TangoVictor32

DVLA V62 issue

Picked up a motor without a v5 from BCA. 

Like it as a runner so thought i would register it in my name. Rang up DVLA and they said they sent a letter out last week asking for address etc of previous owner. This is 5 weeks after the v62 was made. Still waiting on the letter.

Am wondering how long will this all take and will they go back to BCA now asking for details as all I can supply is a bca invoice.

Has anyone else had such an issue where you didn't apply for a v62 in your name but made your buyer do it in his name - potentially causing a long delay?

2 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Like it as a runner so thought i would register it in my name. Rang up DVLA and they said they sent a letter out last week asking for address etc of previous owner. This is 5 weeks after the v62 was made. Still waiting on the letter.

Am wondering how long will this all take and will they go back to BCA now asking for details as all I can supply is a bca invoice.

Has anyone else had such an issue where you didn't apply for a v62 in your name but made your buyer do it in his name - potentially causing a long delay?

You would think the dvla would have the previous owners details on record wouldn't you. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Casper said:

You would think the dvla would have the previous owners details on record wouldn't you. 

They are robotic on the phone and say it is the situation it is and keep repeating it.

Funny thing is i even gave them my email address on v62 yet they resort to postal letters.... They collect data only to sell it on like other companies. Otherwise you would email!

It will open a can of worms for me as i cannot provide the address....:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

They are robotic on the phone and say it is the situation it is and keep repeating it.

Funny thing is i even gave them my email address on v62 yet they resort to postal letters.... They collect data only to sell it on like other companies. Otherwise you would email!

Stupid isn't it you can not get the address cause its not got a v5 Bca cant give you it or get you it due to data protection laws even if they tried they couldn't get it off the vendor again due to data protection laws 

DVLA  have it right there on there computer but probably oh let me guess cant look it up due to data protection laws 

Edited by Casper

Just now, Casper said:

Stupid isn't it you can not get the address cause its not got a v5 Bca cant give you it or get you it due to data protection laws even if they tried they couldn't get it off the vendor again due to data protection laws 

I was told by BCA it's a repossed car - i might be wrong about this but this can make it even worse 

3 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

I was told by BCA it's a repossed car - i might be wrong about this but this can make it even worse 

Well i would agree cause even if dvla send them a letter there only going to bin it it what may help is if it was a voluntary hand back though would still go through as a repo 

Edited by Casper

Usual process is DVLA write to previous keeper asking if they still own the vehicle.

If they confim they don't or they do not reply within 6 weeks DVLA will issue a new V5.

56 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Iv'e just been to the post office with a V62 to tax the car that hasnt got a V5 , put it in the customers name on V62 , taxed it and thats all done , Customer due in 30 mins and its taxed and in her name , so she will get the new V5 delivered to her house . 

13 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Iv'e just been to the post office with a V62 to tax the car that hasnt got a V5 , put it in the customers name on V62 , taxed it and thats all done , Customer due in 30 mins and its taxed and in her name , so she will get the new V5 delivered to her house . 

The good old fashioned way david :D

46 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Yes but customer could have the same issue as me...all hell breaks loose then as they may accuse you of selling a dodgy motor?

55 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Usual process is DVLA write to previous keeper asking if they still own the vehicle.

If they confim they don't or they do not reply within 6 weeks DVLA will issue a new V5.

That could take 3 months then :unsure:

3 hours ago, David Horgan said:

It was already in trade 

4 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Shame you havent got last keepers name and address as there is another way. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

It was already in trade 

Shame you havent got last keepers name and address as there is another way. 

How so?

In fact i couldn't even do pay monthly at post office as dvla put a marker on it to refuse...

I.didn't get 6months or 12 months tax at the time dont like the delayed refund service so i thought pay monthly is better

2 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

How so?

In fact i couldn't even do pay monthly at post office as dvla put a marker on it to refuse...

I.didn't get 6months or 12 months tax at the time dont like the delayed refund service so i thought pay monthly is better

He means the car David taxed at the post office was in the trade .. 

Sorry but i just do not understand this post at all :unsure: why does dvla want registered owners name and address off you when it is already on there system ? i am taking it that you have applied for the log book, and are wanting to tax it to smoke round in ? then the v5 should arrive in 6 weeks.

35 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

Sorry but i just do not understand this post at all :unsure: why does dvla want registered owners name and address off you when it is already on there system ? i am taking it that you have applied for the log book, and are wanting to tax it to smoke round in ? then the v5 should arrive in 6 weeks.

Probably thinking i jacked it?

Am sure on the v62 there is a section about current or previous owners address.

I think i left that blank or put in "purchased at bca - repo car"

If they write to previous owner and it was repossessed he might take the Mickey and say he didnt sell it etc

:rolleyes:

You are supposed to wait four weeks before applying for a new V5C on V62. I (incorrectly) backdate my ownership date four weeks to set the ball rolling immediately.

The DVLA write to the former keeper on their records.

If the former keeper doesn’t respond the DVLA will issue you a new V5C after six weeks.

If the former keeper responds positively & promptly (i.e. before the six week ‘window’) then the DVLA will issue the new V5C as soon as they receive confirmation.

If the former keeper is a twat & is prepared to fork out the price of a postage stamp and tells the DVLA they are still the owner it can take about 3 months - I’ve never had it myself but I know someone who had this years ago.

So basically if you’re doing it correctly the 6 weeks starts after the first 4 weeks! For fear of stating the bleedin’ obvious, if it’s ‘In Trade’ this isn’t a problem as you can tax it straight away & complete the V62 in front of the customer.

13 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

How so?

Thats weird so is it showing in trade?

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

That is weird never heard of that before .. is normally straight forward keep us posted 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

That info doesnt come up on post office computer

She said maybe because its changed hands too often in little time hence dvla might put marker on 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

That info doesnt come up on post office computer

She said maybe because its changed hands too often in little time hence dvla might put marker on 

If the car is in trade you can tax it at the post office.

If it’s not, then it may well show up as already being taxed, then the post office will not be able to tax it.

It might not come up at the post office if it’s in trade. It’s just a “Yes we can” or “No we can’t”

I think the problem may be how you’ve filled out the V62. Should have just ticked section 3  Why can’t you produce a V5c? It’s been lost or stolen. No need to say anything else.

7 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

If the car is in trade you can tax it at the post office.

If it’s not, then it may well show up as already being taxed, then the post office will not be able to tax it.

It might not come up at the post office if it’s in trade. It’s just a “Yes we can” or “No we can’t”

I think the problem may be how you’ve filled out the V62. Should have just ticked section 3  Why can’t you produce a V5c? It’s been lost or stolen. No need to say anything else.

Lost or stolen - wouldn't they be prompted to write to the current keeper then?

Yes. As I said above. Takes up to 6 weeks. Usually less.

They wouldn’t want previous address or anything else from you. Job done.

took about 5 weeks for my last   car i've bought  .. when i went to the post they didn't ask anything  i just said them that i've lost the logbook .

Last Car we bought without a log book was a repo. 

V62 in customers name but couldn't tax as it wasn't registered in the trade (was therefore still registered to prev owner), held the vehicle until our customer received the logbook and could tax it which was around 4/5 weeks

Finally got the letter sent 2nd class...

Asking for sellers / registered keeper details

Or my buyers details

Vin num 

All this was on v62 - sent em an email explaining that i already provided this and told them they should have emailed me as i provided email add... Rather than 2nd class post it and then enclose a 2nd class self stamped envelope too...

5 weeks later and still on square one and faffing about with 2nd class post to make things even quicker...slower