BIGNIT

MOT in advance or not

Cant decide if its best to MOT in advance or not. At moment we MOT once a deposit is taken or if car is within 30 days of expiry. Main reason we wait till got a deposit is if in the event something goes wrong an MOT 1mile/1day before collection goes a long way to showing the car is roadworthy at the time of sale. Also if we have MOT a car in advance I feel pressured to sell it quicker as it is obvious how long we have had a car in stock and of course customers wont be getting 12 month mot anymore.

The reason I doubting my strategy is I get the feeling cars that have already been MOT in advance (ones within 30 days of expiry) are selling quicker. I also had a couple of comments from customers recently saying they were put off at first because the car only had 4 month mot when they looked it up. Even though it says in numerous places 12 Month MOT on every car. But this shouldn't be of any surprise because I am sure the majority of customers can not read. I also put viewing by appointment everywhere but every week get at least someone just turning up.

So do you MOT in advance or not and whats your reasons behind it?

I am assuming we all put a fresh test on every car, I do as I feel it adds value to the vehicle and it covers my back legally. Be interesting also to see how many on here dont put a fresh test on.

• Like 1

Always in advance for me takes the pressure of trying to find parts if needed, plus as you mention the customer likes to see a good clean mot, less rushing around and sods law when you need something doing the mechanic is busy or any other million reasons not leave it until last minute. 

I dont buy into all this protect yourself from the nasty customer do your job right and your ok, yes you will always come across that one or in james case six nut jobs but no matter what bit of paper you have they will still be nut jobs in part most punters are ok.

Always test in advance lets me be able to fix it at my own pace and not under pressure.

Once anything has been in stock over 6 months retest ( Unfortunately im about to have a few of them)

We always service/fix faults/checked over by mechanic before advertised so car should pass mot first time once a deposit is taken (doesnt always work out like that though)

3 hours ago, BIGNIT said:

We always service/fix faults/checked over by mechanic before advertised so car should pass mot first time once a deposit is taken (doesnt always work out like that though)

Do a bit of both .. really on cars thats already had there first mot we tend to do it on original checks on cars almost due there first just a few months under 3 years old we wait till its sold 

Edited by Casper

Always MOT when a car arrives in, part of the prep and paint as standard now. Why worry after taking a deposit if it will pass or not etc which could delay or cancel the deal etc

Wouldn't do it any other way. Saves hassle later on down the line in my eyes. Although depends on age of cars I guess. Nearly new stuff when deposit is taken may work better.

Each to their own : )

If 90% of garages have their cars MOT tested in advance ready to pay and drive away but you don't and you were in the market for a car and needed one would you buy from the place that would let you drive off or would you buy from the place that made you come back ?

5 hours ago, BIGNIT said:

Customers look online at the MOT history, they will want to know what they are potentially purchasing (advisories etc), they will want to see the MOT completed and preferably advisory free. Always MOT and prep the car first, when it then goes on sale it can be driven away immediately. IMO

Edited by Arfur Dealy

7 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Customers look online at the MOT history, they will want to know what they are potentially purchasing (advisories etc), they will won't to see the MOT completed and even better if its advisory free. Always MOT and prep the car first, when it then goes on sale it can be driven away immediately. IMO

This I agree with.  For me with 30-40 cars, it's not possible (especially with current stock turn or lack of) or at least, very difficult.  I have always done as the OP, and had an MOT, Pdi etc done after sale so the customer gets the full benefit.  However, AD is right, the bastards are more often than not, looking online at the MOT history and having a mild breakdown over pathetic advisories.  I'm sure this stops some even calling or emailing about the junk.  So...I have been trying to MOT a few when they arrive before advertising.  Especially on the ones I think have a good chance of selling relatively quickly.  The last four I have done, have already sold.  So, once again- living in the past isn't the way forward.  Adapt or die once again. :0)

• Like 1

I'm in advance, probably for the reasons others have stated here. Sometimes people just want to take the car there and then which when the mot's been done it makes it much easier. My MOT station do any re-mot's at half price if I get any stuck up my backside and end up redoing. 

Customers being able to check the mot history is becoming a bit of a nightmare though, the amount of time recently I get people saying "On the mot history from 5 years ago it had an advisory for such and such" :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

In advance so the cars can all be sold & driven away NOW. 

My stock isn’t in the first flush of youth so it also gives me chance to get them repaired & tbh I regularly do more than the MOT tester insists upon. Also, about 50% of punters know how to check the MOT history so they like to know what to expect (although 50% of that 50% haven’t a fucking clue what they’re looking at and can’t understand why a secondhand car has advisories - what sort of tester can’t find something to comment on, or fail, on an old car? :rolleyes:)

I collect them from the auction an they go straight to the workshop for MOT and inspection before going on sale, no point spending money on cosmetic prep if the cars a donkey like a cheap x5 I bought last week:blink:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

cheap x5 I bought last week:blink:

:lol:

From what I’ve seen this week at the block the only reason people have traded-in their old car is because it’s shagged. After spending an hour inspecting cars yesterday I came away, watched the auction online & saw cars with knackered engines etc. all making clean money - these aren’t nowt special, I’m on about 8-10 yr old cars. Fuck knows where’s the profit after fixing them.

We PDI/service It, then valet it,  then mot it.  Not point doing an mot after in case they want to take it away on the spot. 80% of Our customers want to take the car there and then.

doing an mot once it’s sold and it fails, then you could be in trouble

On 11/27/2019 at 8:31 PM, MarkTVS said:

I collect them from the auction an they go straight to the workshop for MOT and inspection before going on sale, no point spending money on cosmetic prep if the cars a donkey like a cheap x5 I bought last week:blink:

This is just common sense and the way to go, as it tells you what’s needed, before the car goes on sale.

If someone wants a brand new MOT on collection, no problems with that but they have to pay for it extra for it as it’s an optional extra ...

On 11/27/2019 at 4:12 PM, NOACROSS said:

This I agree with.  For me with 30-40 cars, it's not possible (especially with current stock turn or lack of) or at least, very difficult.  I have always done as the OP, and had an MOT, Pdi etc done after sale so the customer gets the full benefit.  However, AD is right, the bastards are more often than not, looking online at the MOT history and having a mild breakdown over pathetic advisories.  I'm sure this stops some even calling or emailing about the junk.  So...I have been trying to MOT a few when they arrive before advertising.  Especially on the ones I think have a good chance of selling relatively quickly.  The last four I have done, have already sold.  So, once again- living in the past isn't the way forward.  Adapt or die once again. :0)

Sorry but I think we need to remember the bastards you mention are the ones who give us a living. Comments  like this give the trade a bad name ...

Edited by Dave c

7 minutes ago, Dave c said:

This is just common sense and the way to go, as it tells you what’s needed, before the car goes on sale.

If someone wants a brand new MOT on collection, no problems with that but they have to pay for it extra for it as it’s an optional extra ...

Sorry but I think we need to remember the bastards you mention are the ones who give us a living. Comments  like this give the trade a bad name ...

Well, I apologise if my use of the word bastard gave that sweeping opinion from your sensitive self. I most certainly don’t think my customers are actually bastards, and I was using a bit of poetic license. Or at least that was the intention. 

However, punters that worry about an advisory that not only isn’t worth having a sweat or mild panic over; or one that obviously common sense would understand that said statement of  ‘ this car will come with a new no advisory mot Sir/Madam’ are perhaps to be avoided.  If you chose to deal with every ‘ahem’ different individual that presents themselves to you-then that is all credit to you and I wish you well.  

Anyone who thinks that I for a moment give the trade a bad name, has formed the wrong opinion of my posts to this fine forum I would suggest-as I would have thought I was a fair way down that list. In thirty plus years of doing this (not including growing up with my father being in the trade also) I have never been accused of this. I would proffer that some relative newbie in particular making such a sweeping statement, is in fact setting their own bad name reputation.  

I shall of course be closely scrutinising your future posts for some revenge. ;o)

(Now that was meant light heartedly in case you took further offence as I’m very thick skinned.) 

I think I’ll now also retreat to the Private room again. That is common sense of course. 

Lets hope we end it there and an apology is forthcoming.  I will let you have the last word otherwise.  

11 hours ago, Dave c said:

Snowflake 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

14 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Well, I apologise if my use of the word bastard gave that sweeping opinion from your sensitive self. I most certainly don’t think my customers are actually bastards, and I was using a bit of poetic license. Or at least that was the intention. 

However, punters that worry about an advisory that not only isn’t worth having a sweat or mild panic over; or one that obviously common sense would understand that said statement of  ‘ this car will come with a new no advisory mot Sir/Madam’ are perhaps to be avoided.  If you chose to deal with every ‘ahem’ different individual that presents themselves to you-then that is all credit to you and I wish you well.  

Anyone who thinks that I for a moment give the trade a bad name, has formed the wrong opinion of my posts to this fine forum I would suggest-as I would have thought I was a fair way down that list. In thirty plus years of doing this (not including growing up with my father being in the trade also) I have never been accused of this. I would proffer that some relative newbie in particular making such a sweeping statement, is in fact setting their own bad name reputation.  

I shall of course be closely scrutinising your future posts for some revenge. ;o)

(Now that was meant light heartedly in case you took further offence as I’m very thick skinned.) 

I think I’ll now also retreat to the Private room again. That is common sense of course. 

Lets hope we end it there and an apology is forthcoming.  I will let you have the last word otherwise.  

Aww. If it was poetic licence, that’s different...guess there are different ways of interpreting the written word. I took it at face value, and clearly that was not your intention. As you say, let us end it there ?

Cars shouldn’t be on the forecourt and ready for sale if they are not road worthy. Mot should be done before it’s up for sale.

Bastards? What’s wrong with using the c-word to describe some of today’s greedy, ignorant, lying punters with their unrealistic expectations :lol: