Pip

Buying a Lemon , your biggest loss

I’ve had my fair share of luck selling cars and a few not so lucky over the years. Just out of curiosity what is your biggest loss? I haven’t lost for a long time but had two this week. They say it comes in threes. I had a wiring loom completely burn out on a newish Clio on Monday. Then today chain has jumped on BMW 3 series on a 13 plate with 55k on clock. Going to have a lovely Monday stripping that down. 

Just hoping I can still squeeze some profit out of these two. Just wondering with a fmdsh will bmw help towards this? Last serviced in December 500 miles ago.

I have very rarely ‘lost’ but bought a grade 5 white scirocco blind when 4 months ago for £3300 Because it’s was cheap’ from BCA 

it needed

Body work & paint £600 - dual mass and clutch £575 - turbo actuator £150 - boost sensor £70 - satnav repairing £75 - mot & service £120 - air con re charge £50 - 

Finally ready last week and its up for £5495 but it was an absolute shocker of a purchase- I must of been blind drunk bidding on it.  I may make £100 on it if I’m lucky after putting a warranty on it.

4 months of my life I will never get back

Oh and bought 118d m sport coupe 3 months ago for £5000 12 plate 56k miles.  Needed a new engine but will break even so hopefully get some finance on it

Edited by Grantlfc81

I don’t sell much so-call prestige (ahem!) German stock but recently had an A6 that needed about 6 items attending too, an older 318 p/x with a stretched timing chain (thankfully moved on & it wiped its face) & have one of BMW’s 4x4s (my first, and my last) that has ‘issues’. All below average miles for age, all historied up.

These krautmobiles are an absolute fucking disgrace. Get in a Honda with 150K on it & it runs like clockwork. Get in Germany’s finest at 100K and I’m waiting for the next light on the dashboard to illuminate.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 2

Just, sold an Audi Q7 that went up to Inverness, suspension issues and it went all over the place to get it fixed, ended up at Audi with an almost £4K bill

We just struggle with those german cars,keep trying the odd one,but seems to sit for ages,then have to reduce them,so end up thinking why bother,and then read all the"Kraut" horror stories on here! We just took in a really beutifull  2015  1 series 120 Msport 3 door done 52000,but decided to trade it on,got good shout of £9000 on it,so of it went.Better for us to go and buy 2 £4500 bread and butter cars with that money,can see what we deal in here....www.oldfieldsautos.com.

12 minutes ago, peter..o said:

We just took in a really beutifull  2015  1 series 120 Msport 3 door done 52000,but decided to trade it on,got good shout of £9000 on it,so of it went

Sounds very similar to the one I just sold for £10400. 8 days to sell. 

Good work,well done Nick,we just seem to struggle with them,but do ok on our boring stock,7/10 a week with similar profits,I guess its just what suits your business or how you set your stall out,its what weve always done and what you do.Lets hope we can all carry on taking our own slice of the pie.

• Like 1

Most recent one was a 2014 Audi A6 with 60k miles, bought blind from auction. 

so far it’s needed

a windscreen

2 x front window regulators

3 x 20”tyres 

sat nav ariel

wiring repair for parking sensors

Auto gearbox service and repair and software update 

front brake discs and pads 

<_<

Getting married to a woman who has horses!

5 hours ago, MrC said:

5 hours ago, MrC said:

?????

Biggest loss was a Ferrari 430 Spider I bought new 2007 for £154,000, sold a year later having done 1800 miles for £106,000!

5402A68A-D30C-4D43-B0B1-448DB439E9DD.jpeg

5 hours ago, MrC said:

5 hours ago, MrC said:

25 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

What a car though!

If I had £48 k , and a year to live, I’d be tempted.....one year.....you never know 

18 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

Just, sold an Audi Q7 that went up to Inverness, suspension issues and it went all over the place to get it fixed, ended up at Audi with an almost £4K bill

Fuck me Andy, I’d be in tears!

My 35th birthday present to myself... DB9 Volante. 3,000 miles over 3.5 years, 20k bath in the end. (Sold it last year thank goodness, they have continued to drop) 

Never again... until the next time. Replaced it with a baby so I don't mind at all. :wub:

Im currently about £3500 into fixing a £3000 mini.

Timing chain, Clutch, Rear Quarter respray.

Will push my luck and advertise for £3595 see if i can break even.

Lost £100 on an IX20 but that's about as bad as i have had so far.

57 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Im currently about £3500 into fixing a £3000 mini.

Timing chain, Clutch, Rear Quarter respray.

Will push my luck and advertise for £3595 see if i can break even.

Lost £100 on an IX20 but that's about as bad as i have had so far.

I'll have some of your luck I think! £100 loss being your worse!

I done £4k on a BMW X5 once. Overheating, changed the rad and thermostat (as guided by the garage) but in the end it transpired to be a lot worse, plus the gearbox was starting to thump like a heavyweight boxer so I SOR it and took a £4k bath.

4 minutes ago, EPV said:

I'll have some of your luck I think! £100 loss being your worse!

I done £4k on a BMW X5 once. Overheating, changed the rad and thermostat (as guided by the garage) but in the end it transpired to be a lot worse, plus the gearbox was starting to thump like a heavyweight boxer so I SOR it and took a £4k bath.

Im sure my loss will come ...... Im just not looking forward to it being relatively new compared to some people i have done less cars i also try to stay away from the BMWs other than minis and anything complicated 4x4 wise.

I’ve had two Range Rovers rovers suck 4K each out of me. I once bought a SL450 R107 that the bulkhead was so rusty the wipers weren’t even attached, that was a 5k repair 15 years ago. There’s been loads to be fair, it’s part of the job..

I think I lost about ten k on my r8, in fairness I got more than my original purchase price back but I spent about ten grand on making it different. 

9 hours ago, BHM said:

Fuck me Andy, I’d be in tears!

there was no way around it

On 1/12/2020 at 3:49 PM, MrC said:

I had one of those once, I kept trying to explain that we could rent it a 2 bed flat for it to live in for what she was paying for livery.

2 hours ago, J.T said:

I had one of those once, I kept trying to explain that we could rent it a 2 bed flat for it to live in for what she was paying for livery.

About 3 years ago we stopped having joint accounts.... guess who's always skint?

• Haha 1