MarkTVS

Cat B write off?

Done a HPI earlier on a 2010 Range Rover Sport which according to HPI was a CAT B in 2010, it’s been on the road ever since with no issues? How is this possible? As far as I was aware a Cat b couldn’t be used on the road at all?

Your right with the cat b cat Mark should be break only for parts... with C and D been repairable at the time now s and n 

like tony said maybe a mix up with a private plate 

Edited by Casper

I have seen Cat Bs advertised before on EBay. Last one a Ferrari.

Casper is correct Cat Bs SHOULDN’T be put back on the road.

But that is just the ABI code. There is no law. Although I believe since they stopped doing VIC checks DVLA will no longer issue V5s to newly repaired A and B category cars.

I think I read somewhere that flood damaged cars would get Cat B although I may be wrong.

6 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I have seen Cat Bs advertised before on EBay. Last one a Ferrari.

Casper is correct Cat Bs SHOULDN’T be put back on the road.

But that is just the ABI code. There is no law. Although I believe since they stopped doing VIC checks DVLA will no longer issue V5s to newly repaired A and B category cars.

I think I read somewhere that flood damaged cars would get Cat B although I may be wrong.

Your correct Some do David think it is dependent on water intake and how long they have been submerged in water etc  

37 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Done a HPI earlier on a 2010 Range Rover Sport which according to HPI was a CAT B in 2010, it’s been on the road ever since with no issues? How is this possible? As far as I was aware a Cat b couldn’t be used on the road at all?

dont touch it

many insurers wont quote on a cat b so they are often run on trade insurance

if insurer was an abi member the policy was that cat b couldnt be put on road but it was down to insurer to confirm buyer ie breaker sent in photos to prove shell crushed after parts removed,if you failed to comply the insurer would ban you from further purchases ,some auction sites used to cut the chassis numbers out and put large cuts in the roof too prior to sale

unfortunately dvla couldnt refuse to issue a log book once vehicle had a vehicle identity check

this loophole was shut when vic abandoned and all members of abi agreed these cars couldnt go back on the road so govt didnt legislate

this is why new s and n categories of damage came out so as to make it easier ho ho..............why ho ho because cars like these range rovers now often get sold with a clear title even though they are well damaged as insurer gets more at salvage auction for them

I've never come across a Cat B on the road. Never come across one for sale, only ever C and D.

Cat B as far as I know has always been breaker only, and these days you need to provide a certificate of destruction for it.

But I don't know what was happening in 2010.

29 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I've never come across a Cat B on the road. Never come across one for sale, only ever C and D.

Cat B as far as I know has always been breaker only, and these days you need to provide a certificate of destruction for it.

But I don't know what was happening in 2010.

On a slightly different note I sold a discovery in 2009 to a breaker for parts and he gave me a certificate  Of destruction back then .remember reading a magazine article about some using a loop hole to put cat bs back on the road guess thats the one Jason mentioned ..  

Had this before on a white 2013 focus. Came to auction as a cat b. Should have been scrapped. After a few checks it’s turns out the owner had a private Reg. They wrote off a white 2013 focus, then bought the exact same model, colour and year and transferred the Reg to it. Reg was still flagged to the wrote off previous car. Once HPI notified with chassis numbers all cleared up within 24 hours. 

23 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

bottom line is you "used" to be able get a v5 for a cat b, you can not now, as for quote "it’s been on the road ever since with no issues?" is because it is not the same vehicle.................

3 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

bottom line is you "used" to be able get a v5 for a cat b, you can not now, as for quote "it’s been on the road ever since with no issues?" is because it is not the same vehicle.................

The car has had a private reg put on it within the last few months, how would dvla do this if the car isn’t meant to be on the road? 

31 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

The car has had a private reg put on it within the last few months, how would dvla do this if the car isn’t meant to be on the road? 

Interesting wonder if its like tony said and maybe something   To do with a cat been put on the plate  .keep us posted 

was reading up on the subject and like other have said its not illegal or wasn't in 2010 to put a cat b back on the road it was only the recommended insurance cat tht b was break only  its seems reading on other forums etc a few have been put back on the road in previous years and a new v5 log book issued though not sure about present .

never really thought about it till this post although would be good to get to the bottom off it out of interest .   

Edited by Casper

On 8/16/2019 at 9:46 PM, MarkTVS said:
On 8/16/2019 at 6:15 PM, have a word with the wife said:

where does it say "isn't meant to be on the road " ? if dvla issued a v5c in 2010 then theres no reason it could not have had multiple plate changes ? read up about cat b "extensive damage";)

• Like 1

Is it Cat B on VRM and VIN?  Have had in life cars put on the V-Car before due to input errors by insurers on either the chassis or reg when it matches a similar rental car.  Ball ache to get off but they can do it.

• Like 1