Sign in to follow this  
NacMan

Relevance or price low/high

Do you think the punters change relevance to price low to high? or do they just leave it at relevance? I know id change to price low to high but you don't know some people these days

A bit of both tbh. Human nature dictates many want something cheap, however many then get lazy & can’t be bothered to travel. 

Tbh though, it’s always surprised me that people will travel half a day for a cheap car but many will.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Tbh though, it’s always surprised me that people will travel half a day for a cheap car but many will.

Completely get it for something with spec or rare or desirable. Had someone travel to buy a focus diesel Zetec S that was priced averagely and they came from Bournemouth to Cheshire. There was plenty more between us and them, cheaper and the same money to.

4 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Nearest first is always my first preference. 

How do you price your vehicles then?

OP yes absolutely. Everyone knows how to adjust search options nowadays, no different to your wife looking at handbags on Amazon or you looking at car parts on ebay? Or the other way round lol! Seriously, price is king for punters and quality/service is taken as read?

1 hour ago, NacMan said:

How do you price your vehicles then?

90% of the time just under AT avg Retail. 

On 10/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, NacMan said:

Do you think the punters change relevance to price low to high? or do they just leave it at relevance? I know id change to price low to high but you don't know some people these days

You can't be everything to everyone.

Some people will be looking for a boggo Focus or Astra and in which case, will have £5,000 to spend and filter by price.

Other people will be looking for a high spec Q7 and price will enter their head a lot later in their little car buying journey. Some people will travel 250 miles to save £250 on a boggo Focus where as some people won't travel 50 miles for a better spec.

So worrying about whether people search high to low, or distance, is a waste of time because everyone starts out at a different point. In my opinion, it's all academic and there are much more important factors to be considered in digital advertising.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EPV said:

You can't be everything to everyone.

Some people will be looking for a boggo Focus or Astra and in which case, will have £5,000 to spend and filter by price.

Other people will be looking for a high spec Q7 and price will enter their head a lot later in their little car buying journey. Some people will travel 250 miles to save £250 on a boggo Focus where as some people won't travel 50 miles for a better spec.

So worrying about whether people search high to low, or distance, is a waste of time because everyone starts out at a different point. In my opinion, it's all academic and there are much more important factors to be considered in digital advertising.

So true

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

90% of the time just under AT avg Retail. 

Ah they usually are priced quite high compared to others then don't you think?

26 minutes ago, NacMan said:

Ah they usually are priced quite high compared to others then don't you think?

No, I charge just under the average. 

46 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Price low to high within 50 miles I should suspect would be most people’s choice.

I disagree (depending what you’re selling) but for a £15k car, I think people will travels a very long way to get the best or to save some £££’s.

I sell relatively seldom few cars locally but plenty nationally. Redcar, Cornwall, Ireland, Northampton, Bristol, Swindon, Pembroke, Cardiff - you get the picture and that is just the recentish ones I can remember, none within 50 miles of me.

7 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I disagree (depending what you’re selling) but for a £15k car, I think people will travels a very long way to get the best or to save some £££’s.

I sell relatively seldom few cars locally but plenty nationally. Redcar, Cornwall, Ireland, Northampton, Bristol, Swindon, Pembroke, Cardiff - you get the picture and that is just the recentish ones I can remember, none within 50 miles of me.

Agreed. Autotrader do state that most people will travel 60 miles. There’s always people that will travel 300 miles and those that won’t leave their front door. 

Too many variables to even consider second guessing how “people” search. 

What does 'Relevance' even mean?? Yes I know what the definition of the word is before I get the smart replies, but what does it mean in an Autotrader search?

For example I've just searched for a Nissan Micra within 40 miles between £6000 and £7000 and found 8 cars, the Autotrader search has defaulted to list them in Relevance. Surely they are all relevant as they are all Nissan Micra's within 40 miles and between 6k & 7k?

The first one in the list is not the cheapest, not the closest, and not the lowest mileage, so why is that one more 'relevant' than the others?

You'll soon find out why NacMan, once you've been with Autotrader for a bit.

1 minute ago, J.T said:

What does 'Relevance' even mean?? Yes I know what the definition of the word is before I get the smart replies, but what does it mean in an Autotrader search?

For example I've just searched for a Nissan Micra within 40 miles between £6000 and £7000 and found 8 cars, the Autotrader search has defaulted to list them in Relevance. Surely they are all relevant as they are all Nissan Micra's within 40 miles and between 6k & 7k?

The first one in the list is not the cheapest, not the closest, and not the lowest mileage, so why is that one more 'relevant' than the others?

You'll soon find out why NacMan, once you've been with Autotrader for a bit.

The more you pay the higher up?!

Still don't get this topic and yes you can call me thick.

Relevance means spec colour etc?

If so then depends on the car and also the buyer whether he's from the estate with few pennies or a Tory with extra red notes to dash out for the colour

Funnily enough I had a phone call today from a punter considering visiting but he’s “a distance away”. He lives 5 miles away & considers me almost too far to travel.

I’ve sold an £800 car to a man who travelled 350 miles on the bus for it - 700 miles in one day for an old shitter. 

I’ve sold cars abroad.

I’ve occasionally sold a car that looks expensive locally if it’s slightly ’oddball’.

There’s no set way of selling - every person & every deal is different.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’ve sold an £800 car to a man who travelled 350 miles on the bus for it - 700 miles in one day for an old shitter. 

:lol:

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Funnily enough I had a phone call today from a punter considering visiting but he’s “a distance away”. He lives 5 miles away & considers me almost too far to travel.

I’ve sold cars abroad.

I’ve occasionally sold a car that looks expensive locally if it’s slightly ’oddball’.

There’s no set way of selling - every person & every deal is different.

Lmao 5 miles I could walk that :’) I sold I car to some guy in Cyprus today so hey you got a point,

Just to weigh in, my best was a customer travelling from London to doncaster to buy a £350 avensis trade in, that I couldn't shift. I allowed him £75 trade in on the worst Passat I've ever seen to get him there.  The guy still rings me months after asking silly questions about service history on the avensis. And then people consider 10 miles to far on a 5k motor.