’t the best. 

CRVs went off the boil a year ago for me.

Thanks for your reply. 

What would you sell it for given the history and miles? 
 

Thanks again,

Sam

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

OK, here goes.

1) Only CRV's I did well with were top spec EX models but even they struggle nowadays

2) It's red (although I sold a red EX spec very quickly once)

3) Photos are in a car park (or looks like one)

4) You're advertising on Gumtree (never sold a single car from there)

5) It is probably too cheap which will deter the serious (nice) customers

Your last comment "If the ad is up, it is still for sale" means you are bored of generic messages asking if it is still available. Welcome to our world.

Welcome by the way. You might do better placing the post in the General section.

Thanks for your reply.

Where should I take photos?

We haven’t got a business premises yet. 

What could I realistically expect to fetch for this?

Appreciate your help!

1 hour ago, BHM said:

You’ve got it advertised as 2wd......

......and delete all of this shit;

The car has recently had the passenger side airbag recall done.
 
THE CAR IS READY TO GO WITH NO ISSUES
 
£4,500 ono
 
Test drives welcome.
 
NO TYRE KICKERS AND TIMEWASTERS
 
If the ad is up, it’s still for sale!

I will get onto doing that now.

 

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Highlinev8 said:

Welcome to the car trade. Three months is not that unusual, we all have the odd bit of stock thats had a birthday, sometimes with no good reason.

Low spec and red is going to be hard work. but it is cheap. Gumtree is a waste of time unless you like exchanging emails with the unwell.

Your best shot is to get it rephotographed and make it look a bit more professional. Good camera, lots of angles etc.

The ad looks like a private sale, so if you are serious about thinking you are a trader you will have to offer part ex and a basic warranty to attract some views.

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I very quickly realised that Gumtree is full of dodgy scammers, I wasn’t sure where else to list and Autotrader is quite expensive imo.

I’ve just been using my iPhone for photos, I’ll have to dig out my proper camera..

People have offered me a couple of.. ehm.. let’s say.. steaming piles of ‘car’.

I had someone offer me an ‘07 Passat S saloon 2.0 TDI 140bhp.

The car was in absolute battered condition. I’m talking missing exterior door handles and the works lol.

Also, it was written off twice.

It had done 150k. The gentleman wanted £2k trade in value against my car.

When I told him I couldn’t offer more than £250 I received a series of harsh expletives and basically telling me to park the CR-V in my back passage:D

All in a days work, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sam1 said:

Where should I take photos?

Ditch Gumtree asap, waste of time.

Find a nice park area (shame the trees have no leaves). Nothing in the background as best you can and certainly no other people's cars, dogs, walkers etc.

IPhone is fine, it is all most of us use but get minimum 30 pics but ideally 80-100 (yes really).

Don't draw attention to anything that has been done as a recall.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 10:29 AM, sam1 said:

I’ve just been using my iPhone for photos,

There’s nowt wrong with an iPhone camera. It’s how & what you point it at & in the correct light, that’s important.

Photos don’t need to be to David Bailey standards, just not pisspoor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BHM said:

There’s nowt wrong with an iPhone camera. It’s how & what you point it at & in the correct light, that’s important.

Photos don’t need to be to David Bailey standards, just not pisspoor.

I agree (as usual).  I have a decent Cannon EOS type pricey job and unless you know how to use it, the pics and videos on my iPhone X produce much better results, so I've just been using that the last year.

I did buy this the clip on polarising wide angle lens the other day though for fluppence and it looks to be a further improvement (although the weather hasn't been on my side)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0793M3Z8V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me its the location of those photo's that I would suspect is putting people off. As others have mentioned above you need to find somewhere more rural / picturesquefor the shots. Public car park photo's always seem abit  "scammy" to me! Doesn't look a bad truck tbf. 

p.s I agree that gumtree is crap - off topic but does anyone know if you can get out of the ebay + plus gumtree that I decided to give a ago in November 19 on a 12 month contract? would aim to keep the ebay going and put the additonal 50 odd quid saved a month by not having gumtree towards the rip off merchants that are the Autotrader!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Huggins said:

does anyone know if you can get out of the ebay + plus gumtree 

You can't - unless you're a legacy customer. It is EMP + Gumtree or nothing. I know because Gumtree is a waste of time for me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Thanks for everybody’s advice. I’ve followed it and I’ve updated the ad slightly and taken new photos.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=402056551856&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

Any further changes I need to make, I’m all ears.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. You’re a credit to the site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mark101 said:

You can't - unless you're a legacy customer. It is EMP + Gumtree or nothing. I know because Gumtree is a waste of time for me too.

so they come as a pair now then! Ebay is OK for unusual or cheap stuff I find. Gumtree is a total waste of time (this reinforced my initial suspicions before signing up!)

6 hours ago, sam1 said:

Update: Thanks for everybody’s advice. I’ve followed it and I’ve updated the ad slightly and taken new photos.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=402056551856&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

Any further changes I need to make, I’m all ears.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. You’re a credit to the site.

Gumtree is still at 4500 and ebay 5995!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Huggins said:

so they come as a pair now then! Ebay is OK for unusual or cheap stuff I find. Gumtree is a total waste of time (this reinforced my initial suspicions before signing up!)

Gumtree is still at 4500 and ebay 5995!

Forgot about that.. lol. Thought I deleted it. Cheers bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 11:26 PM, sam1 said:

Hello there.

Newbie to the trade game. We have sold quite a few cars over this past 9 months. But we have had this 2012 Honda CR-V for over 3 months now. 

I am not sure where I'm going wrong:huh:

I have it listed on Facebook, Gumtree and eBay currently.

The ad has been simplified because I thought it was too long. I have also taken newer photos. 

  • Am I pricing it too high?
  • Am I taking bad photos?
  • Is my listing too vague?

I have attached the Gumtree Ad below.

Thanks for all your help! 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/2012-honda-cr-v-22-diesel-manual-suv/1364657596

So why are you advertising as a private seller,? Plastic wannabe trader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pip said:

So why are you advertising as a private seller,? Plastic wannabe trader

Hello there, thanks very much for your reply. Really informative.

Now, how about you climb off your high horse and read above where it clearly states ‘New to the trade game’ 

We are new, as in, just started. So just because we don’t have a massive forecourt and are trading from home, does that make us ‘wannabe’??

In all honesty we don’t have the funds available as of yet to have the facilities the non ‘wannabe’ traders have (selling accounts, finance, forecourt, etc)

We are currently in the process of having logos, business cards, social media and selling space accounts being created, (as a business)

Just because it’s advertised on a personal page, doesn’t mean that it’s misrepresentation. We tell people we are trade. There’s no denying it. 

Just bare in mind that people have to start somewhere, maybe things aren’t quite in place, there’s nothing illegitimate about that.

 So unless you have any genuine advice, information or anything that will be of benefit to me and my business, don’t bother commenting on my thread.

It’s negative, ignorant people like you that ruin brilliant forums like these.

Look at all the comments above yours. They are a credit to this forum and to the trade. 
 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 9:07 PM, sam1 said:

Hello there, thanks very much for your reply. Really informative.

Now, how about you climb off your high horse and read above where it clearly states ‘New to the trade game’ 

We are new, as in, just started. So just because we don’t have a massive forecourt and are trading from home, does that make us ‘wannabe’??

In all honesty we don’t have the funds available as of yet to have the facilities the non ‘wannabe’ traders have (selling accounts, finance, forecourt, etc)

We are currently in the process of having logos, business cards, social media and selling space accounts being created, (as a business)

Just because it’s advertised on a personal page, doesn’t mean that it’s misrepresentation. We tell people we are trade. There’s no denying it. 

Just bare in mind that people have to start somewhere, maybe things aren’t quite in place, there’s nothing illegitimate about that.

 So unless you have any genuine advice, information or anything that will be of benefit to me and my business, don’t bother commenting on my thread.

It’s negative, ignorant people like you that ruin brilliant forums like these.

Look at all the comments above yours. They are a credit to this forum and to the trade. 
 

 

 

WELL SAID !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2021 at 5:44 AM, Trieu Ho said:

I think it's because the image is not really realistic. You must use self-portraits. At least 20 - 30 sheets. Many different styles.
You can see some actual pictures at the bottom of this post of mine. It is really attractive.

https://toyotaokayama.com.vn/xe-toyota-yaris-da-nang

Some weird stuff gets on here :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all 

Been following the forum and watching a lot of content on youtube.. I am also a newbie to the car dealing.. Probably wrong time to enter with prices so high and limited stock. 
Any help and advise will be recommended but ive taken the following steps some are quite obvious some are not so much

- Trade insurance in place
- Have a pair of trade plates
-Setup Facebook/Instagram page 

Outsource my body and mechancial work- have agreed 30 day payment terms with a local garage and a discounted labour rate 

provide 12 MOT and 3 months warranty on all cars- i self warranty at the moment 

Purchasing mainly from auction as buying privately i find it too much hassle but maybe i need to explore the route
Buying criteria is largely below 90k and below 3K- try to look for cars with good SH, Max 3/4 owners but sometimes make exceptions to that rule.
Makes - Audi, Ford, Mini, BMW, VW, Vauxhall -- i stick to these makes as i see them as best sellers on used cars 

Looking to setup a website -- but at the moment i not doing 5-10 cars a months so might put that on hold for a bit. 

I advertise on AT mainly and Gumtree but find i will only use AT from now on 

Any other advise recommendations will be appreciated 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.