A & S

Cargurus

Is anyone else who is on the free package with Cargurus getting alot of emails. I advertise on AT, Ebay and Gumtree aswell nothing at all from them but Cargurus getting bombarded with emails. Are they upto their old tricks again.

What makes me think its Spamming is that there is plenty of opportunity to tailor there incoming mail, To personalise it, To ask something of the car  of interest, But it is almost always

"I am interested in XXX Car"...……………………….   makes me think not all of these are genuine because again no matter how you nurcher them over the next period of a few days on e-Mail very rarely does it go any further than a single mail

8 hours ago, A & S said:

Is anyone else who is on the free package with Cargurus getting alot of emails. I advertise on AT, Ebay and Gumtree aswell nothing at all from them but Cargurus getting bombarded with emails. Are they upto their old tricks again.

I was only slagging them off yesterday on another thread. Last night 4 emails about two cars lets see if either call today.

Ive had 12 leads from them in 5 weeks, all of which I send an email reply, don't ever get anything back

We've had this subject a few times on here.  They're not fake leads, but more akin (as I think EPV said) to a Facebook 'like'.  Also, I find that our email replies will fairly often fall in to the 'interested' party's spam folder.

Have a look at how the platform works from the customer's end and you'll see the pre-prepared questions they can click on.   These then come through to you as a 'lead'

Whilst I'm not saying CG is awesome, we most certainly do get sales from it (paid package) as do others on here.

Edited by NOACROSS

10 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

We've had this subject a few times on here.  They're not fake leads, but more akin (as I think EPV said) to a Facebook 'like'.  Also, I find that our email replies will fairly often fall in to the 'interested' party's spam folder.

Have a look at how the platform works from the customers end and you'll see the pre-prepared questions they can click on.   These then come through to you as a 'lead'

Whilst I'm not saying CG is awesome, we most certainly do get sales from it (paid package) as do others on here.

I do agree but it seems to come in waves for us. I have had a few very meaty deals directly from car gurus.

My trial ended and no contact about the paid package ....

I can only comment on the paid package, as it was probably  late 2016 since I was on the free one.  It does for sure still come in 'waves' though- you are right.  I think this is how they/their algorithm works, in that you've probably noticed CG banners and individual pics of cars on your browser here and there.  

I think everybody 'gets their turn' on the carousel of pushed advertising.

BTW- I mention this every so often on here, so forgive me- but I STILL get people telling me they saw me on AT.  I've not advertised with the robbers for coming up three years.

Also, remember, that just because someone ends up on your website, or contacts you finally via AT, ebay, CG or whatever- it doesn't mean that that's where they started off with the search or that that platform was the first place they saw your car ad, website link etc. 

For example, a google search will bring up you/your business & or the car on a list of clickable links such as AT, ebay, Motors etc.

I think it was the founder of Tesco's that said 'Half your advertising budget is wasted.  Trouble is, you don't know which half'.

4 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I think this is how they/their algorithm works, in that you've probably noticed CG banners and individual pics of cars on your browser here and there. 

This is very true. I looked up a couple of my own cars on there and i keep seeing them every time i am on the internet

Car Guru free adverts get emails from the customer , but they haven't got any contact info for you , return emails go back to car Guru and that in my mind is were the problem is . The customer gets an email and it normally lands in their junk box . Hence the email doesn't get answered  .

When you swap to a paid advert its a different process and the customer gets the emails . Hence they have more opportunity to answer 

I have done a  good few test emails from friends sending me there inquiry and I have found no issue with my replies going to junk or spam.

I make sure I also have my company web site address in the first line of the  car guru add so that all my  company and contact details are easily found...……………  I can not hold there hand any more than I am on an inquiry, They are just weak inquiries

They arent always strong enquiries. But they are Very, very easy for the customer to send, as has been said above. Not sure how easy? Then go onto CG and have a look. 

The thing is, its really easy to respond too. Just a quick email offering an appointment or call for more info. A minute of your time. I've got plenty of those spare in the day. If they dont come back to me, or it lands in their junk box, thats life. Its significantly less frustrating than the appointment who turns up, drives, announces he has a few more to look at and never comes back and doesnt answer your follow up call. Same result.

Theyre always worth a reply. you just don't know what the outcome will be. some good advice above regarding including website and tel no in the ad. 

CarGurus on TV at moment with advertising so might explain the waves, people will use them when advertising then revert to Autotrader (who are probably top of mind for most people) after.  If AT had a decent marketing manager they'd match Car Gurus TV spend when they are on which would negate it's influence.